20.2 to 20.3; Did my upgrade fail?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AMRoberts
Level 1
Level 1

20.2 to 20.3; Did my upgrade fail?

Post by AMRoberts »

Hi,

Ran the upgrade from 20.2 to 20.3 on my main home laptop this morning after grabbing a snapshot (I appreciate that 21 is out, have looked at it on another machine, found the look-and-feel changes non-compelling). As a bit of "operator context" that applies below, this was before my first coffee in the morning :lol:

The update proceeded without problem, I rebooted per instructions, system came back up. Checking system reports, the Perform usrmerge conversion report was displayed; so I did the apt install usrmerge and reboot. Yes, I skipped over the part saying that new installations from 20.1 onward were already merged. Given that the laptop began its born-again-Linux-life as straight 20.2 install, it shouldn't even have needed a standalone usrmerge action???

I continue to get the report recommending the conversion. Shouldn't this have been "once and done?"

As a possibly-related piece of information, when I tried to fire up Software Manager to install the legacy theme, it wouldn't start. I'd see the spinner for a few seconds, then nothing. Following a post in the forums I used apt reinstall mintinstall ... This completed, then Software Manager would launch and present its GUI normally.

Taken together I'm noobie-uneasy with respect to whether my upgrade was a clean success or not. Any advice, either to roll-back to my Timeshift taken just before the upgrade and try again, or some manual work to confirm that the state of the "usrmerge stuff" is correct and make system reports understand its done?

Thanks,
Alan
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: 20.2 to 20.3; Did my upgrade fail?

Post by SMG »

AMRoberts wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:37 pmThe update proceeded without problem, I rebooted per instructions, system came back up. Checking system reports, the Perform usrmerge conversion report was displayed; so I did the apt install usrmerge and reboot. Yes, I skipped over the part saying that new installations from 20.1 onward were already merged. Given that the laptop began its born-again-Linux-life as straight 20.2 install, it shouldn't even have needed a standalone usrmerge action???
That is my understanding, but you should not have had problems with Software Manager had everything gone well so hard to say what might have happened.

Here is more information on usrmerge How to upgrade to Linux Mint 20.2 and [SOLVED] USRMERGE, how to run it again?.

Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click the Copy button in the lower right and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware. We can see if that data looks like it should for LM20.3.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Installation & Boot”