LMDE6 Wayland or XWindows [solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

LMDE6 Wayland or XWindows [solved]

Post by MurphCID »

A silly question which I cannot seem to find: Will LMDE 6 use Wayland or XWindows for graphics?
Last edited by MurphCID on Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LMDE6 Wayland or XWindows

Post by SMG »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:16 am A silly question which I cannot seem to find: Will LMDE 6 use Wayland or XWindows for graphics?
Cinnamon runs on X Server. It does not currently run on Wayland and there are no plans in the near future for it to run on Wayland. I would expect that long-term it will probably do so.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: LMDE6 Wayland or XWindows [solved]

Post by MurphCID »

Thank you that answers my question.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: LMDE6 Wayland or XWindows [solved]

Post by JosephM »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:22 am Thank you that answers my question.
Just to clarify something. Wayland has little to do with you distro but with your desktop environment of choice. That's what decides if you can use Wayland or not.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
hd66
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hd66 »

SMG wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:20 am
MurphCID wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:16 am A silly question which I cannot seem to find: Will LMDE 6 use Wayland or XWindows for graphics?
Cinnamon runs on X Server. It does not currently run on Wayland and there are no plans in the near future for it to run on Wayland. I would expect that long-term it will probably do so.
Im wondering about something :
maybe wayland adaptation has been secretly prepared as iphone was a top secret project at apple ;)
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4591
if we follow that link, we could consider as :
Wayland

The work started on Wayland. As mentioned earlier this year, this was identified as one of the major challenges our project had to tackle in the mid to long term. Priority had been given to ISO tools and Secureboot over new features for 21.3 already, we felt it was time to invest some resources into Wayland as well.

Here’s Cinnamon running in Wayland:

We don’t expect it to replace Xorg as default any time soon, not in 21.3, not in 22.x, but we want to be ready all the same.

Cinnamon 6.0, planned for Mint 21.3 this year, will feature experimental Wayland support. You’ll be able to select between Cinnamon (the default session, running on Xorg) and Cinnamon on Wayland from the login screen.

The Wayland session won’t be as stable as the default one. It will lack features and it will come with its own limitations. We won’t recommend it but you’ll be able to give it a shot if you want to and it’ll be there for interested people if they want to give us feedback.

A board was set up to keep track of Wayland development. It’s available at https://trello.com/b/HHs01Pab/cinnamon-wayland.

As you can see on the board many things are missing or broken but we’ve got a functional session with window, applications and workspace management. We’re able to log in, run most apps, manipulate windows, workspaces, nemo, the panel etc..

We wanted to have a clear picture of the work involved, so we wanted to start now. In terms of timing we don’t think we need Wayland support to be fully ready (i.e. to be a better Cinnamon option for most people) before 2026 (Mint 23.x). That leaves us 2 years to identify and to fix all the issues. It’s something we’ll continue to work on. Whenever it happens, assuming it does, we’ll consider switching defaults. We’ll use the best tools to do the job and provide the best experience. Today that means Xorg. Tomorrow it might mean Wayland. We’ll be ready and compatible with both.
i dont really think it took them less than six month to adapt, or even start the adaptation, of wayland to linux mint, especially when others majors distros (ubuntu, fedora & co) are on the railway or even almost ready to be used with wayland, by default or not ;)

that's sounds right, when the blogger says "was awaited rfom lot of users" ;)

even the less graphical and user-friendly unix-like distro started to have a glance on it ;) :
https://xenocara.org/Wayland_on_OpenBSD.html

maybe a way to get a little script to "test" by install & run by default wayland, on testing computers of volunteers?
for mint of course, but especially LMDE (im in for it!), but maybe im asking too much, or too early.. :)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

harrollld wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:59 pmIm wondering about something :
I'm wondering why you are posting on a SOLVED topic from June about whether LMDE 6 would be released with Wayland. LMDE 6 has already been released and it did not get released with Wayland.

This is not a discussion topic. Discussion topics go in the Other Topics & Open Discussion and not in Beginner Questions.

If you would like to start a discussion about your theories of Wayland development and why you think a fellow user of Mint should know what would be happening four months in the future, please create your own topic.

Locking this solved topic.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”