[SOLVED] Why no Edge edition for the Mint 21 series?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

[SOLVED] Why no Edge edition for the Mint 21 series?

Post by Pjotr »

In the Mint 20 series, there used to be an Edge edition with an HWE kernel for support for very new hardware. Very useful.

Not so in the Mint 21 series. What happened and why was it dropped?

I may have missed or overlooked something (an announcement or something like that); if so, I'd appreciate a link to such an announcement....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Why no Edge edition for the Mint 21 series?

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Maybe Mint's blog is a better place for this question but, yes, I'm also missing some information about it.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Why no Edge edition for the Mint 21 series?

Post by SMG »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:30 amI may have missed or overlooked something (an announcement or something like that); if so, I'd appreciate a link to such an announcement....
In this blog post
Upcoming Releases

We’re planning three releases for the Summer (or Winter if you’re in the South Hemisphere):

Linux Mint 21.2
An EDGE ISO release with kernel 5.19
LMDE 6, based on the upcoming Debian 12 (set for release in June)

In order for all releases to get the 21.2 changes, they should come out in that order, with up to a month separating the Mint 21.2 and the LMDE 6 releases.

No ETAs have been decided yet.
Considering 5.19 goes end of life next month, I hope they use 6.2 which just became available in Update Manager.

Edge ISOs were always released after the release of the point version and not at the same time.
Pjotr wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:30 amNot so in the Mint 21 series. What happened and why was it dropped?
It's my understanding the purpose of the Edge ISO was so that people who could not boot the standard ISO even in compatibility mode could install Linux Mint. So far, I've not seen anyone who was not able to install Linux Mint--even those running 13th-gen Intel and 7000 series Ryzens--so the specific need for it has not yet arisen as far as I am aware. However, I expect the time will be coming when it will be needed.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: [SOLVED] Why no Edge edition for the Mint 21 series?

Post by Pjotr »

Thanks!
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”