How to upgrade to Linux Mint 21.2

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

How to upgrade to Linux Mint 21.2

Post by clem »

Tuor
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 21.2 “Victoria” Cinnamon released!

Post by Tuor »

Just updated to 21.2, so far, no problems.
Inundated
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Inundated »

Smooth upgrade, and 21.2 is running smooth as well!
LAPTOP: HP - Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon via SSD with Windows 11 on hardware
DESKTOP: Lenovo ThinkCentre M83 SFF- Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (on hold for now)
busdriver12
Level 3
Level 3

Post by busdriver12 »

I'm not getting anything at all in System Reports. There's nothing in the edit menu of Update Manager. I find it odd nothing is appearing here despite the blog post stating the update for 21.2 is out.

Edit: Followed instructions in the blog to obtain the latest version of mintupdate by resetting my software sources. Once done, reverted to my local mirrors and successfully updated. Only had it running for 5 minutes and like the changes to the appearance of the panel :)
Phil

Linux Mint 21.3
Cinnamon 6.0.4
mikaelrask
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to upgrade to Linux Mint 21.2

Post by mikaelrask »

updated two laptops and one workstation with xfce it went fine with no problems at all, good work LM team keep up the good work.
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900
Graphic Card: AMD ATI Radeon RX 7900 XT/7900 XTX/7900M
Ram 32 GB ddr 5
Kernel: 6.5.0-14 generic
LM Cinnamon 21.3 edge
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

Trying to upgrade an xfce system, but some of the repositories are so slooooow - the mint themes and icons are getting a mere 20k/sec....
Total_Blue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Total_Blue »

I've updated my desktop and two laptops to Cinnamon with no issue. My only complaint about the upgrade is that the Software Manager now takes a while to load up, when I just tested it, it took 15 seconds to start. other than that, everything looks great.

Edited to say it took 15 seconds on my laptop, however on my desktop, it is taking 5 seconds to load up.
SpookyFodder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SpookyFodder »

Upgraded from 21.1. Very smooth, very fast. No fuss, no muss. Thank you Clem and team.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

I followed the steps, doing timeshift and checking the applets. But I'm stuck in 20.3 and no upgrade appears in the update manager edit menu section, what am I doing wrong. I really REALLY don't want to do a fresh install.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

wutsinterweb wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:42 pm I followed the steps, doing timeshift and checking the applets. But I'm stuck in 20.3 and no upgrade appears in the update manager edit menu section, what am I doing wrong.
There is no upgrade path straight from LM20.3 to LM21.2.

Please see Upgrade Instructions (updated for LM21.1) for links to the blog posts for how to upgrade from LM20.3 to LM21. After you have upgraded to LM21 then you can upgrade to Mint 21.2.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

I've updated as per your information, it took a long time, but success! The warnings were very helpful.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

vgstef's post can be found in a dedicated thread now: Linux Mint 21.2 Mate: 2 bugs left, any fixes?
Reason: Support requests should not be placed in an announcement thread
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

The issue I have (I'm in Australia) is that the upgrade process changes my Mirrors (in the update manager software sources) to ones in the US and UK, which are painfully slow.

Will the relevant upgrade packages be rolled-out to local mirrors as well?

Mike.
milasx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by milasx »

I have upgraded from 21.1 and I had an error saying that the upgrade failed but it seems that the system has been upgraded in terms of icons / Blueman and Pix. Is it possible that it did not fully upgrade?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

milasx wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:04 pm I have upgraded from 21.1 and I had an error saying that the upgrade failed but it seems that the system has been upgraded in terms of icons / Blueman and Pix. Is it possible that it did not fully upgrade?
Please create a new topic for your issue in the Software & Applications forum and make sure to provide your System Information as described in section 5 of How to get help.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mingle wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:00 am The issue I have (I'm in Australia) is that the upgrade process changes my Mirrors (in the update manager software sources) to ones in the US and UK, which are painfully slow.

Will the relevant upgrade packages be rolled-out to local mirrors as well?
Please see this post earlier in this topic.
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midnight True »

Just finished updating and it was smooth sailing and works like a charm 🥳🥳🥳 Another great job for Clem and Team and to the community 🥳🥳🥳 A Millions Thanks 🙏🙏🙏

By the way, for those who wish to have visual guide on updating, i recommend to see https://youtu.be/pSL8SYtbVik by Switched to Linux: "Upgrading Mint to 21.2"
Popeye007
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Popeye007 »

Bonjour...3 Machines mises à jour de Linux Mint 21.1 vers Linux Mint 21.2....L'une (une vieille bécane de bureau Acer 1100 ) en interface graphique xfce,les 2 autres (des notebooks Samsung N210) en interface Mate........Zéro souci Bravo à l'équipe de développement!!!!

Moderator note: automated translation to English:
Hello...3 Machines updated from Linux Mint 21.1 to Linux Mint 21.2....One (an old Acer 1100 desktop bike) in xfce graphical interface, the other 2 (Samsung N210 notebooks) in Mate interface........Zero worries Congratulations to the development team!!!!
Last edited by SMG on Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added translation because all posts in this section should be in English.
octathlon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by octathlon »

Step 2 of the instructions says: "If you installed Cinnamon spices (applets, desklets, extensions, themes), upgrade them from the System Settings."

But I can't find anything in System Settings about how to upgrade them. I looked under Applets and I can see the ones I have installed/activated, but no indication of which version it is or if there is an upgrade for it. Same with right-clicking the applet and checking the "About" screen. Also on the Spices website I can't find anything about how to check if a newer version is available or how to upgrade.

Sorry if I'm missing something blatantly obvious, but can anyone tell me how to upgrade spices/applets?
Full-time Linux user since 2007, Mint since 2014
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

octathlon wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:46 amSorry if I'm missing something blatantly obvious, but can anyone tell me how to upgrade spices/applets?
Upgrades for spices/applets come through Update Manager. If you have been running updates as they come through and did not blacklist any updates, then I would expect you have the latest versions available.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”