Need help regarding Compiz guys, please help me out.

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jimmy7782
Level 1
Level 1

Need help regarding Compiz guys, please help me out.

Post by Jimmy7782 »

Back in the day I used Ubuntu and then Ultimate Edition Linux. Ultimate was a beast and it had a million ways to customize your
desktop but also all the crazy compiz fusion settings I had were so awesome that ppl thought I had a computer from 15 years into
the future. I made the coolest look and I miss it. Everytime I try to get compiz fusion going in Linux Mint, after 15 minutes the window
borders dissappear and it causes too many issues to keep it. I believe the window manager in Mate is Marco and marco is blamed
for a lot of issues regarding compiz on mint today. Guys I wanna make it look cool again and if you use Mate and got compiz going.
give me some tips to have it running stable ? Thanks, I need to pimp my laptop.
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Need help regarding Compiz guys, please help me out.

Post by Pjotr »

Unfortunately, Compiz and stable are mutually exclusive. I loved those burning windows, though. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Jimmy7782
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jimmy7782 »

Bro the snow, rain effects the sphere with 3D windows, fire, airplane, tile shifter combined with cairo dock
on ultimate edition was the best looking distro by far ever. Ultimate recently made a UE edition based off
Arch and i have yet to try it but the screens look very good. Even if I can just get half the effects without
the window manager crashing and working, I would greatly appreciate you guys. How can they ditch this
project that made Linux by far the coolest looking desktop ever ? Also if you have alteratives or any suggestions
I would also be greatful
Jimmy7782
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jimmy7782 »

Guys I set up the compiz and when I enabled compiz in terminal I got some errors and here
is a screenshot, helping me with these errors might just fix the issues.
compiz errors screen.png
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Jimmy7782 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:21 pm Guys I set up the compiz and when I enabled compiz in terminal
When you said you "enabled compiz in terminal", you have probably already done something very wrong.

A default Linux Mint Mate installation have Compiz preinstalled. The compositor / windows manager is supposed to be selected in (Menu) > Desktop Settings > Windows > Window Manager. Then you click the "Configure Compiz" button to further fine tune.

Let me borrow words from another thread viewtopic.php?p=2279938#p2279938
rickNS wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:08 pm If you have messed up the Compiz settings, Don't try "reset to defaults" in preferences, it will leave you with a blank profile in Mint 21.1. Instead you can get your proper "stock" profile back by booting your Mint installation USB stick, and export the compiz profile to another usb device, then import that back into your actual machine.
p.s. I am going to ask moderator to move this topic to the appropriate Compiz board viewforum.php?f=212 within 24 hours. "Forum rules" on webpage header wrote "Please do not post support questions here."
frisil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by frisil »

Don't know if it's still important, but if you are interested in compiz try this:

remove the installed ubuntu-repo-version and get this one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wcbrow01/compiz-reloaded
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install compiz compiz-mate compiz-plugins-default compiz-plugins-extra compiz-plugins-experimental emerald fusion-icon simple-ccsm

starting fusion icon shows a symbol in the panel (at least with Mate) where you can switch windows managers on the fly and reload compiz if problems arise. This version works well, even with experimental components (cubemodels and screensaver plugins). Runs stable enough to work with and if it malfunctions, you can always reload compiz with one click on fusion-icon.

On modern hardware compiz looks even better than in the olden days because you can use hires skydomes now. I even wrote a script that changes all wallpapers on all viewports randomly every six hours by creating a new ini file from a template and overwrite the old one with it. Compiz instantly notices and updates, no need to restart, no need to reload. Splendid, try it out.

Hope that helps. At least I now have the compiz desktop I always wished for.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Maybe try Xfce version instead of MATE.

You may need to install some compiz packages. I'd suggest using Synaptic Package Manager and search for compiz to get a list of what is available to install.

Also, in Xfce, you'd want to go in Settings, Desktop Settings. From the Windows section, change Window Manager to Compiz.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”