6.2 Kernel

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

6.2 Kernel

Post by MurphCID »

The 6.2 kernel series just appeared in the Update Manager, so I installed it. So far so good, no apparent issues, I will see how the power goes on the battery using the 10th gen Intel Lemur Pro.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: 6.2 Kernel

Post by AZgl1800 »

was wondering if it would ever be available for my laptop, it doesn't like some versions,
downloading it now, and will give it a try.
lucky that grub will let me back up if it don't go well.

kernel 62.jpg
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Well,
the first boot after 6.2 was installed, froze solid, when I tried to start Firefox.

no mouse, no kybd action, so was forced to Power OFF via BIOS.

power back ON, and it booted just fine, and so far, is working okay.

This is not the first Kernel that has done this, many of them cause this laptop to freeze when they first boot up the new kernel.... something goes awry during the install phase...
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

In my new desktop with Mint 21.1 installed, 6.2.0-26 shows up under Kernels in the Update Manager and is supported until August 2024. It isn't active, though.

6.1.0-1017-oem is the active one and it's supported until April of 2027. Since this series is the one recommend to me by SMG to help with the graphics card issues I was having, is supported for longer than 6.2, and "ain't broke", methinks I won't "fix it" (stay with it).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:50 pm In my new desktop with Mint 21.1 installed, 6.2.0-26 shows up under Kernels in the Update Manager and is supported until August 2024. It isn't active, though.

6.1.0-1017-oem is the active one and it's supported until April of 2027. Since this series is the one recommend to me by SMG to help with the graphics card issues I was having, is supported for longer than 6.2, and "ain't broke", methinks I won't "fix it" (stay with it).
+1
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2
duracell80
Level 3
Level 3

Post by duracell80 »

Really looking forward to trying to get up to 6 on my more recent hardware. The edge ISO too I would like to embrace that. I have a mini PC that really struggles to boot under 5.x. an almost 10 year old laptop works perfectly but this modern BIOS stuff just kills my boot up. Across most distros under 5.x.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

well,
except for the very first boot up, the 6.2 kernel is working just fine for me now.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

So far, it’s working just great on every system installed it on. A real winner.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:01 pm So far, it’s working just great on every system installed it on. A real winner.
I am doing just fine with it, I have had other kernels in the past that won't completely boot up after the install

and thinking back, I do believe it is when I have installed a kernel that is NOT in the same series.

Still, it has never been a serious issue.
BIOS Power down, restart and it completes the boot up like it should.
rheinfels

Post by rheinfels »

i was just wondering: why update at all if you don't really need it (like newer hardware)?

isn't a LTS kernel usually to be preferred freely after the motto "main thing stable"?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

rheinfels wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:42 pm i was just wondering: why update at all if you don't really need it (like newer hardware)?

isn't a LTS kernel usually to be preferred freely after the motto "main thing stable"?
I just did it to see what the difference is if any.

I can always use Timeshift to go back, but, I can't feel any difference.
if there are some hidden new features that I have not seen yet, that is a bonus.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

rheinfels wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:42 pm i was just wondering: why update at all if you don't really need it (like newer hardware)?

Much of my hardware (this time around) is pretty new, so it works pretty well with the 6.2 kernel.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I have always stayed away from newer kernels unless I absolutely had to (which was like twice in 10 years). So I stay with the "if it ain't broke" thing. But that is for my daily drivers and systems I support. It's good folks will test new kernels. I would like to do it but I just don't have any of the newer stuff to do it on - all my gear is 5 to 12 years old. :( :(
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

One thing I have noticed is that since I installed the kernel, my mouse speed is like uber-turbo. The mouse just flies across the screen with the slightest movement. It is not bad, just strange. This is across all laptops.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:31 pm One thing I have noticed is that since I installed the kernel, my mouse speed is like uber-turbo. The mouse just flies across the screen with the slightest movement. It is not bad, just strange. This is across all laptops.
I have always used Acceleration with my mouse settings,
so I did not notice this, until just now,
yes, the mouse response is faster than before
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

I used MainlIne kernels for awhile until SMG enlightened me that they are not updated automatically and may have a short support period. Went back to OEM kernels
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

had an oopsy daisy today,
my new Bluetooth headphones are very flakey about linking up with my laptop,
I have to keep trying over and over to get audio to be sent thru them....
they show "connected" but no audio path.

while I was trying to force them to connect, the mouse quit moving??

huh, this is not good....
the kybd would not respond either, the full system is locked up solid.
so, BIOS power down.

Power back on and it locks up again, did not complete the reboot...
I thought I saw a Flash on the screen stating "disk che....." poof it was gone.

pulled out the ISO stick and in live session, used Timeshift to restore back to yesterday,
But, when I looked at the backup, it was time-stamped at the exact hour-minute that the laptop locked up....

that made me think something is really wrong, so I selected a 2 week old Timeshift, and now I am back to the regular 5.xx kernel that had before I installed the 6.2 kernel....
gonna leave 6.2 in the ether, not fooling with it anymore.

leaving it right here....
FX705GM Kernel: 5.15.0-78-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 5.8.4 Distro: Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

So far it is running great, no issues at all on any of the laptops. Battery life is good, other than mouse "zoomies" no problems. I always look at it as if Mint puts it in the update manager, it is solid enough for me to put on my systems.
duracell80
Level 3
Level 3

Post by duracell80 »

So far had one noticable issue with laptop sound and 6.2. With the ac adapter plugged in while booting sound is then forever messed up. Everything is there name wise everything checks out ok, apps play, volume meters bounce around ok.

Reboot without the power cable attached and I get sound working. Plug the cable in after boot and login, sound continues to work.
scjet45
Level 4
Level 4

Re: 6.2 Kernel [FIXED]

Post by scjet45 »

Lost the Dual-boot grub menu after upgrading to kernel 6.2.0-26:

Upgraded, (via sudo apt update\upgrade), my linux mint 21.1 (MATE) kernel from
Linux SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC 5.19.0-50-generic x86_64
to
Linux SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC 6.2.0-26-generic x86_64,
on my DesktopPC.

/etc/default/grub was still the same as before but now there's no grub menu and can not dual boot into Win11 ?

It appears at first glance grub.cfg, .., did not completely modify.?.
-rebooted, tried sudo update-grub, and it finds both (uefi) OS's but still there's is no grub-menu, no timeout countdown, and no verbose booting ?

/etc/default/grub (before and after):

Code: Select all

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
#   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
#GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:
I also successfully upgraded from Linux Mint 21.1 -> to 21.2.
...and after the last "sudo update-grub" I completely powered it down, and then powered it back up.
Everything is fine now,
(or maybe it was all that beer I accidentally spilled on the keyboard), :) -sort-of kidding.
Anyway, since I have a discrete (older GTX-670) nvidia card, maybe it just needed to grab/add a

Code: Select all

gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
for grub.cfg.?
...it now dual-boots showing grub menu, ... All is good so far.
MATE 21.3 | Lenovo Legion 5 17ACH6

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”