Crash in Nemo

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
betops
Level 1
Level 1

Crash in Nemo

Post by betops »

In Jauary 2023 I ran into a crash with a core dumped while using nemo, also found three more issues related to that and no dev has answered my detailed bug report after ~half a year.
Given that a crash with a core dumped is not a minor issue and given that I waited for more than 6 months I just thought this would be a good place to make this problems more visible to the comunity.

https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/3157

Thanks to everyone!
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Crash in Nemo

Post by SMG »

betops wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:11 am In Jauary 2023 I ran into a crash with a core dumped while using nemo, also found three more issues related to that and no dev has answered my detailed bug report after ~half a year.
Given that a crash with a core dumped is not a minor issue and given that I waited for more than 6 months I just thought this would be a good place to make this problems more visible to the comunity.
This forum is where people post their issues to get help with them.

As per the forum rules for getting help, please provide your system information. Open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click the Copy button in the lower right and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
betops
Level 1
Level 1

Post by betops »

I believe there is no need for me to disclose anything beyond the output of the two commands provided below. This information suffices to inform individuals of my current environment. It's important to note that hardware is unrelated to the issues I have reported.

For further details, please refer to the GitHub link. There, you will find comprehensive information, including a script I authored for generating a safe tree of test directories and files with randomized data. Step-by-step videos outlining the procedure to replicate the issues, along with a thoroughly detailed description, are also available.

Feel free to peruse the content and follow the instructions to reproduce the four reported issues. This includes the CRITICAL error found in Nemo, Crash with Segmentation fault (dore dumped)"
I upgraded to LM21.2 recently, and the problems remain reproducible. Nothing has changed.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -S && nemo --version
System:
  Host: lucrecia Kernel: 5.15.0-78-generic x86_64 bits: 64
    Desktop: Cinnamon 5.8.4 Distro: Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria
nemo 5.8.4
This post aims to connect with the developers and kindly request their attention to the matter I reported on GitHub.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

betops wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:51 am This post aims to connect with the developers and kindly request their attention to the matter I reported on GitHub.
GitHub is where the developers are active. This board is primarily intended for Linux Mint users to help each other with Linux Mint questions and problems. This forum specifically is for getting help with programming; if you want to program.

I took a quick look at your issue and while it contains a lot of information, the key part — a stack trace with debug symbols of the core dump — is not included that I can see. I suggest if you can reliably reproduce the issue to include a stack trace with debug symbols. There are a lot of things taking developer attention and the better you provide information the more likely they can and will look into an issue. See also our Troubleshooting Guide: https://linuxmint-troubleshooting-guide ... en/latest/

If you don't know how, the general summarized steps to get a stack trace with debug symbols are:
  • Enable source code repositories in Software Sources
  • Install the package debian-goodies
  • Run coredumpctl to check that you have a recent saved core dump for Nemo. Note the path of the executable. Most likely /usr/bin/nemo
  • Run sudo find-dbgsym-packages --install /path/you/found with the path you found in the previous step. This installs the debug symbol packages, so the stack trace will have useful information.
  • If the saved Nemo core dump was the most recent core dump you can now debug it with command coredumpctl debug. If it was not the most recent, take its PID from the coredumpctl list and run coredumpctl debug PID where you replace PID with the PID from the coredumpctl list.
  • The debugger now starts and gives you a gdb command prompt. IIRC now you can run these commands to get the stack trace:

Code: Select all

set logging file stacktrace.txt
    set logging enabled on
    set pagination off
    thread apply all backtrace full
    quit
  • In the current directory you should find a file stacktrace.txt. Attach that to the issue.

Return to “Programming & Development”