[SOLVED] Only One Entry Field For Both Singular And Plural Translation

Help translate Linux Mint to other languages
Forum rules
No support questions here please. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RadinShirzad
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Only One Entry Field For Both Singular And Plural Translation

Post by RadinShirzad »

Hi!
I am a member of Linux Mints translation (English => Persian) on Launchpad,
As you might already know, when there is a sentence that has both a plural and singular form in English,
Launchpad puts both English forms on top of the field and asks for only one Persian translation.
This is fine most of the time because most of the time we don't need separated translations for plurals and singulars in Persian.
for instance:
This will take %s minute and This will take %s minutes will both translate to: این %s دقیقه طول خواهد کشید
But, a few days ago I came across one of these sentences that actually needed one translation per singular/plural form.
What should I do with it? is there a way to add a second translation field or something like that?
Thank you everyone in advance for your answers!

UPDATE : After consulting a few other translators who have better insight on this problem we concluded we needed to add another plural to the language on Launchpad.
If you need to do something similar, you can ask to add a new plural to your language on https://answers.launchpad.net/
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Only One Entry Field For Both Singular And Plural Translation

Post by SMG »

RadinShirzad wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:19 amBut, a few days ago I came across one of these sentences that actually needed one translation per singular/plural form.
Can you provide the example?

When I went through the code on your other question, there were specific places in the code which indicated if a line/field would be translated. My guess (and it is a guess) that the code defines space for only one line/field for the translation so a second one could not be added unless the code is changed to allow for it. However, we could probably check to see if that is the case in the situation you are describing.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
RadinShirzad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RadinShirzad »

SMG wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:09 pm Can you provide the example?
The picture at the bottom is the translation I'm talking about.
Its singular translation is : در انتظار پیوند فایل از به
and its plural translation is: در انتظار پیوند فایل‌ها از به
currently, I have translated it as singular, which is fine and readable. But still, it's better if it is done the right way, right?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

RadinShirzad wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:32 amThe picture at the bottom is the translation I'm talking about.
Going through that file, there appear to be quite a few situations like that (file / files).

What I decided to do was check another language which was already translated to see how it was handled. Here is Nemo 891-900 French translations. On that page, 891, 893, 895, and 899 all have an English singular and an English plural. There is a French translation for each. The singular is "Current French[0]:" and the plural is "Current French[1]:". I would guess there is a way (maybe after you complete "Current Persian[0]:"? ) to add a second field for the plural.

I have not done translation so I am not familiar with the software to know what options might be available.

Maybe someone else will know.
RadinShirzad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RadinShirzad »

SMG wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:53 pm
RadinShirzad wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:32 amThe picture at the bottom is the translation I'm talking about.
Going through that file, there appear to be quite a few situations like that (file / files).
I saw the French example, that is exactly what I am trying to do, but I couldn't find any options in Launchpad that toggle a second field.
But thank you anyways.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

RadinShirzad wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:19 amI am a member of Linux Mints translation (English => Persian) on Launchpad
I did some searching and came across this page Plural forms information for languages where it indicates, "When you ask that a new language be added to Launchpad or you see that the information Launchpad has about a language is incomplete, you will need to provide plural form information."

Maybe this has not yet been set up to define the plurals? I think this might be the case because I found this FAQ question How do I enter plural forms when translating?.

I also found this answered question Gilaki plural forms so maybe just ask the question on Launchpad about how to get another entry field. You are entering the translations into Launchpad so I would expect they would be able to help.
RadinShirzad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RadinShirzad »

SMG wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:04 pm Maybe this has not yet been set up to define the plurals.
Thanks a lot for your time and efforts.
I read through the posts you tagged, and it seems like Persian has been set up correctly.
Persian uses one plural form for any number of items, which has been correctly set up in Launchpad.
I am no linguist so maybe I have not described the situation in the best possible way, but as I understand,
from what I know about Persian and what I read on Launchpad's help pages, this one sentence seems to be an exception.
So I will translate it as singular -which is just fine as I said before-.

Have a nice Day! (or night)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

RadinShirzad wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:34 amI read through the posts you tagged, and it seems like Persian has been set up correctly.
Then why are you not being given a place to translate the singular and a place to translate the plural?
RadinShirzad wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:34 amPersian uses one plural form for any number of items
So does English and so does French, but both those languages are showing a place for a singular and a place for a plural. That's why I think this may be an issue in Launchpad and why I suggested you ask the question on Launchpad. There may be a bug somewhere which needs fixed.
RadinShirzad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RadinShirzad »

SMG wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:31 am Then why are you not being given a place to translate the singular and a place to translate the plural?
Well, I took this question to a translators' group on Element, and I am waiting for them to answer, once they did and if it wasn't helpful I will take it to the Launchpad forums as well.
The reason I insist on this not being Launchpad's issue is that I have translated more than half of Linux Mint on Launchpad and I have never encountered something like this; which is making me doubt if there is a problem with my translation on this particular sentence🤷

Return to “Translations”