Would you purchase a computer from a Linux system maker?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Would you purchase a computer from a Linux System maker?

Yes
32%
No
11%
I prefer to build my own
34%
To expensive
15%
Other
9%

Total votes: 82

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Would you purchase a computer from a Linux system maker?

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:15 pm Not to offend anyone here, but I am a real port and battery slut, and I want lots of ports and battery life on my laptops. Just a personal quirk.
I also prefer a plethora of ports and battery charge life but often you have to settle for what you can get. In exchange for the number of ports and drives I have in my monster laptop (both being essential), I had to sacrifice battery charge life.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:15 pm Not to offend anyone here, but I am a real port and battery slut, and I want lots of ports and battery life on my laptops. Just a personal quirk.
same here Murph,

when my previous laptop lost all of its' USB-2 ports, and only had a single USB-3 port that would work, that put it in the recycle bin...

I still have it, but it is useless to me.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
wwblm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wwblm »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:26 pm I also prefer a plethora of ports and battery charge life but often you have to settle for what you can get. In exchange for the number of ports and drives I have in my monster laptop (both being essential), I had to sacrifice battery charge life.
Jeanie,

Just curious, what do you do with all those drives?

Wade
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

wwblm wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:59 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:26 pm I also prefer a plethora of ports and battery charge life but often you have to settle for what you can get. In exchange for the number of ports and drives I have in my monster laptop (both being essential), I had to sacrifice battery charge life.
Jeanie,

Wade
Uh, store data? :?

All seriousness aside :wink: , most of the space being used is for movies and I have a lot of e-books, music and photos. I also keep my home "office" as paperless as I legally can.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:22 pm
wwblm wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:59 pm
Jeanie,

Wade
Uh, store data? :?

All seriousness aside :wink: , most of the space being used is for movies and I have a lot of e-books, music and photos. I also keep my home "office" as paperless as I legally can.
I have been wanting to ask just WTH you do that needs so much data space?
I just last month, filled up a 1TB drive of important paperless documents, downloaded ISOs, PDFs on equipment, from 20 plus years of saving stuff like that....

to solve that problem, I just put in a 4TB drive to let me keep it all in one place for the rest of my life. I have two 8TB SeaGate USB Hub drives for archiving stuff.

4tb space.jpg
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:53 pm ...I have been wanting to ask just WTH you do that needs so much data space?
I just last month, filled up a 1TB drive of important paperless documents, downloaded ISOs, PDFs on equipment, from 20 plus years of saving stuff like that....

to solve that problem, I just put in a 4TB drive to let me keep it all in one place for the rest of my life. I have two 8TB SeaGate USB Hub drives for archiving stuff.

4tb space.jpg
We all have different needs. Purchased movies, TV series, etc. as well as books and music take up a tiny fraction of the physical space required to store CDs, DVDs, BD, and dead tree books when kept on a computer instead on the original media (I'd need to add a room or two to my home to store it all). They also can be backed up. If something, like a fire flood, theft, whatever takes out your entire media collection as well as all your paper documents, you are pretty much SOL. If it all has been digitized and backed up in more than one place, your chances for not losing any of that data are pretty darned good. It's also far more portable.

I'm not the only one who keeps large amounts of data but most of those people keep most of it on servers, especially when multiple people in a family will need to access it. For me, it's far more convenient (and less expensive with less hardware to maintain and be taking up space) to have it in one place I can lug around.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I have got to have ports. At least two USB-A, and I would prefer two USB-C along with HDMI and Ethernet at a minimum. A 70+ w/hr battery would be good as well.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:45 pm I have got to have ports. At least two USB-A, and I would prefer two USB-C along with HDMI and Ethernet at a minimum. A 70+ w/hr battery would be good as well.
Battery charge life is also dependent on power draw from the computer. My behemoth has an 82WH battery and yet struggles to last an hour (if it's idling).
Jeannie

greengnome
Level 2
Level 2

Post by greengnome »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:29 pm
Which one did you get? I like what I am seeing with the newer Tuxedos, especially the batteries (99 w/hr! WOW!!).

For the rest who need more storage space, I feel your pain, but in my specific use case, I can get by with external drives for the most part.
The Infinitybook. I have no issues with the storage space, but I also got a Linux based NAS for backups and such.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I know about using power with those honking powerful processors! Also the reviews I have seen in English on the Infinitybook look really nice, and a very worthy laptop.

Since the Spouse Unit has made the decision that We Are Moving! And now that we have purchased a new(er) house it will give me the opportunity to downsize with me getting rid of a bunch of clutter that you seem to accumulate over the years. Ugh, I wish I had been consulted a bit more, but as I told the brother in law, I am just flotsam in the way or Tsunami Spouse-Unit. Plus we really need a one story because of the knee issue. Now I have to get networks set up, etc etc. I am too old to be doing this.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:58 am to downsize with me getting rid of a bunch of clutter that you seem to accumulate over the years.
I know the feeling, I live with someone who cannot throw things away, plus we have most of her mum's furniture from when she died years ago. Our house is full. Anyone for four dining room tables?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AndyMH wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:19 pm
MurphCID wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:58 am to downsize with me getting rid of a bunch of clutter that you seem to accumulate over the years.
I know the feeling, I live with someone who cannot throw things away, plus we have most of her mum's furniture from when she died years ago. Our house is full. Anyone for four dining room tables?
DO NOT LET MY WIFE KNOW! She will arrange for us to get them! NOOOOOOO!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

we have 3 generations of household stuff in our shop, a 30x40 size for two cars...
there is a thin isle to walk thru from side to side.....

we have declared war on the old stuff, come spring, a lot if going to the dump, or community
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

We just had a...disagreement over where my man cave with all the computers were going to be located in the new house. I am planning on having both the Windows desktop and the Thelio active.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Have you seen Harry Potter? The first one where he lives under the stairs. That is my "office".
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I now share my "man cave/office" with my daughter since I got told by She Who Must Be Obeyed that I had to share.

I am getting ready for the big move and setting up my new man cave for just me.

Question: Does Lenovo still sell laptops with Linux installed, or has that gone by the wayside? I know that Dell and HP (or used to), sell Ubuntu laptops if you can find them.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:13 pm I now share my "man cave/office" with my daughter since I got told by She Who Must Be Obeyed that I had to share...
Single life does have its advantages. :wink:
Jeannie

TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:23 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:59 pm I have been doing a little unscientific research on the cost of laptops, and generally Linux laptops from Linux system makers are $100-$400 more expensive than their windows equivalents for new computers of comparable specs. But the Linux devices with very very rare exceptions are also user upgradable where many, if not most Windows laptops have the ram and in some cases the drive non-user upgradable due to be soldered on the motherboard.

An example is the System 76 Lemur Pro (8gb soldered, 1 open slot 40gb max), vs the Lenovo X1 Carbon which require you to pick the ram and it cannot be upgraded.
i agree with you on this.
that is why my next laptop will NOT be anything that has Windows on it OEM.

I have made up my mind, I am going with Penguin

System 76 is over priced IMO
I'm looking into Penguin thanks to your post. Agree that System 76 is way over priced. Just think of how bad they will be when Windows completely locks down their machines so you cant install a new OS. I figure that is next on the horizon. I've also looked at Tuxedo Computers out of Germany.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

AZgl1800 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:47 pm
MurphCID wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:30 pm Most of my System 76 laptops are either well made plastic or some metal but the one I love the most is the Lemur Pro. You can take it from my cold dead fingers, this laptop is the best I have ever had. I am so glad the wife and kids got it for me years ago. If I need to get another laptop at some point, it will be a Lemur Pro again.
way to small for me, I need a 17" screen and a ten-key pad,
plus a LOT of USB ports... everything has HDMI now, but only one port

for the price, I will go with Penguin
How did you find a 17" screen? All I'm seeing is one 15" on thinkpinguin.com
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:08 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:52 pm
More than just having no use for them, I don't trust them since they can be hacked. When I get a notebook or laptop, I remove any software associated with the webcam then put a plastic label over the webcam and the microphone holes.
I use black tape, but yeah, I make it impossible to be used.
I had one of those fuzzy pads that comes with put together furniture to keep the doors from banging. I slapped that over my webcam. Is there a way to easily disable the mic in linux?

Return to “Chat about Linux”