Would you purchase a computer from a Linux system maker?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Would you purchase a computer from a Linux System maker?

Yes
32%
No
11%
I prefer to build my own
34%
To expensive
15%
Other
9%

Total votes: 82

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Would you purchase a computer from a Linux system maker?

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:00 am System 76 is expensive, I will politely disagree that they are too overpriced...
In the case of System 76's desktops, their piddle poor case design is what makes them grossly overpriced. You just aren't getting your best bang for your buck.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:14 am
MurphCID wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:00 am System 76 is expensive, I will politely disagree that they are too overpriced...
In the case of System 76's desktops, their piddle poor case design is what makes them grossly overpriced. You just aren't getting your best bang for your buck.
And I agree with you to an extent, I really regret that they appear to be dust magnets, and the complete lack of front USB ports.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:17 am
And I agree with you to an extent, I really regret that they appear to be dust magnets, and the complete lack of front USB ports.
More like vacuum cleaners. Their design causes them to operate at negative air pressure, like a vacuum cleaner. The filters they do have are difficult to impossible to clean and there are enough rather large air leaks to make the filters ineffective for keeping a lot of dust from entering the case.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

another reason I won't buy System 76,
I have had my fill with Plastic junk,

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1800 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:30 pm
another reason I won't buy System 76,
I have had my fill with Plastic junk,

Well, to keep things honest and fair, the System 76 desktop computer I bought is almost entirely of aluminum (a few bits, like the feet, are plastic). The one laptop I bought from them (made by Clevo) is mostly plastic but is very sturdy. I wouldn't expect any laptop to survive a fall from waist high or higher to a hard floor.
Jeannie

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

already have a desktop, don't need another one

I will do a lot of looking before I invest in a new laptop,
I have to move my sister from Price, Utah next spring after the ice melts off the Rocky mtn passes.

going to take 3 trips,
2,300 miles for each round trip, that is a LOT of diesel.
Farm equipment, horse tack, saddles, a motorhome, a pontoon boat, and more.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Most of my System 76 laptops are either well made plastic or some metal but the one I love the most is the Lemur Pro. You can take it from my cold dead fingers, this laptop is the best I have ever had. I am so glad the wife and kids got it for me years ago. If I need to get another laptop at some point, it will be a Lemur Pro again.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:30 pm Most of my System 76 laptops are either well made plastic or some metal but the one I love the most is the Lemur Pro. You can take it from my cold dead fingers, this laptop is the best I have ever had. I am so glad the wife and kids got it for me years ago. If I need to get another laptop at some point, it will be a Lemur Pro again.
way to small for me, I need a 17" screen and a ten-key pad,
plus a LOT of USB ports... everything has HDMI now, but only one port

for the price, I will go with Penguin
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1800 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:47 pm
MurphCID wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:30 pm Most of my System 76 laptops are either well made plastic or some metal but the one I love the most is the Lemur Pro. You can take it from my cold dead fingers, this laptop is the best I have ever had. I am so glad the wife and kids got it for me years ago. If I need to get another laptop at some point, it will be a Lemur Pro again.
way to small for me, I need a 17" screen and a ten-key pad,
plus a LOT of USB ports... everything has HDMI now, but only one port

for the price, I will go with Penguin
I like the features of the Penguin's laptop but it's the same, sad story for me: not enough storage space. :(
Jeannie

greengnome
Level 2
Level 2

Post by greengnome »

Typing this on a Tuxedo laptop, likely to get my next computer from them as well, so a yes for me :)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

greengnome wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:42 am Typing this on a Tuxedo laptop, likely to get my next computer from them as well, so a yes for me :)
Which one did you get? I like what I am seeing with the newer Tuxedos, especially the batteries (99 w/hr! WOW!!).

For the rest who need more storage space, I feel your pain, but in my specific use case, I can get by with external drives for the most part.
trike lady
Level 2
Level 2

Post by trike lady »

I buy used Dell Latitudes, the ones I have now have metal cases. I like to have the optical drive, as I play movies on it. Most I have came with Windows10 (Boo) and I remove the hard drive and install a new one with Linux Mint Cinnamon and keep going. System 76 looks like a nice laptop, but they're too expensive for my budget. Sad thing is I'm finding nice ones but they have no optical drive and thus are unacceptable, I have no use for a web cam and the three I own do not have web cams.
Dell E6530 with LM20.3 Cinnamon
Dell E6410 with W7
Dell E6510 retired
Dell E6440 with LM21.3 Cinnamon
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

trike lady wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:23 pm ...Sad thing is I'm finding nice ones but they have no optical drive and thus are unacceptable...
I like having an ODD (Optical Disc Drive) but I prefer that the space be used for addition drive space (I need four drives in a laptop, something that is now impossible to find. External USB powered and connected ODDs don't take up a lot of room so I use them. I can actually connect two of them to my laptop and rip two movies at the same time using MakeMKV.

trike lady wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:23 pm ...I have no use for a web cam and the three I own do not have web cams.
More than just having no use for them, I don't trust them since they can be hacked. When I get a notebook or laptop, I remove any software associated with the webcam then put a plastic label over the webcam and the microphone holes.
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:52 pm
More than just having no use for them, I don't trust them since they can be hacked. When I get a notebook or laptop, I remove any software associated with the webcam then put a plastic label over the webcam and the microphone holes.
I use black tape, but yeah, I make it impossible to be used.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:08 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:52 pm
I use black tape, but yeah, I make it impossible to be used.
Any opaque tape, sticker, or whatever will work just fine and dandy. I use the label because it doesn't look like a band aid and I just happen to have a label maker. The label also identifies the laptop name since I have more than one laptop: one currently my daily driver (soon to be demoted to travel computer only) and two spares, all the same Clevo based System 76s (I just found and ordered a third used one while I can still buy them since no one makes laptops that can hold four drives anymore :cry: ).
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

But the microphone is still active though.... I like the HP Dev One since it comes with a camera cover built in. I like some of the newer laptops that have a hard kill camera/microphone switch. If Purism was not so sketchy in some of their claims and ability to deliver (according to reviews), I would like one of their devices.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:34 pm But the microphone is still active though.... I like the HP Dev One since it comes with a camera cover built in. I like some of the newer laptops that have a hard kill camera/microphone switch. If Purism was not so sketchy in some of their claims and ability to deliver (according to reviews), I would like one of their devices.
It depends on where the mic is located. If the holes for the mics are located adjacent to the camera lens, the tape (or whatever) should block them from picking up anything.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

True, very true. I am using the Lemur Pro on this one, and if they could put the battery from the Lemur into the Galago, the Galago would be the worlds most perfect laptop: lots of ports, good size, good processor, very nice screen. As it is the battery life detracts from my enjoyment.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:33 pm True, very true. I am using the Lemur Pro on this one, and if they could put the battery from the Lemur into the Galago, the Galago would be the worlds most perfect laptop: lots of ports, good size, good processor, very nice screen. As it is the battery life detracts from my enjoyment.
I would be really lucky to get an hour from the battery on my laptop and it's a large battery. Then again, the computer is a beast. I run it on AC and consider the battery to be a really good UPS.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Not to offend anyone here, but I am a real port and battery slut, and I want lots of ports and battery life on my laptops. Just a personal quirk.

Return to “Chat about Linux”