Would you purchase a computer from a Linux system maker?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Would you purchase a computer from a Linux System maker?

Yes
32%
No
11%
I prefer to build my own
34%
To expensive
15%
Other
9%

Total votes: 82

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Would you purchase a computer from a Linux system maker?

Post by MurphCID »

Would you purchase (if you could) a system from a maker of Linux installed computers such as System 76, Slimbook, Tuxedo, Juno? If so why or why not?

I have and will most likely do so in the future if I need to get a new laptop. In the past I have build all my systems but they were Windows only units, I have never built a Linux computer for the desktop from scratch.
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Would you purchase a computer from a Linux system maker?

Post by AscLinux »

My desktop is the only box in the house which needs serious computing power, all others are for net browsing or headless servers. It makes alot sense for me to get some older hardware and tune their power consumption down for 7x24 usage. So the truth is I'm not out there shopping for newest hardware.
Master Foo Discourses on GUI.
First Linux 1997. Last Windows 2004.
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

I might, if they had the spec that I needed and it was at a reasonable price point. I accept that things take time to build, so paying a bit more is reasonable. However, if I cost up the parts and I'll save a "bunch" by doing it myself factoring in my own time to build, then that's what I'll do.

Even if I bought it pre-built, I'd be wiping the storage and installing Mint from scratch :lol:
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I definitely will NOT be buying from System 76 anymore due to bad experiences I've had with them and especially now since they are designing and building their own computers that have airflow issues, making them bad for dusty areas, and are geared primarily for POP_OS!.

I almost bought a laptop from Tuxedo but they discontinued it just before I decided to pull the trigger on it despite the misgivings I had. They never came out with a laptop with the capacity, etc. that discontinued one had since it was discontinued. Those misgivings were them being in Germany, meaning if a computer had to be shipped back for warranty repair or adjustment, the sheer distance would make that time consuming. Also, they use DHL for shipping and DHL sucks more than overambitious shop vac on steroids (I avoid vendors who use DHL like the plague).

I haven't seen any other Linux computer manufactures that had machines that could meet my needs yet (they all seemed to be designed for light duty use or to be used with a NAS) so It looks like the next desktop computer I get, which better not be soon, will have to be a home brew (I'm getting too old for building new computers). I'm just hoping I can outlive the Clevo based laptops I have and never have to buy another one since it appears no one wants to build one with as much storage capability as the Clevos I have anymore.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Computers with a pre-installed Windows are usually simply cheaper (ceteris paribus, i.e. with comparable hardware specs).... So I buy those. First I update the BIOS within the pre-installed Windows, then I wipe Windows and replace it by Linux Mint.

I tend to maintain one dual boot machine with Windows, for specific purposes (notably updating my TomTom navigation device).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

errata: To expensive
-=t42=-
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

For my personal computers I much prefer building my own. I like being able to tailor my builds and make some great systems. I think the ones built expressly for linux are too expensive. If I was in the laptop market I would just get something like a dell latitude or precision (used) and upgrade it and put linux mint on it. Be much less expensive and a good build.

I think the quality of the parts are much better when you choose them yourself. Some retail computers are just down right cheap and expensive.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Infidelus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Infidelus »

I've been assembling my PCs since the late 90s so, while it would be nice to see more Linux based systems on the shelves at computer stores, I'd probably still build my own.
Gaming exclusively on Linux since 2017. Windows can suck it!
CloneWerks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CloneWerks »

I've been building computers since the 80's, old dog, new tricks and all that (LOL).
My biggest preference for Linux stuff so far is to find hardware that has been running flawlessly for 3-5 years, put fresh drives in it and let 'er rip.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

If it was a desktop I'd build my own, if it was a laptop I'd buy another thinkpad (second hand).
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

I have bought 4 computers here in UK with no OS installed, saving about £100 each time.

In the event, these all arrive with Windows installed so the supplier can check the hardware is working, but I have no means to register Windows after arrival.
I can run Windows to check BIOS/UEFI is updated but that is my only use of Windows since 2005, except when using other people's computers.
Following that I simply wipe Windows and install the Linux distro of my choice, having saved myself a useful amount of money.

I will admit that my hardware requirements are relatively simple and so far I have never had a real problem installing any distro so why not save money and install my own OS?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

these days, I'm mostly running on re-cycled Laptops,
that I've been given - as too Slow for the current Windows Based System.
:)

as there does seem to be an push for better security by Microsoft,
and particularly in the Hardware side of those PCs.

this, in turn, is making an conversion to an Linux based system, an little more tricky.
:arrow:

on most continents, there is an dearth of Linux System Builders,
as it is an niche market, and those PCs can be more expensive, that they should be.
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I always enjoyed spec’ing out my desktops, but Linux was not really on my radar when I built my last one. Since I cannot build laptops, I have to buy them. Before System 76, I liked HP laptops for my Linux installations. But I agree, with all the new “security features”, it is getting harder to install Linux on the latest generation of laptops. Macs have always been a bit harder/more problematic than Windows laptops.

And yes, Linux specific hardware can be more expensive since they tend to be more premium style units.
Last edited by MurphCID on Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

When I first started this journey, I was coming off of a Windows machine. Because I was on Windows. During this journey I have learned Nvidia doesn't play well with Linux, which unfortunately is what's inside my Windows laptop that has been switched.

I am not opposed to purchasing hardware that's design specifically for Linux, but they will have to come off that price some. I think I payed around 1700 for this MSI laptop, and it's got 8 cores and 64 gig of ram, plus 2 hard drive bays.

When I originally looked some of these specifically built Linux machines. To get all of that, I might as well be paying the inflated prices of Apple.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

I voted for "other", because it depends on a couple things:
1) Can I freely re-install the operating system.. including a competing distro?
2) Is the hardware reasonably priced? Many of the builds I see coming with Linux installed by default carry outrageous price tags.. I could build the system for much cheaper. There is a difference between making a living and making a killing.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

revmacian wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:03 pm I voted for "other", because it depends on a couple things:
1) Can I freely re-install the operating system.. including a competing distro?
2) Is the hardware reasonably priced? Many of the builds I see coming with Linux installed by default carry outrageous price tags.. I could build the system for much cheaper. There is a difference between making a living and making a killing.
I see your point. I have installed several distros on System 76 (including Fedora), although their Coreboot systems are a bit picky about which distros they accept. They seem to have no issues with Ubuntu descended distros, less love for things like MX Linux for some reason. But LMDE 5 worked well on one, and Fedora works ok, Mageia not so much.
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

I think pre-built Linux systems are incompatible with both the user-control ethos of the Linux community and the development cycle of Linux operating systems. I feel that the process of procuring a Linux OS and installing it on a computer is a vital rite of passage for a new Linux user and if they haven't done that, they're not really changing anything in terms of how they use a computer. They're still trapped in the "better not change that in case I break it" behaviour pattern.

Linux operating systems also have a much faster development cycle than Windows. By the time the product is on the market, the operating system is already out of date. I recently watched a YT video with someone who was installing a commercially packaged version of Debian from the late 90s and he showed that the package was missing so many things for the install that it was unfit for purpose for the average man on the street. The Youtuber was an experienced Linux developer and he was barely able to get it working:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQQCcvFUzrg

Linux has become more user friendly since then but that's because people can get online and get the latest version and any advice or information they need. Linux can function on an online, self-service basis for a reasonably IT literate person but that doesn't translate into an out of the box, ready to go desktop computer for someone who just about manages to turn the computer on and put the password in for a Wi-Fi network.

I don't really see why an experienced Linux user would want a pre-built Linux system for the reasons detailed in my first paragraph and I don't think a pre-built Linux system would be of any benefit to an inexperienced Linux user.

Having said that, I am technically on a pre-built Linux system at the moment because I'm on a Raspberry Pi 400 but I've been using Linux for 9 years and know what I'm doing. I wouldn't have the same level of control over the Pi I have now if I hadn't had any experience of desktop Linux.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I find your reasoning interesting, and while I do disagree, I think you have made some very valid arguments. However, I will politely disagree, in that purchasing a Linux computer from a Linux System maker does not mean that you have to keep the installed distribution (I don't), and the biggest advantage is some of the hardware issues (I am looking at you WiFi drivers....), which would otherwise cause endless frustration to new users is perhaps mitigated. So the new user after using the installed distribution for a while and getting comfortable with Linux, would then be motivated to find a distribution that suits them more than the one that came with their computer.

I saw that video along with this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DBPuZHWEXc (Slackware 1.1), and he also has some of the issues you show in the Debian video.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

English Invader wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:14 pm I don't really see why an experienced Linux user would want a pre-built Linux system for the reasons detailed in my first paragraph and I don't think a pre-built Linux system would be of any benefit to an inexperienced Linux user.

Having said that, I am technically on a pre-built Linux system at the moment because I'm on a Raspberry Pi 400 but I've been using Linux for 9 years and know what I'm doing. I wouldn't have the same level of control over the Pi I have now if I hadn't had any experience of desktop Linux.
I began building my own computers around 1998.. after a computer repair shop wanted $50.00 just to open the case and take a look. I figured if they could fix it then I could learn to do the same thing. During a search through my local library for computer repair books I happened upon a book about Linux, complete with an install CD. I've been building my own computers and using Linux ever since. And, to this day.. I still don't know how that install CD disappeared..

Fast forward to today.. I'm just too darn old to want to do this kind of work anymore. If I can buy a computer pre-installed with Linux then I'll grab it if the price is right. But, I agree.. building your own box and installing Linux are rites of passage that no one should pass up.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Currently it is possible to choose decent laptop produced by Dell, Lenovo, HP, Acer and others and install random Linux OS on them without additional efforts and without need to use any additional drivers and ppas. On the contrary "a Linux system maker" laptop reduces user options and ties it to custom distribution or to necessity to use a manufacture's ppa and install custom drivers and settings using other distributions. Nowadays 99% of computer characteristics are concentrated in the CPU and CPU chipset and any custom additions to the motherboard is the potential source of future problems. I think target group for buying Linux laptops are not the advanced users but people with limited computer skills, which, obviously, don't want to use Windows but can't install OS on their own and do not know that they may receive help on the forum like this one.
-=t42=-

Return to “Chat about Linux”