Oracle Virtual Box

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tonytiger
Level 3
Level 3

Oracle Virtual Box

Post by tonytiger »

I was just wondering if anyone in the Forums have used "Oracle Virtual Box"

i just installed it and need to run old version of LInix MInt for GCO database program.

and so far Virtual box works easy.

went to the software manager and installed GCO and loaded back up files and it just works.

For a free program it just works
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Oracle Virtual Box

Post by Hoser Rob »

It's pretty popular. Oracle has a decent dev staff so it's maintained pretty well. IMO that's the most important thing for a Linux program.

As far as the "for a free program" thing goes, a lot of people would be surprised bow much paid software is really just a GUI someone wrote for one or more FOSS programs used as back ends.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

tonytiger wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:23 am I was just wondering if anyone in the Forums have used "Oracle Virtual Box"
Moving your topic to the Virtual Machines forum. There are lots of people using VBox.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
elbenja
Level 1
Level 1

Post by elbenja »

I've been using VBox for several years without any problem, just to work with ms office. IMHO is THE best virtualization tool in linux.
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Asus TUF Dash F15 -- Intel Core i7 12650H @ 4.7GHz
16GB RAM, 500GB Intel SSDPEKNU512GZ SSD
NVIDIA GA107M [GeForce RTX 3050 Mobile]
tonytiger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tonytiger »

thanks
i installed it and it works easy
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

The only disadvantage I have found with VirtualBox is if you want to use it to run games in Windows.
Unfortunately it is not possible to "pass through" a GPU for better graphics.
There were rumours that Oracle were working on it, but nothing concrete has appeared yet..

It is an excellent way of testing Linux distributions though & works very well with Windows for most applications - far better than trying to get Wine to solve your problems..

It does take away CPU & Memory resources when in use though. While "how much" is up to the user on setting up a 'guest', if you are using it for Windows 10/11 then 8GB Ram will not be enough for a satisfactory system.

Return to “Virtual Machines”