Running a business based on support for Mint computers?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zcacogp
Level 2
Level 2

Running a business based on support for Mint computers?

Post by zcacogp »

Guys,

I'm not sure where the best place for this topic is so I've started it here. Please move it if there is a better home for it.

I've had an idea for a small business. It's a simple one; load up a number of PC's with Mint (an LTS version) and rent them to local companies. With charges for setting them up and supporting them. The rental would be that - I'd own the machines (and screens and keyboards etc) and they would pay a monthly rent, per machine, to include support. The vast majority of software that is used by businesses seems to be on-line, so a machine that can run a stable browser and have a small amount of local storage would suit most situations. Of course if a business needed to run software that was only available for Windows or Mac then they wouldn't be suitable but I get the impression that this is less and less common than it was. I could also offer cloud storage with a commercial online cloud storage provider, and charge this to the business at a profit. This would allow simple file server capabilities as well as resilience against HDD failure.

My question on here is whether this would be legal? And by 'Legal' I mean whether it would infringe the licence under which Mint is available. The website says that I can sell mint without permission, that I can load it onto computers for customers and that it can be used for commercial purposes. I'm no lawyer but that sounds like I'm on solid ground.

FWIW I've been using Mint in my own (non-tech) business for 10+ years and am very happy with it's use. I've subsequently sold the business and am looking for something to do with my time. I have installed Mint on computers for other small businesses before and supported them as a favour for friends but never commercially, but given that tiny amount of support they require then it's not a big burden.

Additionally, I'd run it on older PC's which would be cheap to buy. I'm looking at Lenovo M73's or possibly HP G3's. I've bought an M73 to experiment with and it seems like a good bet.

So, questions for this thread are as follows:

1. Is what I am suggesting breaking any licence rules?
2. What suggestions would you have for someone considering this as a business idea?
3. I can't be the first person to have thought of this idea .... does anyone else know of any other businesses that do as I am suggesting?

I'd be grateful to hear anyone's comments - both good and bad. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CloneWerks
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Running a business based on support for Mint computers?

Post by CloneWerks »

I'm going to be a major buzzkill.

From the way you write this I'm going to guess that you haven't ever done any business/network support (No, setting up for yourself, or some friends who would be "understanding" doesn't count, I'm talking about actual business clients). Although, as far as I know, there isn't any technical reason why you couldn't do this, the contracts you created would have to be IRONCLAD to shield you from data loss/breach liability.

In my experience small businesses are especially reluctant to commit to any kind of ongoing contract, usually preferring to get a "turnkey" solution (pay once) and run it as configured until it disintegrates into powder from old age which is part of why so many small businesses are so horribly vulnerable to hacking. (Or on the other hand you'll receive "support requests" forever because they "bought a package from you" 10 years ago).

Finally, last I checked the state of business grade accounting and inventory control software in Linux was... not good. This may have changed though, it's been a long time since I looked into that sort of thing.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Hello There :)

You will have no end of service calls with work stations based on Linux. Most small companies are entrenched in windows at the workstation level and the software. They are going to be used to their software on windows and will have a hard time transitioning over.

Better idea.

Install a backend server on their site. It will take care of all DNS/filesharing/firewall and run virtualbox for any software that they might have thats built on a client/server type arrangement. The server software is in the VM and the workstations connect to it. Your big benefits will be security, and not having their private data in the cloud.

I have been in the business for about 10 years now doing this and here is my basic server setup:

Debian on the server handling all networking. Reverse proxy (nginx) installed.
VM of windows that handles any MS software aspects.
VM of debian that runs Nextcloud and provides off site access and large file sharing to others (think lawyers).
Three external drives for backup, Rotated daily and one off site daily.

I have been very successful with this type of approach. I also handle all the windows workstations, printers, networking in the company.

I would be more than happy to share my backup procedures, Server setups and any other questions you might have. Just PM me though as its probably not a good place in an open forum.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I'd also be asking your solicitor to perform a fine sweep of your proposal to identify any potential legal pitfalls. Have you a business plan? That should also identify any issues too? Provided, of course, you know how to create one. (not as simple as first thought!)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

CloneWerks wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:19 pm I'm going to be a major buzzkill.

From the way you write this I'm going to guess that you haven't ever done any business/network support (No, setting up for yourself, or some friends who would be "understanding" doesn't count, I'm talking about actual business clients). Although, as far as I know, there isn't any technical reason why you couldn't do this, the contracts you created would have to be IRONCLAD to shield you from data loss/breach liability.

In my experience small businesses are especially reluctant to commit to any kind of ongoing contract, usually preferring to get a "turnkey" solution (pay once) and run it as configured until it disintegrates into powder from old age which is part of why so many small businesses are so horribly vulnerable to hacking. (Or on the other hand you'll receive "support requests" forever because they "bought a package from you" 10 years ago).
Finally, last I checked the state of business grade accounting and inventory control software in Linux was... not good. This may have changed though, it's been a long time since I looked into that sort of thing.
He's right. You have really underestimated what's involved. Give me one reason why a business (not friends of yours) shouldn't just get some refurbished business computers and a Red Hat site license, which gives you really pro level support.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
CloneWerks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CloneWerks »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:23 pm Have you a business plan? That should also identify any issues too? Provided, of course, you know how to create one. (not as simple as first thought!)
You said a mouthfull there! I'm old hand at this now but when I think back to creating my first few business plan/proposals... it's a wonder I didn't have a mental breakdown!
zcacogp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zcacogp »

Guys,

Thanks for the answers. They are all very much appreciated - and constructive criticism isn't buzzkill, it's very useful.

A bit of context: I have a tech background but that was a long (long) time ago. I started my last business (which was property-based) 10 years ago and sold it last year, and have been dabbling back into my tech roots a bit since then. My last business was a monetised version of a service that I offered for friends for free and which took off more than I expected, hence my thoughts turning to something to do with Mint. I've used Mint in a business environment for 12+ years and know my way around it as a user, but will admit that some of the more technical conversation on this forum goes over my head.

I very probably have underestimated what's involved, hence this thread! Helping to expand my estimation is greatly appreciated.

Robustly tying up the legal sides of things is something that's very much on the to-do list; I've learned the value of a good contract many times over.

Working from the bottom up ....

Do I have a business plan? What's a business plan? I don't have every tot and tickle nailed down but I have an idea of what I'd like to go and how to get there. Does that answer the question?

Why should a business not just buy some computers and a Red Hat site licence? Because this would be way above many (perhaps most) small businesses. My experience of small businesses is that they are good at what they do (i.e their business) but are very bad at the behind-the-scenes stuff like running a small IT network. I very much liked CloneWerk's description ("a "turnkey" solution (pay once) and run it as configured until it disintegrates into powder from old age", because it is precisely my experience.

Coffee412 - thank you very much for your kind offer of help. What you describe is interesting although I am struggling a little to understand the detail. Please allow me to think about it and I may well PM you in the next couple of days. You are right when you say that small companies are entrenched in the Windows mindset and getting them out of this would be a hurdle for me.

CloneWerks, you are right when you say that Linux based accounting and business inventory software isn't the best. It's still not great, although I use Gnucash for accounting and it works very well (albeit with US terminology, and I'm in the UK). However the world of on-line offerings is very good indeed, and improving daily. Quickbooks and Xero have a sizable dent in the small business accountancy software market and they are both on-line, so not dependent on a windows/mac machine.

Guys, many thanks for your comments. They are all very much appreciated.
Sonnenquelle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Sonnenquelle »

Good day... indeed this is a idea I use to think of for many years, but as an Win Supporter for about 25yrs I never made the step to dig in to the Linux world.
But,.. I have always used Ubuntu to rescue data from a broken Win-System, Linux-Sys did always help me throughout the past 15yrs when I thought there is no solution anymore.
Since Jan 2022 I have decided to test the most common Linux-OS, and find what is best for "normal&power" Users which use their Windows for private or business use, to consider which is the best Linux-OS for any Win-User to adapt the Win-Enviroment used.
I have found that Mint is the best solution in this case.

Now,.. this year I have made my business plan containing:
1. advantages and disadvantages "Linux vs Windows" (concentrating on privacy)
2. minimal technical requirements Linux OS needs, to be of any benefit to potential target clients (taking myself as example)
- testing and comparing every Linux App I can find "try & error" in comparison to the most used Windows Apps (Word, Excel, etc..)
3. understanding what is realistic for implementation and knowing the "current" Linux-OS limits
4. finding potential solutions to #3 which can be offered to potential clients
5. marketing researches - who is my potential target group (clients), etc.
6. change/migration process
1st stage: I offer the client Dual-Boot for testing
2nd stage: If client is happy with Mint the migration can be completed
etc...

Result:
a) Currently I have 3 private clients which have changed from Win to Mint and are very happy with Mint
b) One company with about 10 employees. 90% running on Mint and 10% running on Windows - but not anymore connected to internet (privacy reason)
These are currently enough customers to make good money and I am at full working capacity.
But I also had to change my mindset.. willing to fall and learn everyday, making the client to understand that Linux is not Windows - but Linux is developing and getting better.

In my daily business I have found that all clients which are seeking for better privacy are also prepared to make certain compromises.
Being honest and modest in the communication with the clients makes my daily business much easier, so does this Linux Mint Forum.

I hope this input gives you a little help.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Country is relevant. In Australia, the tax system says buy. Lease cars but buy computers. Some countries in Europe encourage the use of Linux for government and schools but not in Australia.

If you are active and like running fast, there is a rental market for teaching. Set up a classroom at a venue similar to setting up a stage for a band. This market is on the way out in Aus as many people have a notebook or a tablet and a mobile phone hotspot. There is still work setting up giant screens for the lecturer and a network connection for the students/audience to access material.

Support time per attendee:
Linux 5 minutes.
Windows 7 10 minutes.
Windows 8-10 15 minutes.
Windows 11 25 minutes.
Apple OS 4 days, 3 hours, and 22 minutes. Maybe. If you are lucky.
happnatious1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by happnatious1 »

I run my business 95% on Linux using mint and Nethserver. I still need Microsoft for quick-books desktop (don't want my company books in the cloud) and all the programs my clients run that I need to support.

I think the time for something like this is not only right but also inevitable.

I have to sit in front of a lot of client computers during the day to troubleshoot various issues and windows just makes me mad now. Copy and paste are now buried under a second click in the right click menu? IP address is under Ethernet options? Since when is an IP address an option for an Ethernet adapter. I could go on.

The younger generation doesn't care what OS a computer is running, they instinctively know how to use it. Find one client to convert, be honest upfront, and do it on the cheap to find all the pitfalls before expanding. Not having to buy new computers every few years, not having to recalculate a budget every-time you hire a new employee with an email address, not having to deal with antivirus software contracts, etc... That's just good business.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”