Save System Monitor Settings?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
weboh
Level 1
Level 1

Save System Monitor Settings?

Post by weboh »

When I bring up System Monitor, I often want to see RAM usage. It has an option to display this, but I have to go through several menus before I get there. I have to do this every time I bring up system monitor, and it doesn't save the rest of my customizations there, either.

Is there a way to make System Monitor respect my customization preferences? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Save System Monitor Settings?

Post by vimes666 »

I can confirm this behaviour on mint mate 21.2. Also on LMDE6 where I have the mate desktop running.
It looks like mate-system-monitor doesn't play ball with dconf. I will look further into it tomorrow.
Maybe someone else has an idea in the mean time?
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

It looks like there is a 2 year old fix for it in Mate's github repo but the fix is not implemented in the mint version yet.
I have not tried the workaround they mention in that thread (yet).
https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-sy ... issues/234
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
Fritz
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Save Mate System Monitor Settings?

Post by Fritz »

I'm still using mate-system-monitor version 1.22.2 because the newer ones don't save my settings, especially when I add the row for RAM display.

If you add this row, it will disappear the next time you open mate-system-monitor. I am not sure if this is a bug, but it seems to be.

The RAM display is important to me to see why my CPU core temperature is rising above normal levels. If a browser allocates, say, 2 GB, that's not normal and I have to close it to get back to normal CPU core temperatures.
Last edited by Fritz on Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fritz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fritz »

I wonder if the Mate folks read this forum?
Checked the Mate website and it links to this forum, hmm ...

Just wanted to add that I expierence the problem with the system monitor settings for longer than a year.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

Fritz wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:10 pm I wonder if the Mate folks read this forum?
Mate already fixed it. It should be in version 1.27. Unfortunately mint uses 1.26. I guess you will have to wait for mint version 22, maybe.
Fritz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fritz »

That's good news, so we just have to wait a little bit :)
Gary9+
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gary9+ »

Hi...I found your post as I was looking for the same thing. I just opened Software Manger, typed in "system monitor" and installed the GNOME monitor. It kept the column view settings while open and close several times, as well as a restart. The only change I made was to right click on the menu entry and change the comment to say "Gnome System Monitor" so I could tell them apart. Hope this helps

Return to “MATE”