Can't install LMDE6

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ru-vadik
Level 1
Level 1

Can't install LMDE6

Post by ru-vadik »

Hello.

1. Download lmde-6-cinnamon-64bit.iso from linuxmint.com
2. Check SHA256
3. Make live usb (Rufus 4.2 on Windows)
4. Load on live usb
5. Click install Linux Mint

I make video about this problem - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT_39Vz2PgY
Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jymm
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Can't install LMDE6

Post by Jymm »

I'm no expert and it has been a while since I did a manual partition, but from watching your video you seem to be missing the part where you place your boot-loader, usually at < / >. I do remember from doing manual partitions that the step was not always readily apparent. Usually the installer will ask you were to place the boot-loader if you miss the step, but I have not manual partitioned Mint so am not sure if it would.

UEFI and os-prober being disabled by default has led me to no longer dual boot, so I haven't manual partitioned in quite some time. With only one OS on a machine it is just easier to let the installer do the partitioning.

Maybe someone else has some ideas?
sv1grb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sv1grb »

Try creating you installation USB with balenaecher.
I also faced problems with the installation when it was created with rufus.
Also the same in this thread viewtopic.php?t=404822
pepsiman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pepsiman »

Hello! I have exactly the same problem: 64-bit LMDE6 flashed via Rufus 4.2 (chose GPT+UEFI and flashed in ISO mode). I got the same result as the OP twice. The installer quit silently when it was "Entering the system". I then shut down the Live system, removed the installation media and hit ENTER — nothing happend. I cut the power and turned the computer back on — unfortunately, there was no bootable system.
pepsiman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pepsiman »

Jymm wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:32 am I'm no expert and it has been a while since I did a manual partition, but from watching your video you seem to be missing the part where you place your boot-loader, usually at < / >. I do remember from doing manual partitions that the step was not always readily apparent. Usually the installer will ask you were to place the boot-loader if you miss the step, but I have not manual partitioned Mint so am not sure if it would.

UEFI and os-prober being disabled by default has led me to no longer dual boot, so I haven't manual partitioned in quite some time. With only one OS on a machine it is just easier to let the installer do the partitioning.

Maybe someone else has some ideas?
OP actually chose the automatic partitioning. He did select manual mode and fire up GParted at first, but I assume he just wanted to show us that the disk was empty. He then came back and proceeded in automatic mode.
pepsiman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pepsiman »

TL;DR: Choose "dd mode" if you are flashing LMDE 6 with Rufus.

I think I've found the solution to this issue. I tried flashing the USB boot drive again, but this time with Rufus 4.2 in dd mode (not the "recommended" ISO mode). As a result, the installer completed and offered a reboot into the new system. I agreed to reboot, removed the installation media and hit ENTER (nothing happened again — could be some kind of bug in this "media removal" screen). I cut the power, turned the computer back on and was greeted with the GRUB boot menu successfully booting the installed LMDE 6.
ru-vadik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ru-vadik »

Using balenaecher solved this problem. Thanks for all.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Please, edit your first post (click on pencil icon on the right) and add [solved] to subject. :wink:
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
Tuor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tuor »

ru-vadik wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:43 am Hello.

1. Download lmde-6-cinnamon-64bit.iso from linuxmint.com
2. Check SHA256
3. Make live usb (Rufus 4.2 on Windows)
4. Load on live usb
5. Click install Linux Mint

I make video about this problem - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT_39Vz2PgY
Thank you.
I have an older Rufus ( V3 something) and my experience is that Rufus doesn't like LMDE 6 ISO.
As you can see in this thread viewtopic.php?t=405911 i was forced to use LM 21.2 USB writer to complete the instalation.

Strobgly recomend using something else instead of Rufus.
londoner
Level 2
Level 2

Post by londoner »

I suggest using Ventoy instead of Rufus or BalenaEtcher.
It runs on both Windows and Linux.
You just copy your iso file across, you do not need to "burn" it.
You can have multiple iso files dependent on the capacity of your USB drive, and you can also use the same USB drive to store and access regular files that aren't iso format.
https://ventoy.net
neojim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by neojim »

I tried using Ventoy and every time I reboot after install it locks up.
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

You should have used a current version of Rufus instead of the one that caused problems. Rufus is at version 4.4

Return to “Installation & Boot”