Epson ET-15000 not working and scanner not found

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mohican
Level 2
Level 2

Epson ET-15000 not working and scanner not found

Post by mohican »

Hello,
on a HP g6 computer running Mint 21.2
trying to connect an Epson ET-15000 with USB cable.
Printer not detected.

I went to Epson download site and downloaded drivers for printing and scanning here : https://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/sear ... archModule
I installed both drivers
I uninstalled IPP (apt remove ipp-usb sane-airscan)
I rebooted

-> scanner not detected
-> I was able to see and add the printer in the printer setup tool : I found a ET-15000 driver in the list, but when I send a test page, it remains in the state "processing".
Nothing moves on the printer.

Any idea ?
Will it help to install lsb and lsb-base ?

Thank you. (I don't have permanent access to that computer so testing things might take a while)
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Currently on Linux Mint Xfce 21 64 bits + Mint Cinnamon 21 for testing + Ubuntu 22.04 for testing.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Epson ET-15000 not working and scanner not found

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

You can read this tutorial, viewtopic.php?t=394754.

Regards,

MN
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Epson ET-15000 not working and scanner not found

Post by Tom739 »

Maybe your system is suffering from the same issue that mine does, that was reported earlier (see viewtopic.php?t=328509) and that I just found a workaround for? This is my system:
  • New desktop computer (mainboard, CPU, DIMM, SSD, DVD writer, mini tower, power supply)
  • Old peripheral devices (keyboard, mouse, monitors, printer and scanner Epson DS-1660W)
  • Linux Mint Mate 21.3 installed from scratch
  • epsonscan2_6.7.61.0-1_amd64.deb and epsonscan2-non-free-plugin_1.0.0.6-1_amd64.deb installed
On my old desktop computer I was running Linux Mint Mate 20.3 and could scan documents with the aforementioned scanner without any problems. The scanner was plugged per USB to the computer but was only powered up, whenever there was the need to scan a document. After power-up I started epsonscan2, the dialog popped up and I could start scanning my document.

The problem that I am referring to is well described under the aforementioned link. In addition to the extensive description of Eridanus7, I would like to add that I had no success with different BIOS USB settings nor with a different kernel (tried 5.15.0-97 and 6.2.0-39). I noticed, however, that my scanner was operational, if I had it powered up before I booted my computer. So my feeling as of today is, that some part of the USB bus used for the scanner is not (completely) initialized and hence prevents the scanner from being driven by the computer.

Fortunately, I found out that I can enforce a (complete) initialization by means of a reset of the corresponding USB bus. This can be done by means of the tool "usbreset". When running the tool without any argument, it lists the different USB devices of the system. In this way, you can find out about the bus and device number or product name of your scanner (mine is DS-1660W).

Code: Select all

% usbreset
Usage:
  usbreset PPPP:VVVV - reset by product and vendor id
  usbreset BBB/DDD   - reset by bus and device number
  usbreset "Product" - reset by product name

Devices:
  Number 001/004  ID 13d3:3533  Bluetooth Radio
  Number 001/007  ID 04b8:015e  DS-1660W
  Number 001/002  ID 046d:c52b  USB Receiver
  Number 004/002  ID 05e3:0612  USB3.0 Hub
  Number 003/002  ID 05e3:0610  USB2.0 Hub
  Number 001/003  ID 04d9:a232  USB-HID Keyboard
The USB bus of my scanner can then be reset by entering:

Code: Select all

% usbreset "DS-1660W"
After this reset my scanner was correctly found, the dialog of epsonscan2 popped up and I could start scanning documents.

Hope this helps. Regards.
Tom

Return to “Printers & Scanners”