Clicking the update manager icon in the panel does nothing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chaussettes99
Level 1
Level 1

Clicking the update manager icon in the panel does nothing

Post by chaussettes99 »

I've only experienced this issue on the MATE edition of mint, but any time I try opening the update manager via clicking it's panel icon, nothing happens beyond the first time I do it.

Ex. - I can open the update manager by clicking the icon once per login, but after closing it I have to open the update manager via the applications menu as clicking the icon no longer works. Is this normal or is there something I can do to fix it? Otherwise it seems to work fine and autorefreshes as expected.
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Clicking the update manager icon in the panel does nothing

Post by sleeper12 »

No, it's not normal. You can try reinstall Update Manager. Do one line at a time:

Code: Select all

apt reinstall mintupdate
mintupdate
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I see this when using Compiz window manager.
Go to Desktop settings/Windows and select another manager and retry the icon.
This is known and has been discussed on the forum but I have never seen a solution other than
not using Compiz
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
petarplab
Level 1
Level 1

Post by petarplab »

It's a known issue and we're waiting for a solution.
viewtopic.php?t=402790&sid=56716359a1e8 ... e0e7180acb
Maybe it's about time to fully integrate Compiz into MATE so such inconsistencies can be ironed out.
chaussettes99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chaussettes99 »

all41 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:27 pm I see this when using Compiz window manager.
This is known and has been discussed on the forum but I have never seen a solution other than
not using Compiz
that is unfortunate because I am using compiz for the effects and tools like expo
petarplab
Level 1
Level 1

Post by petarplab »

chaussettes99 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:19 pm
all41 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:27 pm I see this when using Compiz window manager.
not using Compiz
that is unfortunate because I am using compiz for the effects and tools like expo
Expo and a few other tiny improvements Compiz brings to Mate is what I'm here for as well. Maybe we should found a "MATE&Compiz <violates forum rules>" YouTube channel to promote our vibe. My setup is quite catchy (by the impressions of a few Windows users). Oh, not to forget Emerald - makes my windows unusual by the nowadays standards.
petarplab
Level 1
Level 1

Post by petarplab »

The "Update manger" is still accessible through "System > Administration > Update Manager" though, although the panel icon is inactive.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

petarplab wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:45 pm The "Update manger" is still accessible through "System > Administration > Update Manager" though, although the panel icon is inactive.
Right-click on the icon is still functional. The panel launcher not an issue for me because I prefer custom
keyboard shortcuts for my most accessed apps. For UM I use Ctrl+Alt+u. For gparted Ctrl+Alt+g, etc
There are some other small issues as well, such as the window decoration disappears occasionally leaving no
minimize, maximize, or close icons. Just a quick switch to Marco and back to Compiz corrects
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

petarplab wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:15 pm It's a known issue and we're waiting for a solution.
viewtopic.php?t=402790
Maybe it's about time to fully integrate Compiz into MATE so such inconsistencies can be ironed out.
No, such "integration" would not help. It is a matter among Compiz and XApp Status and Update Manager.

Offtopic: Firefox and Thunderbird don't have window shadow under Compiz if one hide the system titlebar (which is now the default in Thunderbird 115)
petarplab
Level 1
Level 1

Post by petarplab »

all41 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:24 pm
petarplab wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:45 pm The "Update manger" is still accessible through "System > Administration > Update Manager" though, although the panel icon is inactive.
Right-click on the icon is still functional. The panel launcher not an issue for me because I prefer custom
keyboard shortcuts for my most accessed apps. For UM I use Ctrl+Alt+u. For gparted Ctrl+Alt+g, etc
There are some other small issues as well, such as the window decoration disappears occasionally leaving no
minimize, maximize, or close icons. Just a quick switch to Marco and back to Compiz corrects
This happened to me as well and as far as I remember was caused by setting Compiz as window manager on more than one place. I avoid it on clean installs by being careful to not push Compiz too hard on the system (if that makes any sense). My settings show blank Window Manager under Windows in the "Mate Tweak" and Compiz in "Desktop Settings".

Return to “MATE”