Mint 22 open thread

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Mint 22 open thread

Post by MurphCID »

Night Wing wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:28 am What I would like to see in Mint 22. A much faster download speed for the Firefox browser.

When I first see the update for Firefox, it usually is a 10-20 minute wait for the download to complete. No matter what the fastest mirror I switch to, even if it is 4 MB per second, it still is a 10-20 minute wait for the download to complete due to the 30-60 KB per second speed. After that, the install takes about 5 seconds of time.

So I no longer do the update when I first see it. I do the update in the late evening on the day Firefox updates to the newest version when the download speed takes about 10 seconds.

On a side note. MX Linux does not have this download speed problem with Firefox when the update for the newest version for it shows up.
I have noticed the same exact thing. Not sure why, but I suddenly "NEED" firefox since YouTube is blocking videos if you have an ad blocker running on Chrome.
thomasreed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thomasreed »

Okay, I'm trying to take this rationally. The only concern I have about Python is that I can't run yt-dlp on it, because it can't find the proper version of Python. Everything existing on my computer seems to run okay. And if it's impossible to clean all the old versions of Python, because it would break other programs on my computer, I'll just try to set up another computer with a new install of Linux Mint on it, and use that one solely for yt-dlp.

I just think it's irresponsible for a program like Python to not be up-gradeable or delete-able when the operating system is upgraded.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:16 am I have noticed the same exact thing. Not sure why, but I suddenly "NEED" firefox since YouTube is blocking videos if you have an ad blocker running on Chrome.
Freetube...
https://freetubeapp.io/#download
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

thomasreed wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:34 pm I'll just try to set up another computer with a new install of Linux Mint on it, and use that one solely for yt-dlp.
or just install e.g Virtualbox and install is as a virtual machine
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

RIH wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:58 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:16 am I have noticed the same exact thing. Not sure why, but I suddenly "NEED" firefox since YouTube is blocking videos if you have an ad blocker running on Chrome.
Freetube...
https://freetubeapp.io/#download
Thank you.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Another question, I know that there going to be an LTS kernel on Mint 22, but how do we know which kernel is an LTS? The OEM kernels seem to have very long support, with the 6.5 showing as 2027. That has always been a question I have had on LTS kernels, is how do the normie Linux user determines which kernel is an LTS?
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:09 am Another question, I know that there going to be an LTS kernel on Mint 22, but how do we know which kernel is an LTS? The OEM kernels seem to have very long support, with the 6.5 showing as 2027. That has always been a question I have had on LTS kernels, is how do the normie Linux user determines which kernel is an LTS?
That comes from Ubuntu / Canonical. https://ubuntu.com/kernel/lifecycle This page does not explain the OEM kernels though. Here's the page for that: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/OEMKerne ... _lifecycle which does not say much either.

I think 6.5 might be the planned LTS kernel for the Ubuntu 24.04 LTS series. Just guessing.
thomasreed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thomasreed »

Ivar, I don't know how to reply to your comment properly. This forum seems almost as messed up as Python is. But you said...

thomasreed wrote: ⤴Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:34 pm
I'll just try to set up another computer with a new install of Linux Mint on it, and use that one solely for yt-dlp.

or just install e.g Virtualbox and install is as a virtual machine

I have no idea how to do this. And I assume that a computer pretending (or "emulating") to be another computer would be as slow as molasses. But I will attempt it if necessary. Right now, when I have a moment, I'll go to my storage space and get out a little Optiplex 9020 (which I discovered is damn near unupgradeable, unlike my main 9020 minitower) and try it on that machine.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

yt-dlp has a binary version that does not depend on Python. That's what I'm using. Here's the "Linux standalone x64 binary" https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/releas ... -dlp_linux Rename it from yt-dlp_linux to yt-dlp and move it somewhere on PATH like /usr/local/bin. You have to manually update this with sudo yt-dlp -U maybe once a month or so.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Clems latest comments are very positive and I am looking forward to further improvements. I just worry that Ubuntu is going to make it so difficult if not impossible to remove snaps and other silliness that we might have to just go to a Debian base.
thomasreed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thomasreed »

Post by spamegg » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:39 am
yt-dlp has a binary version that does not depend on Python. That's what I'm using. Here's the "Linux standalone x64 binary" https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/releas ... -dlp_linux Rename it from yt-dlp_linux to yt-dlp and move it somewhere on PATH like /usr/local/bin. You have to manually update this with sudo yt-dlp -U maybe once a month or so.

I downloaded the archive, opened it up and got the file yt-dlp_linux, and renamed it, but I can't move it into the usr/local/bin folder. When I open up the Permissions tab for the folder, it has a message saying "You are not the owner, so you cannot change these permissions." Do I have to move it through the terminal window with a sudo command? There is also a file in the folder, apparently associated with the Evil Python, named yt-dlp. Do I need to delete that file through the terminal window as well? Sorry, I'm kind of a novice at file manipulations. :roll: Thanks in advance for the help!
thomasreed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thomasreed »

The problem I had with installing ylt-dp is solved! Python can occupy the dusty corners of my Linux Mint computer, because it doesn't matter. Here are the instructions I discovered on www.linux.org in the article "How to install yt-dlp in linux mint 21.1 cinnamon"...

1. Open the terminal by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T or by searching for "Terminal" in the applications menu.

2. Add the yt-dlp repository to your system by running the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sergey-dryabzhinsky/youtube-dl
This will add the repository to your system.

3. Update your system packages to reflect the changes you just made by running the following command:

sudo apt-get update
4. Install yt-dlp by running the following command:

sudo apt-get install yt-dlp
5. Verify that yt-dlp has been installed by running the following command:

yt-dlp --version
This should print the version number of yt-dlp that you just installed.

And it WORKS! Wahoo!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

it has already changed,
the PPA is not good now.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sergey-dryabzhinsky/youtube-dl
[sudo] password for john:  
Cannot add PPA: ''No supported PPA of this name was found.''.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
oswald_c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by oswald_c »

The PPA recommended on the yt-dlp GitHub website is:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tomtomtom/yt-dlp    # Add ppa repo to apt
sudo apt update                                 # Update package list
sudo apt install yt-dlp                         # Install yt-dlp
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

must have worked:

john@FX705GM:~$   yt-dlp --version
john@FX705GM:~$ 
now, that It is installed, this guy knows Zero about how to use it :?:

where can I read how, or is it too simple to go elsewhere?
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

found the WiKi, and got a download working,
don't know how to specify the path, but it is in home, and I moved it to Video, and it is playing just fine :D
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

is it my Imagination,
or do the YouTube downloaded Videos have Better Resolution, than watching thru the Firefox Browser?

I swear, they are much clearer with more detail in the background
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

One of the things I want for Mint 22 to keep are the Yaru icon sets, I love them.

I have gone back to firefox for YouTube as well. For reasons.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

thomasreed wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:14 am I downloaded the archive, opened it up and got the file yt-dlp_linux, and renamed it, but I can't move it into the usr/local/bin folder. When I open up the Permissions tab for the folder, it has a message saying "You are not the owner, so you cannot change these permissions." Do I have to move it through the terminal window with a sudo command? There is also a file in the folder, apparently associated with the Evil Python, named yt-dlp. Do I need to delete that file through the terminal window as well? Sorry, I'm kind of a novice at file manipulations. :roll: Thanks in advance for the help!
Yes, move it on the Terminal. Assuming, on the Terminal, you are already inside the directory with the yt-dlp file that you downloaded and renamed. (Probably ~/Downloads so you can go there with cd ~/Downloads). Then

sudo mv yt-dlp /usr/local/bin
Otherwise in the File Manager, you can right-click inside /usr/local/bin and "Open as root" then move the file into it, but using graphical applications as root is generally not recommended.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I am looking forward to 22, but I am worried from what I am hearing from Ubuntu-land about some of their design choices that might make Mint 22 a difficult design. Also it looks like Wayland is going to be a big deal in Ubuntu 24.04 so I wonder if that is going to have any effect on 22?

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”