LMDE6: disable PW prompt for removable SATA HDDs, w/o fstab entry

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
justanotherguy
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE6: disable PW prompt for removable SATA HDDs, w/o fstab entry

Post by justanotherguy »

Looking for a switch/config file/ or system file hack which would disable password authentication for removable SATA HDDs - as it was in LMDE5...

Adding entries for each device on fstab would not be feasible, as any fstab entries without matching HDD causes a startup error, and I switch these things in and out rather often.

I've been a little bit under the weather lately, usually I can get to the bottom of these types of things in about 10 minutes myself, but as it is I am drawing a blank.

Thanks
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: LMDE6: disable PW prompt for removable SATA HDDs, w/o fstab entry

Post by coffee412 »

justanotherguy wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:56 pm Adding entries for each device on fstab would not be feasible, as any fstab entries without matching HDD causes a startup error, and I switch these things in and out rather often.
Add the 'nofail' entry for your fstab file and that fixes that.
Also, Setup your mounts in fstab by UUID instead of a block device naming like /dev/sdc1

I have client servers that they swap out external drives. I have entries according to their UUID and the 'nofail' option so when they swap them out it does not cause problems.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
justanotherguy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE6: disable PW prompt for removable SATA HDDs, w/o fstab entry

Post by justanotherguy »

Thanks for that...

The 'nofail' was the only part I hadn't thought of. Otherwise it is just as you recommended.

Thanks again!

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”