Issues with Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alex
Level 1
Level 1

Issues with Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5

Post by Alex »

Hello together,
so, as the title says, I have a Sound BlasterX AE-5 Sound card. Sometimes when using the Sound Card I get an electrical noise disturbance noise and on some days even no sound. To fix the electrical disturbance, a restart will do the job. But when I get no Sound, I have to turn off the computer for some time. Then I get some sound again. My theory is that the capacitors discharge themselves when I turn off the computer.

I assume I have Issues with drivers. Any help would be very appreciated.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Issues with Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5

Post by MiZoG »

Kernel driver for AE-5 is relatively very recent and perhaps fairly unstable.

To be sure that your issues are due to limited support in Linux and not to static interference within your case or in the environment near your computer (or, even worse, to a hardware failure), you could test its functionality on... Windows. Does it / did it recently work properly on Windows?
Alex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alex »

I have not tested the Card on Windows at all. But even if I would test it on Windows I have no reliable way to reproduce the problems. This may sound stupid but: how can I summon the issues on demand?

On the other hand: If the Kernel driver is very new I can live with it. It is just sometimes annoying to have the pc restart / rest to use it.
Fasterghost
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fasterghost »

I share your pain. I have wasted days debugging and solving various problems with Sound BlasterX AE-5 under Linux.

I'm currently on Linux mint 20 and running AE-5 in 5.1 setup. After starting the PC, the rear or central channels (or both) sometimes randomly decide not to work. The only thing that helps is power off (restart is not enough). Even dual rebooting to Windows is not enough. After whatever Linux drivers do with the card, it just stops working on hardware level and no longer works even on Windows even though it otherwise works there without problems...

BUT, it's still far far better than with Linux mint 21 where the card doesn't work at all. Unfortunately, there happens to be a regression bug in exactly the kernel version which was chosen for that LTR distribution. The best I have managed to do on Linux mint 21 is to get plain stereo working. But the 5.1 support or headphone AMP are completely broken.

In the newer kernels, this appears to have been somewhat fixed again but still there are greater amounts of problems compared to Linux mint 20 experience. However, I admit I did not test the newest kernels extensively.

It would all be so much easier had Creative actually bothered to release Linux drivers once or at least stop distributing different hardware under the same name (apparently, there are different versions of AE-5 card on the market... and no, I'm not confusing AE-5 and AE-5 plus)

Return to “Hardware Support”