[SOLVED] All desktop icons suddenly enormous

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Colm
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] All desktop icons suddenly enormous

Post by Colm »

Ok, this is a weird one.

I ran the following command,

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.media-handling automount false
And immediately every icon on my desktop became about 5x larger. Like, 250 x 250 pixels or bigger, I didn't actually measure them. Icons that were not in my upper left screen corner, became scaled off the edge of the screen. But nothing else on the screen (i.e. the MATE panel which I keep at the top of the screen, or the wallpaper, or text, or any open windows, or anything not a desktop icon) was affected at all.

I ran "gsettings ... automount false" hoping it would undo the damage, but no such luck.

I used time shift to revert to an older snapshot, but the enormous icons persisted.

I logged out (of MATE) and logged back in using the the openbox wm, but the icons were still huge.

I made another user account and logged into their account in MATE, and the new user had normal size icons.

Reset everything with dconf -r / and the icons were back to normal size, but if course my substantial amount of customization was totally gone.

[Edit to add: I also tried clicking the desktop and pressing ctrl-minus and plus, which did nothing]

I can manually re-do all my tweaks, but...

... What the heck happened here? Is there a better way to fix this problem, than just wiping my entire desktop configuration? That's not just a theoretical question because in between creating the situation and improving the situation, I had to clone the drive (long story) so I want to fix it on the other clone, an easier way

Thanks in advance for any help!
~Colm

Edit to add: no, unfortunately trying to set automount to false did not actually stop automounting of anything.
Last edited by Colm on Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: All desktop icons suddenly enormous

Post by RollyShed »

Did you try clicking on the Desktop and then doing Ctrl and minus as an alternative to everything you eventually did?
Colm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Colm »

Good question. I did try that. I'll update my original post.
igmint
Level 4
Level 4

Post by igmint »

Suppose the icons on the desktop are a display of files in the desktop folder or some other designated folder.
The size of the icons is set in the file manager or in dconf (Graphical viewer and editor of internal application settings).
2023.12.15_182939.png
translated by googlemachine. UTC+3:00
Colm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Colm »

Thank you. I must have forgotten to check that. I am still puzzled why my original gsettings command caused this in the first place.

Return to “MATE”