Nemo with MATE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
triplemaya
Level 2
Level 2

Nemo with MATE

Post by triplemaya »

I am running MATE and really need to set Nemo as my default. The functionality I am after is control tabbing between tabs, not present on caja or nautilus. Googling about this seems to be a very fraught issue. I have tried various suggested options with no success. And I now have the concern that when I do restart this pc I am going to find it will not boot!

My question is about how to get Nemo and MATE. I now understand that the file manager is deeply integrated into the desktop system. So I am wondering if I can just install Cinnamon which has Nemo as the default, and then install MATE. I have come across some posts addressing MATE on a Cinnamon install, but some problems are reported. But the posts are old. Is this straightforward nowadays?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Nemo with MATE

Post by Hoser Rob »

No. What you're suggesting is a great way to break the OS. Installing multiple desktops is a bad idea, it causes problems that are very hard to fix. No really knowledgeable user would say it's a good idea.

If you really want Nemo that much just do a backup and clean reinstall of the Cinnamon version.

It's also possible that you could do this in Caja but I haven't used Mate for a while myself. I'm not surprised you got no geed results if you searched "control tabbing between tabs". That makes little sense. A search engine is only as good as the search string you enter.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Well... did you create a Timeshift snapshot before starting on this journey? If you have, then you can rollback safely. If not... did you setup any disk encryption or home folder encryption? If you haven't, then at least you can always backup your home folder personal files to other external drives via booting from live ISO.

And I agree with @Hoser Rob here, "control tabbing between tabs" is a very confusing term. Totally no idea what you want to do and thus can't help telling whether what you want is doable in Caja.

p.s. Files in encrypted drive is still recoverable. Just that they face higher risk of losing forever if the disk is corrupted.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

triplemaya wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:49 am The functionality I am after is control tabbing between tabs, not present on caja
Are you talking about navigating from tab-to-tab with Ctrl + PageUp/Down? If so, works fine for me in Caja (Mate 21.1). And, even if you're talking about something a little different, I submit learning to use what Caja has is more efficient than trying to import Nemo.

Return to “MATE”