xdotool autotype not working on Mint 21.1

About writing shell scripts and making the most of your shell
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rohdes
Level 1
Level 1

xdotool autotype not working on Mint 21.1

Post by rohdes »

I am running Mint21.1 and have been very happy with it. I was using xdotool to automatically populate data fields (via Alt+letter custom shortcuts which would then trigger running a bash script which included a call to XDOTOOL). This saved my having to enter frequently requested data fields such as phone number, email addrss, etc. For some unknown reason (probably user-error) my Mint 21.1 simply stopped and could not be restarted so I reloaded the software together with any additional software that I needed such as xdotool but now XDOTOOL will NOT give any response to the same key combinations to run bash scripts.

Can anyone suggest why? Or how to explorte further. an ecample script is ( with details made anonymous) is as follows...

bash -c " sleep 1.6 ; xdotool --clearmodifiers; xdotool type 'MyEmailAddressName@gmail.com’ "

Any assistance would be appreciated
Last edited by xenopeek on Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: split from somebody else's unrelated topic & moved to scripting forum; please don't hijack topics
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Re: xdotool autotype not working on Mint 21.1

Post by vimes666 »

The apostrophe behind gmail.com is not an apostrophe.
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

vimes666 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:03 am The apostrophe behind gmail.com is not an apostrophe.
Then..what is it then?

Because the same exact key that has the actual quotation mark ( which on my keyboard is just left of the Enter/Return key ) ' " ( spaced for easier reading ) Last I recall that is an apostrophe which is used in grammar to make a word be listed as possessive form "

Alvin's jacket
Theodore's lunch
Simon's Glasses
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

On my keyboard it is produced with right-alt-9.
correct one: '
wrong one:

Return to “Scripts & Bash”