Make all applications (including Calculator, Compress, Screenshot) use selected theme

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
guvotamo
Level 2
Level 2

Make all applications (including Calculator, Compress, Screenshot) use selected theme

Post by guvotamo »

Hello everyone,

I'm using Linux Mint 21.2 (Cinnamon) together with the Adapta-Nokto theme. I am sure that until recently, all applications respected that theme, including Calculator, Compress and Screenshot. However, a few weeks or so ago they stopped doing so. I would like to change that again. How can I do that?

By the way, I did some reading and found there is a discussion about theming GNOME apps and how it relates to libadwaita and GTK etc. but I am not interested in all this "under the hood" technology and just want a solution for a consistent operating system look. However, I did not find such a solution so far. I would appreciate your help.
Koentje
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Make all applications (including Calculator, Compress, Screenshot) use selected theme

Post by Koentje »

There is no simple solution.. linux theming is all over the place!
guvotamo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Make all applications (including Calculator, Compress, Screenshot) use selected theme

Post by guvotamo »

Yes, I read about that. However, as I wrote above, I'm sure it was not like this on my installation until recently. So what changed?
uhtaceare
Level 1
Level 1

Post by uhtaceare »

I was searching for a similar issue after I made my own custom theme. Everything looked good except Calculator, Screenshot, I tried all kinda of fixes but none worked. It seems some themes aren't considered dark themes, despite looking so. You can try going to System settings > Themes > Settings > Dark more and try Prefer light mode. It worked for me. Dark mode vs Light mode
Last edited by SMG on Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added direct link to image so it shows in the post.
JoanTheSpark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JoanTheSpark »

guvotamo wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:48 pm I would like to change that again. How can I do that?
Got a backup of your system?
You could roll back and see if that helps you?
guvotamo wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:48 pm I am not interested in all this "under the hood" technology and just want a solution for a consistent operating system look.
As there is no central authority that enforces adherence to standards it is what it is.
You got three choices there:
  1. get your hands dirty and fix what you deem broken "under the hood"
  2. use a distro/OS that enforces compliance and accept the "tyranny"
  3. learn to live with the inconsistencies
guvotamo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by guvotamo »

@uhtaceare

Thank you, that solved it! The mentioned applications use the selected theme with the settings "Prefer light mode" and "Let applications decide" but not with "Prefer dark mode". Now I remember that I had changed this setting to "Prefer dark mode" several weeks ago and this was problably what caused these visual inconsistencies.

@JoanTheSpark

Thanks also for your reply. It makes a lot of sense but, luckily, uhtaceare's solution works.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”