best distro for "people" ?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: best distro for "people" ?

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:04 am
Moem wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:02 am It may just be me, but all the hyperbole and the drama makes me less inclined to help you.
It's not just you. :wink:
Same here. Reading his posts just makes me tired all over.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
albertcamembert
Level 2
Level 2

Post by albertcamembert »

boy
I'm on 4 years asking now, so :

it is very simple
no one can tell
everything work

i'm asking and I've got tons of command to do and I did always and I NEVER GOT EXPLANATION why I was doing this or that
You think I'm upset just freely right now ? damn!
NOONE COULD TELL WHERE THE PROBLEM IS! driver? device? linux? Thanos??

I've tried several Mint and several Ubuntu and also Debian and everytime the same

and now yo go on like "there's no update button on desktop" ??? really ??? this is really DISRESPECT FOR YEARS and no I can not be polite anymore, and whatever it changed noone answer so noone know, so what's the difference ?

Today a friend came with a PC with WSeven and we plugged the printer and it installed and worked instantly, making me able to work at least - I almost thought the printer was dead

So yes, the only solution you are all saying clearly here is BE RICH GET NEW COMPUTER, nothing else
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

albertcamembert wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:07 am boy

it is very simple
no one can tell
everything work

i'm asking and I've got tons of command to do and I did always and I NEVER GOT EXPLANATION why I was doing this or that
NOONE COULD TELL WHERE THE PROBLEM IS! driver? device? linux? Thanos??

I've tried several Mint and several Ubuntu and also Debian and everytime the same

and now yo go on like "there's no update button on desktop" ??? really ??? this is really DISRESPECT FOR YEARS and no I can not be polite anymore, and whatever it changed noone answer so noone know, so what's the difference ?

Today a friend came with a PC with WSeven and we plugged the printer and it installed and worked instantly, making me able to work at least - I almost thought the printer was dead

So yes, the only solution you are all saying clearly here is BE RICH GET NEW COMPUTER, nothing else
Like I said, making me tired all over...zzzzzz
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I have updated my list of computer people as follows: [insert humor]

Users: People who just use a computer to get things done, they could care less about the operating system so long as the computer allows them to do the things they want done by the computer. To them a computer is a major appliance like a microwave, and they just want it to work the same way all the time, every time, sometimes they apply updates, sometimes they do not. They get very upset when a "feature upgrade" breaks what they are used to using. Most can do some very minor fixes if they have either an Old guy/gal or Sys Admin walking them through it. Most Mac OS and Windows users.

Gamers: They use the OS that allows them to get that very last frame and want an OS that allows them to install the occasional bleeding edge hardware, and they want their video card to work, work right, and give them max frames. They do not really care about OS that much except that it allows them to game. They want to put their 4090 TI/SUPER/MAX/UBER?GONZO card in and have it work along with their screamingly overclocked 16 core processor. Pretty much Windows gamers.

Sys Admins: They want things to work, and keep it locked down enough that stupid (L)users cannot bork his/her system since he is the one that will spend hours of work unfarking things that a user did to cause it to crash. Generally seen with a mug of caffeine in his/her hand, and most often telling Users: NO! You cannot install that latest update to the latest malware! I have to keep this thing running! Pretty much anti-social except when around other Sys Admins. Can scream along in command line mode. Linux users generally, although many also can manage Windows Server.

L33T H@x0r: The guy who has decided that he has to install Arch (or similar) and tell everyone that he uses [fill in the blank] OS, which builds strong systems 12 different ways, and always refers to users, gamers, and others as Lusers since they cannot accept his OS brilliance! Sees the OS as their religion. Claims to live in VIM (or EMACS), and is a command line master. We all know them.

The Purist: The guy who only uses (by choice since they can afford newer computers) 10-15 year old hardware since it is "just better", runs an OS that works on their old hardware, and is constantly bemoaning the loss of 32 bit systems. Thinks GUI desktops are just too modern, and if you cannot write a script, configure cups, set up samba shares, and do it all from the command line, you just "don't get it". Generally a Gentoo, or BSD user.

The Old Guy (or gal) who knows their way around a computer, uses it for a lot of things, generally knows more than the H@x0r in terms of real life experience. Uses a OS (or multiple OSes) that get out of his way, but he mods them to work the way he/she wants them to work. Sees the computer and OS as a tool and something to spend time learning, but it is not a religion. Uses Windows/Mac OS/LInux/BSD/Haiku, etc.

Grandma/Grandpa: People who grew up in a different age where electronics were not available, and if something broke, you fixed it, repurposed it, or finally parted it out so that the "good" parts could be used to repair other broken stuff. People who have a cell phone, either smart or a flip phone, don't care to game, they just want to use the computer to do their taxes, get their email, see and send photos of the grandkids/grandpets/family, use facebook, have no idea of computer scams, or security, and grew up in a time where you generally trusted "Authority" so that authentic looking email from the IRS means you had better respond. Mostly Windows users.

The Lost: Those people who should never be allowed to be around a computer, ever. The arch enemy of the Sys Admin. People that can find ways to bork a system that even the Sys Admin could not imagine. We all know them. We have all dealt with them. The sort of people who make you want to delete their systems completely. Generally windows users.

The Hipster: That person who has to let you know they are using the latest Apple hardware that is just sooooo much better over last years Apple hardware because Steve Jobs/etc have told him/her it was. Takes their latest Apple device to the coffee shop to show off their hardware even though all they do is email and social media. But you know who they are by their electronics and the way they dress.... iProduct above all else!

This was intended as humorous, so please take it that way.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

albertcamembert wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:07 am boy

it is very simple
no one can tell
everything work

NOONE COULD TELL WHERE THE PROBLEM IS! driver? device? linux? Thanos??...
You never post any relevant info whatsoever and when no one magically intuits your exact system details and gives you a simple answer, you start whinging and whining. Everything is someone else's fault.

No one is being paid to do this. I've done computer support in which I was paid, and let me tell you that there are some clients that you would have to get paid to support. And you're one of them. Very tiresome indeed.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

This topic has run its course. Locked.

Return to “Chat about Linux”