Any differences between installing a full LMDE system on a USB Flashdrive between LMDE and Mint Ubuntu?

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
medea
Level 1
Level 1

Any differences between installing a full LMDE system on a USB Flashdrive between LMDE and Mint Ubuntu?

Post by medea »

Re: Any differences between installing a full LMDE system on a USB Flashdrive compared with Mint Ubuntu?

Hi Forum People.

I am on LMDE5 with a Cinnamon desktop environment.

I am about to try installing a full LMDE5 system (not live or permanence) on a USB 3.0 flashdrive (65gb).

I have watched a couple of youtube vids (one by Tech Hut who is quite well known re his linux 'how to' vids) from which I have got the gist (I'm autistic so - re following instructions - I generally prefer to see someone doing things, rather than reading text and trying to imagine how those words might be translated into actions).

I have also found this super-comprehensive post by pbear on this subject (re Ubuntu Mint not LMDE) which really gets into the weeds of problems that may arise and how to negotiate them with a variety of strategies.
viewtopic.php?t=287353

However, LMDE is by far my preference (and my daily driver for a couple of years now), so I wanted to ask in the LMDE specific forum if anyone with an understanding of these things can tell me whether the install process 'should be' identical, or if there are any extra steps I need to take with an LMDE5 install in this use case.

The main issue I see cropping up (time and again) whenever I read tutorials is that of the installer putting the grub bootloader somewhere other than on the key itself.
I want to be able to use this LMDE USB flashdrive in PCs other than my own (but also in my own to play and experiment with it) so I want to avoid putting the grub bootloader somewhere where it will mean the USB LMDE I make will only work with my own computer.

I hope that explanation of what my question is and what I am trying to do makes sense.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions on this subject.

Ps. I'm a beginner to tinkering with Linux, so that is my level re being able to understand processes. And I far prefer GUIs to command lines (for example, I am OK using Gparted, but would struggle to do same things I do with that with commands).
be a good animal.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Any differences between installing a full LMDE system on a USB Flashdrive between LMDE and Mint Ubuntu?

Post by MiZoG »

I believe - or at least I have no reasons to believe otherwise - that LMDE installer is not affected by the ubiquity bug in main Mint edition's installer.
So installing LMDE into that flash drive should be an even more straightforward undertaking. If you tell the installer that you want your EFI partition into your flash drive, it will do as told.
medea
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Any differences between installing a full LMDE system on a USB Flashdrive between LMDE and Mint Ubuntu?

Post by medea »

^ Thank you for the reply MiZoG (and sorry for my delayed reply - family things, christmas dramas, etc).

This sounds like very good news re my current mission to do this USB install thing. I have been reading up about that installer glitch hiding/misplacing the grub and dreading trying to deal with it.

But if the LMDE team are one step ahead on that, then it's just one more reason I prefer LMDE over the Ubuntu version.

I will report back if (haha... 'if only') things go smoothly re my attempts do this. And also if they don't.
be a good animal.

Return to “Installation & Boot”