No Sound Output on Macbook A1534

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
2blinux
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No Sound Output on Macbook A1534

Post by 2blinux »

Reddog1 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:00 pm The A1534 is listed in everymac.com as a 12" macbook with an intel 'M' processor. There is no 10,1 A1534, the A1534 is either an 8,1 or a 9,1.

That opens a real bag of worms, and could explain some of what's happening. Alsa lists Cirrus Logic chips that are recognized--but there is a discrepancy. The 4206/4207 is listed for the '10,1", but the 4208 is for the '11,2'. The '8,1' is a 420x chip, the same as the 10,1. There is no mention in the table for the 9,1, at all.

What I think this means, is Alsa has a mismatched configuration. The driver you installed is probably correct, but the mismatch of the mbp101 and mbp11 means the patch isn't recognized as being for the correct device.

https://docs.kernel.org/sound/hd-audio/models.html Scroll to the bottom of the table for the Cirrus Logic chips

https://docs.kernel.org/sound/alsa-configuration.html Scroll down to Module snd-hda-intel

Something important, that could be the 'fix', from the above link, is:
Each codec may have a model table for different configurations. If your machine isn't listed there, the default (usually minimal) configuration is set up. You can pass model=<name> option to specify a certain model in such a case. There are different models depending on the codec chip. The list of available models is found in HD-Audio Codec-Specific Models.
It could be as simple as adding “model=mbp11” to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf as here and forcing alsa to use the correct table--the 4208 table instead of the 4206.4207 table. Research that a bit further.

https://devicetests.com/fixing-sound-is ... macbookpro

I'm leaning to this being a bug resulting in your macbook being mis-identified and your laptop being designated as a '10,1', which it is not. It's a 9,1
Awsome, what a god you are, i will research this and update you accordingly! Thanks:))
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

I expect that if you would install VirtualBox in macOS and then run mint as a VM that it would work fine, and by that I mean the sound would function. I'm reasonably certain that I installed VB and then a mint virtual machine on an apple that had your sound card, and it worked. The things I didn't do was attempt to get the webcam working in the VM, and I didn't check to see if the built-in mic worked, but I think I probably could have at least gotten the webcam working.
2blinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 2blinux »

Reddog1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:54 pm I expect that if you would install VirtualBox in macOS and then run mint as a VM that it would work fine, and by that I mean the sound would function. I'm reasonably certain that I installed VB and then a mint virtual machine on an apple that had your sound card, and it worked. The things I didn't do was attempt to get the webcam working in the VM, and I didn't check to see if the built-in mic worked, but I think I probably could have at least gotten the webcam working.
Yeahhh that is an option but its not for me... Im tired of not having the control of my mac, not being able to delete the messaging app, my comp auto downloading stuff from icloud and a bunch of bs stuff like that. So im kinda comitting fully to linux. And this little mac is not really able to handle VB smoothly
2blinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 2blinux »

Thanks i will check it all out!:))
2blinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 2blinux »

if i would be able to buy a macbook pro, do you have any recommendations on what is the best of the intel mac pros? is there one where i wont run in to these sound issues? preferably one that wont require a audio driver either
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

Don't give up on this just yet. I've been obsessed with the idea the common sound card, that's been available for years, doesn't work on an apple running linux. For the past couple of days, when I have some free time, I've been going cross-eyed digging through code, and focusing on Alsa, and I've found a few things. With the macbook 9,1, the problem has to have some connection to it not being recognized as a 9,1, and it not appearing in the alsa tables. Digging around in alsa, I found this, a patch that was added for fixes to the CS4208. The patch was after the patch for the CS4206/4207 (CS420x).

https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v6.5.5 ... rus.c#L383

That link is to the patch code, and is well worth exploring, because it contains this:
static const struct snd_pci_quirk cs4208_fixup_tbl[] = {
SND_PCI_QUIRK_VENDOR(0x106b, "Apple", CS4208_MAC_AUTO),
{} /* terminator */
What the above does, is target the patch for vender 106b -- that's apple's vendor ID -- and it
gives a generic name for the patch target in the table, instead of a specific model -- 81, 101, etc. -- CS4208_MAC_AUTO

And below is the actual table for the CS4208 card, with a comment about the table layout, with the comment concerning the diff between the CS4206 table and the CS4208. In the table, the CS4208_GPIO0 is the patch target for the mic
CS4208 support:
* Its layout is no longer compatible with CS4206/CS4207
*/
enum {
CS4208_MAC_AUTO,
CS4208_MBA6,
CS4208_MBP11,
CS4208_MACMINI,
CS4208_GPIO0,
Due to the above bits, and looking through the actual fixit code, I think the way to get the 4208 working on your 9,1

might be:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
Then add this line to it:

options snd_hda_intel model=CS4208_MAC_AUTO

or: options snd_hda_intel model=MAC_AUTO

Which should point Alsa to the proper driver. It's definitely worth a try.

I haven't looked through the git driver that you've installed on your macbook 12.

Update: I just glanced through the patch in the driver you installed, and if the above 2 'options' fail, from his table what might work is:

options snd_hda_intel model=mbp11

It's 'lying' to alsa about the model, but I'm a (retired) SCADA programmer, and lying to the program sometimes works. Good luck

Just for reference, below is the code for the 4206/4207 (420X_APPLE)
/* codec SSID */
SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x106b, 0x0600, "iMac 14,1", CS420X_IMAC27_122),
SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x106b, 0x0900, "iMac 12,1", CS420X_IMAC27_122),
SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x106b, 0x1c00, "MacBookPro 8,1", CS420X_MBP81),
SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x106b, 0x2000, "iMac 12,2", CS420X_IMAC27_122),
SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x106b, 0x2800, "MacBookPro 10,1", CS420X_MBP101),
SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x106b, 0x5600, "MacBookAir 5,2", CS420X_MBP81),
SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x106b, 0x5b00, "MacBookAir 4,2", CS420X_MBA42),
SND_PCI_QUIRK_VENDOR(0x106b, "Apple", CS420X_APPLE),
{} /* terminator */
2blinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 2blinux »

Thanks, u'r awesome !!

I tried to find where i should add the Option* Lines that you gave me, but i couldn't find exactly where i should try and add it.

Here is the output from the nano config cmd that you gave me

# autoloader aliases
install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0
install sound-slot-1 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-1
install sound-slot-2 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-2
install sound-slot-3 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-3
install sound-slot-4 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-4
install sound-slot-5 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-5
install sound-slot-6 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-6
install sound-slot-7 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-7

# Cause optional modules to be loaded above generic modules
install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modpro>
#
# Workaround at bug #499695 (reverted in Ubuntu see LP #319505)
install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbi>
install snd-mixer /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-mixer $CMDLINE_OPTS && { >
install snd-seq /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-seq $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbi>
#
install snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi $CMDLINE_OPTS &>
# Cause optional modules to be loaded above sound card driver modules
install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 $CMDLINE_OPTS &>
install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx $CMDLINE_OPTS &>

# Load saa7134-alsa instead of saa7134 (which gets dragged in by it anyway)
install saa7134 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install saa7134 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbi>
# Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0
options bt87x index=-2 options cx88_alsa index=-2 options saa7134-alsa
index=-2 options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2 options snd-intel8x0m
index=-2 options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2 options snd-usb-audio
index=-2 options snd-usb-caiaq index=-2 options snd-usb-ua101 index=-2
options snd-usb-us122l index=-2 options snd-usb-usx2y index=-2 options
# Ubuntu #62691, enable MPU for snd-cmipci
options snd-cmipci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
# Keep snd-pcsp from being loaded as first soundcard
options snd-pcsp index=-2
# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
options snd-usb-audio index=-2
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

Just add it at the end of the file and restart alsa or reboot.

Try the options one-by-one. Hopefully, one of them will get you sound.
2blinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 2blinux »

okay so this is the output when reloading alsa with ' Sudo alsa reload '
i read through the same output but for each try of code you gave me, and from what i can tell they all give the same output when running the reload alsa cmd

Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-seq-midi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-soc-skl snd-soc-hdac-hda snd-hda-ext-core snd-soc-sst-ipc snd-soc-sst-dsp snd-soc-acpi-intel-match snd-soc-acpi snd-soc-core snd-compress snd-pcm-dmaengine snd-hda-codec-hdmi snd-hda-codec-cirrus snd-hda-codec-generic snd-hda-intel snd-intel-dspcfg snd-intel-sdw-acpi snd-hda-codec snd-hda-core snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-timer (failed: modules still loaded: snd-hda-codec-hdmi snd-hda-codec-cirrus snd-hda-codec-generic snd-hda-intel snd-intel-dspcfg snd-intel-sdw-acpi snd-hda-codec snd-hda-core snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-timer).
Loading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-seq-midi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-soc-skl snd-soc-hdac-hda snd-hda-ext-core snd-soc-sst-ipc snd-soc-sst-dsp snd-soc-acpi-intel-match snd-soc-acpi snd-soc-core snd-compress snd-pcm-dmaengine snd-hda-codec-hdmi snd-hda-codec-cirrus snd-hda-codec-generic snd-hda-intel snd-intel-dspcfg snd-intel-sdw-acpi snd-hda-codec snd-hda-core snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-timerlibkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-config.c:712 kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf line 28: ignoring bad line starting with 'index=-2'
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-config.c:712 kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf line 29: ignoring bad line starting with 'index=-2'
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-config.c:712 kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf line 30: ignoring bad line starting with 'index=-2'
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-config.c:712 kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf line 28: ignoring bad line starting with 'index=-2'
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-config.c:712 kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf line 29: ignoring bad line starting with 'index=-2'
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-config.c:712 kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf line 30: ignoring bad line starting with 'index=-2'
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-config.c:712 kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf line 28: ignoring bad line starting with 'index=-2'
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-config.c:712 kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf line 30: ignoring bad line starting with 'index=-2
2blinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 2blinux »

I have found this but i can make no sense of it

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/ ... h_cirrus.c
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

I'm at the end of my rope. Your laptop still isn't loading the cirrus driver. The alsa reload command should show;
Loading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-hda-codec-cirrus snd-hda-codec-generic snd-hda-codec-hdmi snd-hda-intel snd-intel-dspcfg snd-intel-sdw-acpi snd-hda-codec snd-hda-core snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-seq-midi snd-seq-midi-event snd-rawmidi snd-seq snd-seq-device snd-timer.
I still think that the patches should have been incorporated into the kernel driver, with no need to load from git. Why they don't work with your "unusual" apple macbook (and it definitely is not a common apple) is beyond my expertise. Mint doesn't even identify the 12 inch macbook properly, and the macbook 8,1 shares a designation with an earlier macbook. I'm not even certain that the alsa table from the 12 inch driver, which contains the '8,1', is accurate, because the 2015 8,1 also shares a designation with an earlier macbook (pre 2012). It's definitely a mess....and I don't know how to sort it out.

The patch that you installed was for a 12 inch macbook, but the only macbook mentioned in the patch table is the 8,1 -- which is (supposedly) not equipped with the 4208 cirrus logic. The table points to the 4206.

And the kernel identifying your machine as a 10,1 is most certainly a bug, because there is no way that it is a 10,1. I would file a bug report, and I'd also contact the linux kernel sound maintainer and explain what a mess this is.

CIRRUS LOGIC AUDIO CODEC DRIVERS
Mail
James Schulman <james.schulman@cirrus.com>, David Rhodes <david.rhodes@cirrus.com>, Richard Fitzgerald <rf@opensource.cirrus.com>
Mailing list
alsa-devel@alsa-project.org (moderated for non-subscribers), patches@opensource.cirrus.com
Meantime, I would distro hop and see if sound might be working, without using any driver from git. LMDE, MX, or even Manjaro are all worth trying.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

A poster above has an 'almost' identical 9,1 macbook. Their built-in speakers don't work either, but their headphones work, and they worked from the install.

His macbook is also recognized as a 9,1. Very puzzling.......

viewtopic.php?p=2419986#p2419986
2blinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 2blinux »

Reddog1 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:36 am I'm at the end of my rope. Your laptop still isn't loading the cirrus driver. The alsa reload command should show;
Loading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-hda-codec-cirrus snd-hda-codec-generic snd-hda-codec-hdmi snd-hda-intel snd-intel-dspcfg snd-intel-sdw-acpi snd-hda-codec snd-hda-core snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-seq-midi snd-seq-midi-event snd-rawmidi snd-seq snd-seq-device snd-timer.
I still think that the patches should have been incorporated into the kernel driver, with no need to load from git. Why they don't work with your "unusual" apple macbook (and it definitely is not a common apple) is beyond my expertise. Mint doesn't even identify the 12 inch macbook properly, and the macbook 8,1 shares a designation with an earlier macbook. I'm not even certain that the alsa table from the 12 inch driver, which contains the '8,1', is accurate, because the 2015 8,1 also shares a designation with an earlier macbook (pre 2012). It's definitely a mess....and I don't know how to sort it out.

The patch that you installed was for a 12 inch macbook, but the only macbook mentioned in the patch table is the 8,1 -- which is (supposedly) not equipped with the 4208 cirrus logic. The table points to the 4206.

And the kernel identifying your machine as a 10,1 is most certainly a bug, because there is no way that it is a 10,1. I would file a bug report, and I'd also contact the linux kernel sound maintainer and explain what a mess this is.

CIRRUS LOGIC AUDIO CODEC DRIVERS
Mail
James Schulman <james.schulman@cirrus.com>, David Rhodes <david.rhodes@cirrus.com>, Richard Fitzgerald <rf@opensource.cirrus.com>
Mailing list
alsa-devel@alsa-project.org (moderated for non-subscribers), patches@opensource.cirrus.com
Meantime, I would distro hop and see if sound might be working, without using any driver from git. LMDE, MX, or even Manjaro are all worth trying.
im going to try EndeavourOS because ive heard that they have very wide hardware support.

In the mean time ive bought a dell xps and installed lmde and i will try to figure the macbook out as a side project haha
gc070653
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gc070653 »

I'm also facing the same problem with the internal speakers of my Mackbook 12 Retina Early 2016 macbook9,1. I tried almost all the distro but so far I've been able to use the facetimeHD camera and the earphones but no sound from speakers even if the bar graph of the equalizer show the sound as it is working .
During my tests I found somethink strange
Using HDA-Analizer I discover that in Codec 0 the node ox02 AUD_OUT is set with Mute=true and using hdajackretask the internal speaker entry is empty.
Can this help to fix the missing audio?
Ciao
Luca
SyNcRoDrOp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SyNcRoDrOp »

Did anyone find a solution? I've the same problem.
Following my system info:

https://termbin.com/y3fy

Return to “Sound”