What rough edges have you learned to avoid in your various distros?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
featherlessbiped
Level 1
Level 1

What rough edges have you learned to avoid in your various distros?

Post by featherlessbiped »

Every piece of software has some rough edges that I learned not to touch, so much that I no longer notice them. What are yours?
axrusar
Level 7
Level 7

Re: What rough edges have you learned to avoid in your various distros?

Post by axrusar »

I've learned the importance of reading the documentation when facing any 'rough edges. RTFM solves PEBKAC issues :lol:
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Reading the documentation is at the top of my list, quickly followed by taking the time to understand the basics of complex, complicated, or confusing endeavors. If there is a step-by-step guide, I read each step before I start a task ... and do my best to prepare a proper mise en place. If I am attempting something that might might compromise my system I either work in a vm or on my testing machine.

Like too many people I learned (and relearned) the importance of backups the hard way. The last time was when I formatted the memory card for a photography project and then deleted the entire directory tree for the project. Photorec saved me.

Finally, I try to take detailed notes.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I pretty much have not learned anything without learning it the hard way - I just going charging in guns blazing break things and then do a fresh install and start all over again. I would say I am the poster boy for how not to do "stuff". :lol:
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

These rough edges is 99 per cent self-inflicted by user's actions. ...Just don't break things if you don't have to.
-=t42=-
featherlessbiped
Level 1
Level 1

Post by featherlessbiped »

Cool, I'm glad everything is perfect.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

featherlessbiped wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:25 pm Cool, I'm glad everything is perfect.
No, it's not. Nothing is, on this lonely planet of ours in the huge universe.

But Mint is good. Very good, even.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

If you've been avoiding these rough edges for a while it can get difficult to remember which ones they are. But ppa's and most .deb files would count for me. So would using 3rd party themes, theming in Linux is even more of a bucket of worms than in Windows.

I wouldn't say there's anything distro specific about it so much, Linux distros aren't really all that different. Maybe the packaging system in Fedora, but for me not having Synaptic Package Manager would be a rough edge.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Chat about Linux”