[SOLVED]~but not solved~ Kernels ? Grub? I dont know anymore

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Simplyn00b
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]~but not solved~ Kernels ? Grub? I dont know anymore

Post by Simplyn00b »

Hi everyone, I am really new to this world and gave up 4 times trying to switch to linux. There is always something... I dont want to learn commands I am not interested in that I want to use the computer thats it. But I also dont want to go Microsoft or Cannonical. Those who knows, knows. I dont want to debate this here. Anyway I chose LMDE and gonna stick to it.

My problem right now is I had multiple hard drives. I had installed LMDE4 which run fine but then I wiped my storage drive( no dual boot). I dont know if the grub was on it but lmde wouldnt boot anymore, grub problems. So i just tried to reinstall lmde6 which didnt solve anything.

I tried repairboot. After install, when booting, I got stuck on the freaking black screen asking me to login TTY something where even putting the correct user and pass u set up iat install doesnt work. No ctrl+alt+ Fwhichever doesnt work. Someone somewhere suggested the environment wasnt installed. Anyway thats still not the problem.

Someone somewhere suggested to tell grub which drive to load from by using commands that looked like "set boot=sda1 (the boot partition) something and then insmod something then normal" which didnt do anything because IT DIDNT KNOW WHAT NORMAL IS. Please remeber I HAVE NOT CLUE what this all means or does and I dont care... I just want the computer to run. Please forgive my frustration and exasperation. I went mint because I dont want to bother with that stuff. Anyway, I took it upon myself to try more cause i dont want to go back to microsoft or canonical. But grub still isnt the problem I think.. see what follows...

Someone somewhere said to go through recovery to go as root to edit a grub file or something like that..which ended with me not being able to do that because "Cannot open access to console, the root account is locked"... I mean... I just want to smash the freaking pc at this point. I am sure all of this make sense to some of you but it doesnt to me.

So it dawn upon me that everything i read online was to try to salvage the information on the drive. I dont care, I already wiped everything. So why not just go to factory setting like when parts were new. Which is when I learned about kernel... they dont reset with cmos. I dont know how kernels works I dont care anymore. Normaly I ld be eager to learn about it but I so much time invested already on something so complex that im just braindead now.

So what can I do to just get everything to factory so I cant just install LMDE6 and can finaly go bang my head on the wall trying to install simpler stuff like non-free driver for my gpu and proton... PLEASE someone tell me the steps to just... get out of this mess once and for all...

I dont know if this matters... but here it goes
Asus M5A99X EVO (not the 2.0)
AMD FX-6300
WD Black 7200
WD Blue 5000
Asus GTX960 4GB
ANTEC 650W
Last edited by Simplyn00b on Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Kernels ? Grub? I dont know anymore

Post by all41 »

Try booting into your lmde install usb/dvd .iso to get to a live desktop.
Then go to your menu and select System Reports/System Information.
Use the upload button.
I wiped my storage drive
When you modify partitions the uuid is changed--I suspect that is the
original culprit.
All those other 'someone somewhere said' may have dug you deeper.
Sometimes it's just a matter of changing the boot order in bios
Last edited by all41 on Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Simplyn00b wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:05 pm Anyway I chose LMDE and gonna stick to it.
I moved your topic from Main Edition into the LMDE section.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Simplyn00b
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Simplyn00b »

Last edited by Simplyn00b on Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Simplyn00b
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Simplyn00b »

https://termbin.com/219u
all41 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:46 pm Sometimes it's just a matter of changing the boot order in bios
i had tried that first trust me. But I am sure i made the matter more complicated trying to fix it. Thats what i meant by I gave up 4 times. Do you have a simple solution, or is there a way to just Factory reset everything ?

Return to “Beginner Questions”