Without sound in linux mint 21.2 cinnamon(headphones)[RESOLVIDO]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jluiz
Level 1
Level 1

Without sound in linux mint 21.2 cinnamon(headphones)[RESOLVIDO]

Post by jluiz »

Hello, my linux mint cinnamon 21.2 64bits are with problems. The plate of sond of part back are function, but my headphones not function. How mentioned, I altered my kernel to 6.2 be necessary

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 6.2.0-39-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A Desktop: Cinnamon 5.8.4 tk: GTK 3.24.33
    wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: INTEL model: H55 serial: <superuser required> BIOS: American Megatrends
    v: 080015 date: 01/11/2022
CPU:
  Info: single core model: Intel Core i5 650 bits: 64 arch: Westmere rev: 5 cache: L1: 64 KiB
    L2: 256 KiB L3: 4 MiB
  Speed (MHz): 3191 min/max: N/A core: 1: 3191 bogomips: 6382
  Flags: ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel ports:
    active: HDMI-A-1 empty: DP-1,VGA-1 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0042
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
    gpu: i915 display-ID: :0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1440x900 s-dpi: 96
  Monitor-1: HDMI-1 mapped: HDMI-A-1 model: HDMI res: 1440x900 dpi: 64
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics (ILK) v: 2.1 Mesa 23.0.4-0ubuntu1~22.04.1
    direct render: Yes
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
    bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:3b56
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k6.2.0-39-generic running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet driver: r8169 v: kernel pcie:
    speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: e800 bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8136
  IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
  IF-ID-1: docker0 state: down mac: <filter>
  IF-ID-2: vmnet1 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
  IF-ID-3: vmnet8 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 260.14 GiB used: 218.01 GiB (83.8%)
  ID-1: /dev/sda model: SATA SSD size: 223.57 GiB speed: 3.0 Gb/s serial: <filter>
  ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Cruzer Fit size: 29.11 GiB speed: 3.0 Gb/s
    serial: <filter>
  ID-3: /dev/sdc type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Cruzer Blade size: 7.45 GiB speed: <unknown>
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 136.45 GiB used: 90.97 GiB (66.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 512 MiB used: 6.1 MiB (1.2%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/sda2
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 75.62 GiB used: 774 MiB (1.0%) priority: -2 dev: /dev/sda4
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 70.0 C mobo: N/A
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Repos:
  Packages: 2273 apt: 2266 flatpak: 7
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/docker.list
    1: deb [arch=amd64 signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/docker.gpg] https: //download.docker.com/linux/ubuntu jammy stable
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
    1: deb http: //packages.linuxmint.com victoria main upstream import backport
    2: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy main restricted universe multiverse
    3: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
    4: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
    5: deb http: //security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jammy-security main restricted universe multiverse
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgadmin4.list
    1: deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/packages-pgadmin-org.gpg] https: //ftp.postgresql.org/pub/pgadmin/pgadmin4/apt/jammy pgadmin4 main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list
    1: deb https: //apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt victoria-pgdg main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list
    1: deb [arch=amd64,arm64,armhf] http: //packages.microsoft.com/repos/code stable main
Info:
  Processes: 265 Uptime: 2h 24m Memory: 7.68 GiB used: 2.09 GiB (27.2%) Init: systemd v: 249
  runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 11.4.0 alt: 11/12 Client: Unknown python3.10 client inxi: 3.3.13

aplay -l
**** Lista de Dispositivos PLAYBACK Hardware ****
placa 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], dispositivo 0: ALC887 Analog [ALC887 Analog]
  Dispositivo secundário: 1/1
  Dispositivo secundário #0: subdevice #0
placa 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], dispositivo 1: ALC887 Digital [ALC887 Digital]
placa 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], dispositivo 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
placa 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], dispositivo 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Last edited by jluiz on Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Without sound in linux mint 21.2 cinnamon(headphones)

Post by SMG »

jluiz wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:05 pm Hello, my linux mint cinnamon 21.2 64bits are with problems. The plate of sond of part back are function, but my headphones not function. How mentioned, I altered my kernel to 6.2 be necessary
Welcome to the forum, jluiz.

Have you installed Pulse Audio Volume Control yet? You can do so with

apt install pavucontrol
Then in a terminal run

alsamixer
to open that program in a terminal. We want to see if the headphones are muted by checking the headphones column.

More directions on these steps are in the "Audio Volume Options" of the Tips for Troubleshooting Sound Issues Rev. 1.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
jluiz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jluiz »

I tred the alsamixer comand which I don't know the significanted, but looking the post I which finded the pipeware which read very about he and find which is a good way to correct my sound of the my PC. I find which the pipeware is dificultal to install, but don't get download the comand in the terminal. The comand which you show me in the post, I don't get install in the terminal . Have difficults, I don't understend, when I copy and paste don't function. I find which don't know use this comands of the post.

Last edited by jluiz on Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

jluiz wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:27 pm I tred the alsamixer comand which I don't know the significanted, but looking the post I which finded the pipeware which read very about he and find which is a good way to correct my sound of the my PC. I find which the pipeware is dificultal to install, but don't get download the comand in the terminal.
I don't understand what this means you did. Pipewire is part of Linux Mint 21.2 and you don't need to be installing it. What did you do?
jluiz wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:27 pmThe comand which you show me in the post, I don't get install in the terminal . Have difficults, I don't understend, when I copy and paste don't function. I find which don't know use this comands of the post.
The image you posted is Alsamixer. As the line at the top of the screenshot indicates, you have Alsamixer v. 1.2.6. That is what I wanted you to check.

It shows you have the headphone volume on and at 100%, but I don't understand what you did with Pipewire.
jluiz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jluiz »

:evil: :?: :?: :?: :?: In real, not get use the comands in the terminal. No know whether I be error with the which I make digiting in the computer coping and pasting this comands. In the terminal he not function I find or must be of the another manner the ultilizacion of the comands. The comands which implements the Pipeware in the computer of the post I don't get to use.
Last edited by jluiz on Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

jluiz wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:21 pm :evil: :?: :?: :?: :?: In real, not get use the comands in the terminal. No know whether I be error with the which I make digiting in the computer coping and pasting this comands. In the terminal he not function I find or must be of the another manner the ultilizacion of the comands.
Okay
jluiz wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:21 pmThe comands which implements the Pipeware in the computer of the post I don't get to use.
I understand you to say you did not change your Pipewire that comes with Linux Mint 21.2.

In LM21.2, Pipewire only does a little bit. PulseAudio does the rest. In some documents you might find on the internet, some people completely replace their Pipewire with PulseAudio. That is a different situation and that is what I thought you did. However, it sounds like you did not do that. I do not know if that would work anyway.

Sound problems are usually hardware-specific. What that means it the problem depends on what hardware you using. I did some research and apparently others have had problems with getting sound on the front panel on your motherboard (or one very similar). I am still searching to see if I can find a solution for your motherboard.

In the meantime, can you plug your headphones into the monitor? Are there ports to be able to do that? That uses HDMI sound and you may get sound that way.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

jluiz wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:27 pm Image
In this image, the "Front" option is showing "MM". I would like you to unmute it and see if that helps.
Front.png
Front.png (3.11 KiB) Viewed 559 times
You open the alsamixer program by typing alsamixer in a terminal.
Use the arrow key until the word "Front" is red instead of white. That means "Front" is selected.
Then press the M key so the "MM" changes to a number.

Maybe that will work.
jluiz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jluiz »

I altering to MM to 00, but not function the sound of headphones of the part front. When exclude my user in the computer the sound exited, when I installed outher software linux mint of the original which purchase in the computer :?: :?: :?: :evil: :evil: :twisted:
Last edited by jluiz on Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

jluiz wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:50 pm I altering to MM to 00, but not function the sound of headphones of the part front.
Okay

Several other people have found success with this issue when using the information in the first answer to this question How to force pulseaudio to default to the correct sound card, device, port?.

I do not know if it will work for you, but take a Timeshift snapshot first and try it. One person who used that information explained what they did in this post.

You already did step 1 and the results were:

aplay -l
2. Plug in your headphones and run aplay -D plughw:X,Y /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav . Where X is the sound card and Y is the device. Try different combinations until you can hear from your headphones. In my case, it was 3,1 (card 3, device 1).
For step 2, you only have one sound card so X will always be 0.

That means you plug in the headphones and run the following in a terminal to test if you can hear sound.

aplay -D plughw:0,0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
if there is no sound, then try

aplay -D plughw:0,1 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav

aplay -D plughw:0,2 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav

aplay -D plughw:0,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
Let us know which one of those works.
3. Run

pactl list-sinks
and find the name of the sink of your device.
You can post the output of this command and we can figure out which one matches the results from step 2 if you cannot tell which one it is.

If you understand the instructions you can continue the steps or we can help you continue the steps with more detailed instructions after you post the results from the first three steps.
4. Edit /etc/pulse/default.pa with whatever editor you like. sudo nano /etc/pulse/default.pa . Append the following two lines at the end of file
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:X,Y
set-sink-port name_of_sink
Again. Replace X,Y, and name_of_device with the card, device, and the name of the sink obtained in step 2.

5. Run pulseaudio --kill and pulseaudio --start
jluiz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jluiz »

I geted maker the sound appear in the computer, in the part back changed the place when seted the line in to line out(audio interno) the also altered of not available to available in line out and headphones.

Now geted listem the sound.

Thank you! :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8)

Last edited by jluiz on Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

jluiz wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:32 pmNow geted listem the sound.

Thank you! :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8)
That is good news! :)

Please go to your first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the title and submit the revised post so others know you are no longer seeking help on this issue. (animated gif courtesy of user BJZilberman)
jluiz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Without sound in linux mint 21.2 cinnamon(headphones)[RESOLVIDO]

Post by jluiz »

jluiz wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:05 pm Hello, my linux mint cinnamon 21.2 64bits are with problems. The plate of sond of part back are function, but my headphones not function. How mentioned, I altered my kernel to 6.2 be necessary

System:
  Kernel: 6.2.0-39-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A Desktop: Cinnamon 5.8.4 tk: GTK 3.24.33
    wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: INTEL model: H55 serial: <superuser required> BIOS: American Megatrends
    v: 080015 date: 01/11/2022
CPU:
  Info: single core model: Intel Core i5 650 bits: 64 arch: Westmere rev: 5 cache: L1: 64 KiB
    L2: 256 KiB L3: 4 MiB
  Speed (MHz): 3191 min/max: N/A core: 1: 3191 bogomips: 6382
  Flags: ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel ports:
    active: HDMI-A-1 empty: DP-1,VGA-1 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0042
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
    gpu: i915 display-ID: :0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1440x900 s-dpi: 96
  Monitor-1: HDMI-1 mapped: HDMI-A-1 model: HDMI res: 1440x900 dpi: 64
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics (ILK) v: 2.1 Mesa 23.0.4-0ubuntu1~22.04.1
    direct render: Yes
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
    bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:3b56
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k6.2.0-39-generic running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet driver: r8169 v: kernel pcie:
    speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: e800 bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8136
  IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
  IF-ID-1: docker0 state: down mac: <filter>
  IF-ID-2: vmnet1 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
  IF-ID-3: vmnet8 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 260.14 GiB used: 218.01 GiB (83.8%)
  ID-1: /dev/sda model: SATA SSD size: 223.57 GiB speed: 3.0 Gb/s serial: <filter>
  ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Cruzer Fit size: 29.11 GiB speed: 3.0 Gb/s
  ID-3: /dev/sdc type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Cruzer Blade size: 7.45 GiB speed: <unknown>
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 136.45 GiB used: 90.97 GiB (66.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 512 MiB used: 6.1 MiB (1.2%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/sda2
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 75.62 GiB used: 774 MiB (1.0%) priority: -2 dev: /dev/sda4
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 70.0 C mobo: N/A
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Repos:
  Packages: 2273 apt: 2266 flatpak: 7
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/docker.list
    1: deb [arch=amd64 signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/docker.gpg] https: //download.docker.com/linux/ubuntu jammy stable
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
    1: deb http: //packages.linuxmint.com victoria main upstream import backport
    2: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy main restricted universe multiverse
    3: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
    4: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
    5: deb http: //security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jammy-security main restricted universe multiverse
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgadmin4.list
    1: deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/packages-pgadmin-org.gpg] https: //ftp.postgresql.org/pub/pgadmin/pgadmin4/apt/jammy pgadmin4 main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list
    1: deb https: //apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt victoria-pgdg main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list
    1: deb [arch=amd64,arm64,armhf] http: //packages.microsoft.com/repos/code stable main
Info:
  Processes: 265 Uptime: 2h 24m Memory: 7.68 GiB used: 2.09 GiB (27.2%) Init: systemd v: 249
  runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 11.4.0 alt: 11/12 Client: Unknown python3.10 client inxi: 3.3.13

aplay -l
Finded the solucion to my problem after which you say about pavucontrol and when execution aplay -D plughw:. And the pactl list-sinks, not have hyphen (pactl list sinks). :mrgreen:

Return to “Sound”