SOLVED Virt Manager Search Permission Fault

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SayWhat
Level 2
Level 2

SOLVED Virt Manager Search Permission Fault

Post by SayWhat »

I have 2 NVME devices; let's call them 1TB and 2TB, since that's what they are and easy to remember.

I've just done a clean installation of mint onto 1TB, and installed virt manager and its dependencies.

Before ever running virt manager, I reset its storage pool to a path inside 2TB, so accumulating a pile of QCOW2 files won't strangle the mint on 1TB. I used the following procedure, and it appears t have worked as intended:

Code: Select all

misa@misa-desk:~$ virsh pool-destroy default
Pool default destroyed
misa@misa-desk:~$ virsh pool-undefine default
Pool default has been undefined
misa@misa-desk:~$ virsh pool-define-as --name default --type dir --target /media/misa/NVME2TB/QCOW2_FILES
Pool default defined
misa@misa-desk:~$ virsh pool-autostart default
Pool default marked as autostarted
misa@misa-desk:~$ virsh pool-start default
Pool default started
Now the problem: When I try to define a VM, I get a series of warnings about unable to search; here's the first (I get one every step that references anything over on 2TB device):

Everything over on 2TB is 777 permissions, my regular account is owner and group, seems to me the whole world should be able to traverse 2TB and access files there. But something's impeding that. Is there some manipulation of group membership or whatever needed here? (The message I attached is the win iso, I realize, but it does the same for any reference to the 2TB device, so I just showed the 1st that appears.)

Thanks!
Attachments
Emulator Search Permission.png
Emulator Search Permission.png (23.51 KiB) Viewed 407 times
Last edited by SayWhat on Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
SayWhat
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Virt Manager Search Permission Fault

Post by SayWhat »

Discovered the answer: Virt-manager gives the permission error message, but doesn't tell what permission is missing, making it hard to fix. But run it under sudo and when it chokes, say "yes" (as in you intend to go fix something) and what it really means is it will fix something. It changes some permission somewhere, but doesn't tell you what it did. Hopefully it has no impact on security, but we don't know, because it doesn't tell us what it just did. But the next time you run virt-manager, not under sudo, the error won't occur; whatever it changes is effective.

Weird, but once you know, tolerable.

Return to “Virtual Machines”