Cinnamon.css reference?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
artie_y
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon.css reference?

Post by artie_y »

I want to find some documentation or some way to know what are all the css classes available and what they target, or a tool for select an element and find their css

I tried research here for some days but does not found anything, unfortunately. All what I could find is "trial and error", which I'm doing, but its kinda frustrating find some specific key (but also rewarding :D)

(Currently I'm trying to find what is the class for the count of windows open of a given window)

I'm new to customization, so any information about this is welcome, thanks!
LPH_[retired]
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Cinnamon.css reference?

Post by LPH_[retired] »

If you're receptive to flatpaks, installing Oomox theme designer will go a long way to confirming whether or not you want to explore the mess that is theming in linux. You'll most like want to install gtk-3-examples and gtk-4-examples as well (both are in the Mint repositories)
Invoke the widget-factory. This displays the gtk widgets as defined by your theme.

Also check out the gtk3 documentation for in-depth information.

I've spent an inordinate amount time messing with themes for very slow/little gain because either I'm incredibly stupid (possible) or I just can't get my head around the approach. (I was a programmer for 30+ years, helps but still...)

Regards

Edit: corrected package names
Alcohol is gods apology for making us self aware.
James May
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

LPH_[retired] wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:44 am If you're receptive to flatpaks, installing Oomox theme designer will go a long way to confirming whether or not you want to explore the mess that is theming in linux. You'll most like want to install gtk-3-examples and gtk-4-examples as well (both are in the Mint repositories)
Invoke the widget-factory. This displays the gtk widgets as defined by your theme.

Also check out the gtk3 documentation for in-depth information.

I've spent an inordinate amount time messing with themes for very slow/little gain because either I'm incredibly stupid (possible) or I just can't get my head around the approach. (I was a programmer for 30+ years, helps but still...)

Regards

Edit: corrected package names
These are some good resources but they do nothing to help with theming cinnamon itself. There is no documentation for this. I've considered going through the default Cinnamon theme at some point and commenting all the selectors. I've just never got around to it.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
LPH_[retired]
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LPH_[retired] »

Apologies for appearing contrary, not my intention.

Both of those package do allow for modifying themes while oomox will create a cinnamon theme if checked on export. The primary issue for me is the complete total lack of documentation and slim web hits on how tos for these apps. It usually a modify and see what happens (if anything at all). The entire process is tedious and challenging

I've found these links to be helpful:
https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/enablin ... yles/20150
https://github.com/surajmandalcell/Gtk- ... _themes.md

regards
Alcohol is gods apology for making us self aware.
James May
zerth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zerth »

I explored the same problem last year and came to the following conclusions:

1. The main issue is that Cinnamon supports CSS only partially. Which is understandable since not all its parts are applicable to a DE: CSS was invented for web pages.

2. The easiest way to find out what is supported is to find a theme that looks like what you want and see how it does this. If there is no theme that does what you want, it probably cannot be done.
artie_y
Level 1
Level 1

Post by artie_y »

I appreciate all the information on this, I will explore some themes that do what I want (as suggested) and try to continue my journey here. Thanks to you all!
JoanTheSpark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JoanTheSpark »

Thanks for the links LPH.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”