Session Freeze when gaming.

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
georgek
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Session Freeze when gaming.

Post by georgek »

Can you notice a difference between this and all other games that don't have the problem? For example the only game that I have the problem appear is a native title with only an opengl renderer. Other than that I cannot really understand what is the difference with eg. Project zomboid (native) or fallout4 (proton). Is it a library issue, a specific configuration scheme? That is what I don't understand. The general problem lies with Nvidia and xorg but something has to trigger it.
Kory
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kory »

I wish I could find the trigger, there is no indication or hint to what is causing it sadly. I was playing every day for the past two and a half weeks without any issues, then bam! It seems to be completely random to me.

The XID error 8 I'm getting is "GPU stopped processing" according to https://docs.nvidia.com/deploy/xid-errors/index.html. Yes, I noticed :). I do not believe it's a bus error or thermal issue. But I do not have the technical skills to debug it more.
TaresPL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TaresPL »

I'm not sure if I had the same issue, because only game window froze after some time playing (I could normally alt+tab and kill the proces), but what helped in my case was to switch DM. I initially installed Cinnamon and I've tried a lot of stuff, nothing helped. Now I'm on MATE and I don't have this issue anymore.

Kernel 6.5, GTX1080Ti@535.
georgek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by georgek »

Thought about it too but in the end I didn't want to bloat my system with too many dependencies and extra packages so I decided against it. Still it can be a viable solution.
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

georgek
I can't advise anything.

1. Find a bug and report it.

My problem a long time ago was different.
but I wanted to confirm that the log is sometimes combined into one, so the person above found the error using the "-b 0" option.
and I wanted to show a characteristic moment in the log " -- Reboot -- "
This allows you to find where you used the reset button. However, the error should be above.
However, the entire log should be reviewed for errors.
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=329010&p=1888087&h ... t#p1888087

If you need tips, You can find it on the internet.
For example https://github.com/tele1/LinuxTutorial/ ... in/Menu.md
However, there will be more information on the Internet.

I used also netdata to identify the application causing the problem.
I just checked whether the application used more CPU or RAM before suspending.
I probably edited /etc/netdata/apps_groups.conf to track firefox, mate-terminal, steam.
Because by default it tracks the sum of all user applications.
( What I mean is that by default it will show Xorg usage instead of a specific application. )
viewtopic.php?p=1973045&hilit=Netdata#p1973045

Nvidia's documentation is also very interesting
nvidia-bug-report.sh is a script that installs with the NVIDIA driver. It collects debug logs and command outputs from the system ...
Maybe helpful for Nvidia developers.
https://docs.nvidia.com/deploy/xid-errors/index.html

2. Testing as above is also a good way

3. Off topic
I'm a bit confused.
loaded: modesetting,nvidia
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 630
Does it have hybrid graphic?
And whether you use NVIDIA Prime from Nvidia Settings to switching the graphics card?
georgek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by georgek »

Thank you for the info! I'll check it when I get some free time since I also noticed a second game where the problem appears (Batman Arkham Knight). The only hassle free method that works 100% is streaming the games that don't work to my laptop (in my case from my steam deck to my laptop with steam's built in streaming feature -god bless lord Gaben!).

Edit: yes I have hybrid graphics (Nvidia card with Intel CPU). I use the on demand option from the applet.
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

And if you use Proton try for developers create log from game,
maybe they can help you.
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/wiki/Proton-FAQ

Problems with Steam + Proton games are reported there
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues
mihaialpha
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mihaialpha »

I've had this on pretty much every X11 DE. In kde, there was an option that prohibited apps from disabling compositing and that fixed it.
Kory
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kory »

At this point I'm also quite convinced that it's an X11 issue but I'm not brave enough to test Wayland yet :wink:
georgek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by georgek »

Kory wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:17 am At this point I'm also quite convinced that it's an X11 issue but I'm not brave enough to test Wayland yet :wink:
Wayland is the solution but the only stable enough option is to install another de that supports Wayland well enough. Cinnamon is far from stable on that front.
mihaialpha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:37 am I've had this on pretty much every X11 DE. In kde, there was an option that prohibited apps from disabling compositing and that fixed it.
Interesting I'll have to check that. Maybe there is an option in cinnamon too albeit via configs.

Return to “Gaming”