Start menu suddenly changed

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kcholman
Level 1
Level 1

Start menu suddenly changed

Post by kcholman »

I restarted my computer and couldn't login. I figured out the disk was full and went in the command line to delete two large audio files. I couldn't find them in the trash but I emptied it just in case. (that's everything I did in the terminal) Thank you, forums!

Then I logged in fine, but somehow my start menu is messed up. The icon in the corner changed, the favorites and recent apps are empty, and the categories are right of the application list instead of left. I found how to change the settings, but I don't see any option for the placement of the categories. And I would rather not fix this piece by piece if there's a way to put it back all at once. Thank you for any tips
michael-hi
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Start menu suddenly changed

Post by michael-hi »

Hi kcholman and welcome to the forums.

It sounds like your menu has lost its Mint customisation and reverted to a standard Xfce "Whisker menu". I'm guessing that it now has a blue Xfce mouse icon rather than the Linux Mint logo? I'm not sure why that happens or if there's a simple way to restore it with one click. However, assuming that a simple logout/login doesn't cure it, you can swap the categories list to the left by a right-click on the menu icon, then select Properties and on the second tab (Appearance) tick the box "Position categories next to panel button". I also suggest you go to the third tab (Behaviour) and make sure that "Switch categories by hovering" is also selected.

You can add the Favourites back by going to each one in the All Applications section of the menu. Right-click on the ones you want to put back and in each case select "Add to Favourites". The default apps in the Favourites section are:

Firefox Web Browser
Thunderbird Mail
Pix
Rhythmbox
Calculator
Text Editor
Software Manager
Task Manager

But, of course, you can add whichever apps you like to this. For the menu button (icon) go back to the second tab of the Whisker Menu properties (Appearance tab) and click once on the icon there. You then get the option to select a different icon (although you may have to wait a minute before this choice appears). If you put linuxmint-logo in the search box you can choose a coloured LM icon, eg linuxmint-logo-ring. However, I think (not 100% certain) that the default monochrome icon is linuxmint-logo-ring-symbolic. For that you would need to change the drop-down choice at the top to Image Files and then navigate to:
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/linuxmint-logo-ring-symbolic.svg

The above assumes you have LM 21.2, but anyway I think the layout of the tabs on the Whisker Menu properties in earlier versions was fairly similar.
kcholman
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Start menu suddenly changed

Post by kcholman »

Thank you for all those details!

Return to “Xfce”