Problem with dual monitor configuration/orientation randomly changing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bt101
Level 3
Level 3

Problem with dual monitor configuration/orientation randomly changing

Post by bt101 »

Running mint 21 xfce.
It is a laptop and I'm using it as a home theatre pc with the tv connected to hdmi.

The quick description of the problem is... I set the orientation of the monitors (the tv and the laptop display) using the xfce "display" app (you know left/right/over/under etc). It will stay like that for a day or so, and then randomly change. So let's say I have the tv on the left, I'll come back a few days later and the "display" app will show the laptop display on top of the tv, or above the tv, etc (basically anything other than what I had set - yeah can't even have dumb luck select what I want).

If you are thinking it has something to do with closing the laptop lid, I'll give a few pieces of info.
  • Although I do close the lid (because it is theatre pc), it does this behavior even if I never close the lid.
  • It doesn't happen at the time of lid close, but a random time days later.
  • In the "power" app, I have set the laptop lid action to "switch off display".
  • I've also tried a "display" setting where I disable the laptop display and make the tv the primary display.
    I'll come back later and the damn laptop display is now enabled! (as well as being on top of the tv or some other wrong spot).
How can I make these settings stick? Is there some kludge to make some file permanently un-writable?

Background detail:
I'm running jellyfin theatre app along with a jellyfin add-on called jelly-fin shim, which will play videos on fullscreen.
Jellyfin shim config requires the xy coordinates of the monitor on which you want to display the video.
These coordinates depend on how you have both monitors configured in xfce. It does not matter how you have the monitors configured in xfce (right/left/over/under) as long as you enter the correct coordinates AND the orientation of the monitors never changes.

Edit: Earlier I couldn't figure out how to upload images.
Here is an example of how I setup the monitors:
normal.png
I come back later at some random time and it has changed to (for example) this:
messedup.png
Power settings:
power.png
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Problem with dual monitor configuration/orientation randomly changing

Post by SMG »

bt101 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:25 pmHow can I make these settings stick? Is there some kludge to make some file permanently un-writable?
Is the TV on all the time? I'm wondering if the computer sees it disappear and that's why the laptop gets re-enabled.

LM21 has an older version of Xfce than LM21.2. If somehow this relates to a bug (and I don't know if it does), maybe the newer version will help. However, people have had problems with power management with the newer version so that's something to keep in mind.

If this is a sleep-related issue, I did find this topic on the Xfce forum multiple monitor wakeup/sleep related issues.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Xfce”