Upgrading to LM21.3 Virginia

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Inundated
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Upgrading to LM21.3 Virginia

Post by Inundated »

I haven't tried the update yet, but the new Firefox is a VERY slow download as expected. Too bad we can't get that from mirrors...
LAPTOP: HP - Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon via SSD with Windows 11 on hardware
DESKTOP: Lenovo ThinkCentre M83 SFF- Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (on hold for now)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Inundated wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:58 pm I haven't tried the update yet, but the new Firefox is a VERY slow download as expected.
I downloaded Firefox last night and didn't have any problem at all. Usually the next day (when you are doing it) is fine, but not this time.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
drtweakllc
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 21.3 “Virginia” released!

Post by drtweakllc »

Quick question. Running Mint 21.2 Edge. When I go to update manager - edit - I am offered to upgrade to Mint 21.3, but is this 21.3 Edge? The reason I ask is becasue I don't see the ISO of 21.3 Edge as available for download, I don't want to "downgrade" to the standard Mint.

Thanks
Inundated
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Inundated »

SMG wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:16 pm
Inundated wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:58 pm I haven't tried the update yet, but the new Firefox is a VERY slow download as expected.
I downloaded Firefox last night and didn't have any problem at all. Usually the next day (when you are doing it) is fine, but not this time.
It finally finished, and there's a new update manager.

I installed it, and it provides a link to upgrade to Virginia, but I'm gonna wait for now.
LAPTOP: HP - Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon via SSD with Windows 11 on hardware
DESKTOP: Lenovo ThinkCentre M83 SFF- Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (on hold for now)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

drtweakllc wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:36 pm Quick question. Running Mint 21.2 Edge. When I go to update manager - edit - I am offered to upgrade to Mint 21.3, but is this 21.3 Edge? The reason I ask is becasue I don't see the ISO of 21.3 Edge as available for download, I don't want to "downgrade" to the standard Mint.

Thanks
Welcome to the forum, drtweakllc.

Edge is not a version of Linux Mint. It is just the Cinnamon desktop with a newer kernel. Anyone with what you are calling "standard Mint" can make it into "Edge" by upgrading their kernel in Update Manager. No one is downgraded or upgraded because anyone can change their kernel version. Point release upgrades do not change your kernel so it will stay the same.

And I recommend you wait before upgrading because the system is clogged right now AND the upgrade instructions have not yet been officially released.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Inundated wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:37 pm... it provides a link to upgrade to Virginia, but I'm gonna wait for now.
Very good idea. :mrgreen:
drtweakllc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drtweakllc »

Thank you for your reply SMG.
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

FenderGuy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:54 pm
SMG wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:32 pm
FenderGuy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:29 pm To be clear, is this the OFFICIAL LM 21.3 (Virginia) release, or are we still in BETA mode?
It is the official ISO for LM21.3. There is no "beta" in the title of this topic.
YIPPEE! Thanks, Liinux Mint DEV Team!
I spoke too soon, SMG. :oops:

Yes, I DID apply the upgrade from 21.2 to 21.3, via the Update Manager, but...

Immediately thereafter, I got another notification for an update. When I clicked the update icon, it began to reinstall the update! Very strange. :shock:

In any case, I restored my installation, via a saved backup, to 21.2, and I plan to stay there until I can figure out what happened!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

FenderGuy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:42 pmYes, I DID apply the upgrade from 21.2 to 21.3, via the Update Manager
I have moved your post out of the Virginia release announcement because you did not install Virginia using an ISO.
FenderGuy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:42 pm , but...

Immediately thereafter, I got another notification for an update. When I clicked the update icon, it began to reinstall the update! Very strange. :shock:

In any case, I restored my installation, via a saved backup, to 21.2, and I plan to stay there until I can figure out what happened!
Might be best to wait for the official upgrade instructions before attempting again. There have been multiple people having problems and some may be related to the fact the servers are getting overloaded (or some Ubuntu ones are not available).
Tanuki
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tanuki »

I just upgraded. Everything works as before. :) The upgrade was very fast.
On the internet nobody knows you're a cat =^.^=
busdriver12
Level 3
Level 3

Post by busdriver12 »

Tanuki wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:05 am I just upgraded. Everything works as before. :) The upgrade was very fast.
Same here - whole process took less that 5 minutes.

However, I had to reset to default mirror to pick up the latest version of minupdate to get the process started. It obviously hadn't propagated to my local on local mirror. Had the same issue upgrading from 21.1 to 21.2.
Phil

Linux Mint 21.3
Cinnamon 6.0.4
Neophyte
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Neophyte »

I did the upgrade almost immediately after the announcement thread was made. Took several hours, and one of the downloads errored out a time or two. It ended up working fine though. I just chalk it up to the servers being inundated with tons of people trying to upgrade all at once.
Patience is a virtue, but there are no saints left in this world.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Neophyte wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:38 am I did the upgrade almost immediately after the announcement thread was made.
The only announcement which has been made was the one for the availability of the ISOs for fresh installs. If one reads the blog post it said instructions for upgrade would come later. It is not yet "later".
bengtfalke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bengtfalke »

I upgraded during the night... all worked fine. I was already on 6.2 low latency kernel.
Thank you!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900 (24) @ 3.100GH, GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2070 SUPER
Mem:32025MiB, SSD1: WD: 931.51 GiB, SSD2: Intel: 1.86 TiB

Linux Mint 21.3 kernel 6.5 low latency
Neophyte
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Neophyte »

SMG wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:16 am
Neophyte wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:38 am I did the upgrade almost immediately after the announcement thread was made.
The only announcement which has been made was the one for the availability of the ISOs for fresh installs. If one reads the blog post it said instructions for upgrade would come later. It is not yet "later".
I never claimed otherwise, chief. I only used that thread as point of time reference.
Patience is a virtue, but there are no saints left in this world.
brlfq
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 21.3 after installation

Post by brlfq »

Yesterday I upgraded from 21.2 to 21.3, took about an hour.

Afterwards it worked fine and then...

I tried installing XCFE using Synaptic and afterwards the system was buggy, stuttering video and load issues.

So I started Timeshift and set the system back to 21.2 (that I saved before the upgrade) and everything was back to normal.

This morning I did the upgrade again and it was much faster and everything works great.

Before the upgrade I was prompted to update Firefox but since I use Brave & didn't have Firefox installed I opened Synaptic and removed the Firefox English Libraries listed as installed. When I refreshed the Update Manager Firefox was no longer on the list of updates (I was trying to avoid a longer download).

Post upgrade I took another Timeshift snapshot.
LM 21.3 Cinnamon on...
HP EliteDesk 800 G5 - i5-9500T,
Dell 3040 Micro - i5-6500T
LG Gram i7 Laptop
pegasis
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pegasis »

Does LM21.3 only support 5.15 kernel?

what supports 6,5 or new 6.7 kernels?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

pegasis wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:41 pm Does LM21.3 only support 5.15 kernel?
The current HWE kernel for LM21.3 is the 6.5 kernel and is available in Update Manager.

Instructions for upgrading to the 6.5 kernel:
  • Open Update Manager.
  • Select View > Linux Kernels and click Continue.
  • Make sure 6.5 is selected on the left panel and then click the top-most option on the right panel. An "Install" button will appear.
  • Install the kernel and then reboot for it to become active.
kallestar4
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kallestar4 »

Is anyone else not able to update Update Manager, despite it saying there's a new version?

It's happening for me with two LM 21.2 systems (laptop and desktop).

Maybe it's still too early to try?
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Apt is corrupt message during 21.3 mate upgrade

Post by wpshooter »

IF the download source for upgrading to version 21.3 needs to be reset to the default servers, it would be nice
if that warning was issued prior to getting part the way thru the upgrade process !!!

However, even though that would be nice, not doing so does not seem to have affected the successful updating
to 21.3, will know for sure maybe later.

P.S. - Still think there is nothing like doing a complete fresh install from scratch !!! However, the fact that I am
using a Brother printer, makes that a real PITA.

Thanks.
Last edited by SMG on Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Installation & Boot to this chat topic. The upgrade process is a software update and not an installation and this is not a request for help.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”