Upgrading to LM21.3 Virginia

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Venus Flytrap
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Upgrading to LM21.3 Virginia

Post by Venus Flytrap »

testingthemint22 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:20 am I've upgraded to 21.3 from 21.2 via the upgrade built into the OS. Seamless process and most of all, I notice the significant performance improvement versus 21.2. Great work Linux mint team. I'm hugely impressed.
Just curious if you could detail the 'significant performance improvement' that you noticed? In what way? Thanks.
System: Mint Cinnamon 21.1. CPU: Intel E7600. RAM: 4GB. Video: ATI HD 4830. SSD: Kingston KC600 512GB (boot-drive) & Kingston A400, 480GB (backup). Display: ASUS VA24DQ 23.8"
Inundated
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Inundated »

The blog post about upgrading even hit my phone's Google Discover feed, so I decided to go ahead and do it today.

Smooth and easy upgrade, and quick, too...when it did all the file installs, I left the laptop and went to make breakfast. By the time I got back to the computer, it was done, and a reboot later...yes!

So far, so good. No problems (at least yet) and it seems faster, though that could be confirmation bias...
LAPTOP: HP - Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon via SSD with Windows 11 on hardware
DESKTOP: Lenovo ThinkCentre M83 SFF- Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (on hold for now)
brlfq
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brlfq »

Cinnamon & KDE working great in 21.3

Wayland is having some issues though.

I know it's experimental but I thought I'd post up what won't open when using Wayland-

- Synaptic
- Spectacle Screenshot
- Firewall Configuration
- GParted
- Plank
- Timeshift
LM 21.3 Cinnamon on...
HP EliteDesk 800 G5 - i5-9500T,
Dell 3040 Micro - i5-6500T
LG Gram i7 Laptop
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

brlfq wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:33 pmWayland is having some issues though.

I know it's experimental but I thought I'd post up what won't open when using Wayland-

- Synaptic
- Spectacle Screenshot
- Firewall Configuration
- GParted
- Plank
- Timeshift
Did you read WAYLAND - read this first! which specifically indicates:
SMG wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:14 pmWhile in Wayland, GUI tools which normally prompt you for a password like updates, synaptic, mintsources, or pkexec can not yet be done.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
mgruber
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mgruber »

I experienced a desktop settings reset while doing two Mint Xfce upgrades to 21.3.
Where am I supposed to report this to bring this to the attention to the appropriate devs?
I don't want other people to run into the same issue.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mgruber wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:13 am I experienced a desktop settings reset while doing two Mint Xfce upgrades to 21.3.
VM questions/issues are best posted in the Virtual Machines forum. Only if you replicate it on bare metal would posting in Desktop:Xfce be a good place for it. There are many issues which only happen because one is running Mint on top of VM software.

I will move your topic to the VM forum. Let's see if others are running into the issue because I don't recall seeing others upgrading on bare metal mentioning this happening.

Also, LM21.3 is Virginia and not Victoria like you posted. The reason I specifically mention that is because Victoria (LM21.2) received a newer version of Xfce than Vera (LM21.1) had and that might be a factor in what you noticed depending upon what you had prior to upgrade and which upgrade you did.
mgruber
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mgruber »

SMG wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:51 pm VM questions/issues are best posted in the Virtual Machines forum. Only if you replicate it on bare metal would posting in Desktop:Xfce be a good place for it. There are many issues which only happen because one is running Mint on top of VM software.
That would be the case if this problem would be hardware related.
But it's obviously a Xfce/Mint configuration file problem which causes the fallback/reset to the default Xfce settings.

I'm doing VM upgrades before bare metal upgrades in order to check for problems - that's pretty much standard procedure.
Also, LM21.3 is Virginia and not Victoria like you posted. The reason I specifically mention that is because Victoria (LM21.2) received a newer version of Xfce than Vera (LM21.1) had and that might be a factor in what you noticed depending upon what you had prior to upgrade and which upgrade you did.
Thanks for the hint, I corrected it - those names are very similar, IMHO too similar for a subsequent version
I guess I won't be the only one falling for that trap.
brlfq
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brlfq »

SMG wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:32 am
brlfq wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:33 pmWayland is having some issues though.

- Synaptic
- Spectacle Screenshot
- Firewall Configuration
- GParted
- Plank
- Timeshift
Did you read WAYLAND - read this first! which specifically indicates:
SMG wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:14 pmWhile in Wayland, GUI tools which normally prompt you for a password like updates, synaptic, mintsources, or pkexec can not yet be done.
Well, obviously not.

:roll:
LM 21.3 Cinnamon on...
LG Gram i7 Laptop
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

brlfq wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:42 pm
Do all those require a password? I know some of them do, but I'm not familiar with Spectacle Screenshot or Plank and it's been a while since I used GParted and don't recall if it does. Just wondering if there might be some other issue which is a factor and whether a bug report should be created.
brlfq
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brlfq »

Spectacle is a KDE screen capture app not found with the Mint distro so disregard.

Plank is a dock -

https://vitux.com/how-to-use-plank-a-si ... on-ubuntu/

Gparted does require a password entry.
LM 21.3 Cinnamon on...
LG Gram i7 Laptop
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

brlfq wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:55 pm Spectacle is a KDE screen capture app not found with the Mint distro so disregard.

Plank is a dock -

https://vitux.com/how-to-use-plank-a-si ... on-ubuntu/
Do they require passwords? I don't see mention of it in the link for Plank.

I think KDE Plasma is using different Wayland technology so that could be a factor with how Spectacle does/does not work on Cinnamon's Wayland.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

[Edited] Re: Upgrading to LM21.3 Virginia

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

I have been obliged to update from Linux Mint 20.3 Mate to 21.3 Mate:
- Flatpaks don't work any longer with Nvidia GPU and 390.157 drivers, see https://github.com/flathub/org.freedesk ... issues/211.
- So I can't have the latest versions of the applications I need from flathub.
- The latest versions of most applications use ffmpeg 4.4.x, Qt 5.15, Qt 6, ffmpeg 5, ffmpeg 6: all these libraries can be provided from PPAs (or compiled), but recent applications also need at least glibc 2.34, while Linux Mint 20.3 uses 2.31 version, and Linux Mint 21.3 uses 2.35 version.

I just want to share what I did, not a common way to upgrade.

In the past I had made several attempts to use mintupgrade to go from 20.3 to 21, but each attempt had failed: mintupgrade was unable to compile some Nvidia modules in the kernel.

Here is how I proceeded to upgrade:
- First of all I made a system backup with Foxclone, a system snapshot with Timeshift, and my home backup with FreeFileSync.
- On my SSD I have three partitions: sda1 "/", sda2 "/home" and swap; I use BIOS (my computer is able to use UEFI, but I don't need it); sda1 and sda2 are formatted with "msdos" boot sector and ext4 file system.
- I have booted from a Ventoy USB key with Linux Mint 21.3 Mate ISO, launched the installation, selected "other", and set sda1 to be formatted as ext4 and used as "/", sda2 to be used as "/home" and not formatted, swap to be used and formatted as swap.
- I received an error message saying thet UEFI could not be used, and I ignored it, since I don't use UEFI.

Installation ran straightforward.

After installation, I have the same partitions as before, with no extra one.
Capture du 2024-01-20 10-00-54.png

When I booted from the freshly installed Mint 21.3, I recovered my desktop as it was with Mint 20.3.

i have updated the installation, including LibreOffice to 7.5.9 with Jammy backports, and, since I use some KDE applications, I installed Kubuntu backports PPA, ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports.

Some applications were missing, I installed them from the repositories, or from external sources (Handbrake, VLC, Microsoft Edge, Proton VPN, VMware Workstation Player, Veracrypt and many others...).

I have updated CUPS, from 2.4.1 to 2.4.2, using ppa:dkosovic/cups (2.4.2 version fixes a lot of bugs from 2.4.1).

My Brother Laser printer is now driverless; I have uninstalled sane-airscan and ipp-usb, compiled Gutenberg 5.3.4 and updated it with drivers for my Canon Selphy CP 1300, installed sane backends and completed them with Epson drivers for my scanner, installed xsane frontend, (see viewtopic.php?t=394754).

I have installed Tor as a service see https://support.torproject.org/apt/. Instead of using Tor Browser, I use Firefox with specific settings.

Audacity and Avidemux are found as AppImages from their websites.

I have found the latest version of Pinta as an AppImage, from https://www.appimagehub.com/p/2086477. Pinta developers now use Microsoft .Net 7.0, and they don't know how to distribute it except as a flatpak. Fortunately, Pinta can be compiled, if you install Microsoft .Net 7.0 for Linux on your system! :mrgreen:

The following applications can be found from PPAs, and these PPAs are respectful of your system installation: they don't change existing libraries:
- Handbrake, using ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/handbrake.
- OBS Studio, using ppa:obsproject/obs-studio.
- VLC, using ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/vlc; note that it includes ffmpeg 6 statically linked, with no need to install ffmpeg 6 separately.

Rob Savoury offers several PPAs, some are free, one is private and requires a donation. Here are some of the free PPAs, that could be used to refresh Linux Mint 21.3 / Jammy with newer libraries and applications:
ppa:savoury1/build-tools
ppa:savoury1/utilities
ppa:savoury1/backports
ppa:savoury1/graphics
ppa:savoury1/multimedia
ppa:savoury1/ffmpeg4
ppa:savoury1/qt-6-2
I have tested these PPAs on Linux Mint 20.3, before upgrading. They do work! But they are all depending the ones on the others, they change system libraries and applications, they are very adherent and you cannot go back. After that you don't have Linux Mint/Ubuntu any longer, but "Rob OS"! I don't advise using them, except if there is no other solution to run an application.

In case of need, ffmpeg 6 can be installed from ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/ffmpeg6.

Timeshift has been upgraded to 24.01.1 version. Its release notes say that translations have been updated. Nice... But what about the bug fixes? It seems that Timeshift maintainers never read the issues on Github, bugs are unassigned, issues are never closed. So, is this latest version reliable? Who knows... Timeshift development still needs to be managed, with bugs corrections and a history of versions with each fixed issue written in the release notes.

A problem with Nvidia 390.157 driver and 5.15.x kernels: after each kernel update, OpenCL does not work.
I used to solve it the following way:
uname-r will give you the version of the used kernel.
Supposed kernel is "5.15.0-91-generic", you install:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install linux-modules-nvidia-390-5.15.0-91-generic
This forces the installation of the following packages: "linux-modules-nvidia-390-5.15.0-91-generic", "linux-objects-nvidia-390-5.15.0-91-generic", "linux-signatures-nvidia-390-5.15.0-91-generic", omitted by the kernel update.
After that, clinfo shows that OpenCL works (it can be used, as an example, in LibreOffice).

But the best way is to install "linux-modules-nvidia-390-generic" package; when it is installed on the system, at each kernel update, the corresponding Install extra signed nvidia-390 modules compatible with the generic flavour are automatically installed, and clinfo works fine after system reboot.

Just to mention a remaining problem: normally sudo apt-get autoremove --purge should remove the unused kernels, keeping the latest two. But it doesn't work, I remove old third kernel with kernel tool in update manager.

Since I can't use flatpaks any longer, I now use Firefail to sandbox my applications. It works, but is much less user-friendly as flatpak. I complete it with AppArmor and systemd sandboxing. See viewtopic.php?t=397740.

Preparing this installation, with a complete and detailed to-do list, took me a few days. The installation itself took me one day, including testing and backups.

Regards,

MN

PS: I could enable Ubuntu Pro, following my tutorial, viewtopic.php?f=42&t=391484.
A very good surprise, kernels view in update manager does work, while it didn't with Linux Mint 20.3.
I had just to:
- change the content of "/usr/lib/os-release" (see the tutorial),
- copy "/usr/share/mintsources/virginia" to "/usr/share/mintsources/jammy" to have mintsources work,
- attach my computer to Ubuntu Pro (free subscription).
Since snapd is blocked, I have two services available:
$ pro status
SERVICE ENTITLED STATUS DESCRIPTION
anbox-cloud yes disabled Scalable Android in the cloud
esm-apps yes enabled Expanded Security Maintenance for Applications
esm-infra yes enabled Expanded Security Maintenance for Infrastructure

fips-preview yes disabled Preview of FIPS crypto packages undergoing certification with NIST
fips-updates yes disabled FIPS compliant crypto packages with stable security updates
livepatch yes disabled Canonical Livepatch service
realtime-kernel* yes disabled Ubuntu kernel with PREEMPT_RT patches integrated
usg yes disabled Security compliance and audit tools

* Service has variants

For a list of all Ubuntu Pro services and variants, run 'pro status --all'
Enable services with: pro enable <service>

Account:
Subscription: Ubuntu Pro - free personal subscription
I received 23 updates:
pro security-status
2683 packages installed:
1738 packages from Ubuntu Main/Restricted repository
565 packages from Ubuntu Universe/Multiverse repository
363 packages from third parties
17 packages no longer available for download

To get more information about the packages, run
pro security-status --help
for a list of available options.

This machine is attached to an Ubuntu Pro subscription.

Main/Restricted packages are receiving security updates from
Ubuntu Pro with 'esm-infra' enabled until 2032.

Universe/Multiverse packages are receiving security updates from
Ubuntu Pro with 'esm-apps' enabled until 2032. You have received 23 security
updates.
However, mintinstall doesn't work any longer once the content of "/usr/lib/os-release" reflects Jammy instead of Virginia.
Workaround: uninstall mintinstall, install gnome-software (with flatpak or snap plugins if you use them).

My inxi report after upgrade:

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 5.15.0-91-generic arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.4.0 clocksource: tsc
    Desktop: MATE v: 1.26.0 info: mate-panel wm: marco v: 1.26.0 dm: LightDM v: 1.30.0 Distro: Linux
    Mint 21.3 Virginia base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: G74Sx v: 1.0 serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: ASUSTeK model: G74Sx v: 1.0 serial: <superuser required> BIOS: American Megatrends
    v: G74Sx.203 date: 09/23/2011
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 62.5 Wh (95.9%) condition: 65.2/61.6 Wh (105.8%) volts: 16.4 min: 14.4
    model: ASUSTek G74--52 type: Li-ion serial: N/A status: full
CPU:
  Info: quad core model: Intel Core i7-2670QM bits: 64 type: MT MCP smt: enabled arch: Sandy Bridge
    rev: 7 cache: L1: 256 KiB L2: 1024 KiB L3: 6 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 2902 high: 2999 min/max: 800/3100 cores: 1: 2941 2: 2999 3: 2905 4: 2876
    5: 2923 6: 2956 7: 2830 8: 2793 bogomips: 35120
  Flags: avx ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GF116M [GeForce GT 560M] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nvidia v: 390.157 arch: Fermi
    pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1251 class-ID: 0300
  Device-2: IMC Networks Integrated Webcam driver: uvcvideo type: USB rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s
    lanes: 1 bus-ID: 1-1.2:4 chip-ID: 13d3:5134 class-ID: 0e02
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.1 compositor: marco v: 1.26.0
    driver: X: loaded: nvidia unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa gpu: nvidia display-ID: :0
    screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1920x1080 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 508x286mm (20.00x11.26") s-diag: 583mm (22.95")
  Monitor-1: LVDS-0 res: 1920x1080 hz: 60 dpi: 128 size: 382x215mm (15.04x8.46")
    diag: 438mm (17.26") modes: N/A
  API: EGL v: 1.5 hw: drv: nvidia platforms: device: egl egl: N/A drv: N/A gbm: drv: N/A x11:
    egl: 1.4 drv: nvidia inactive: wayland
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 vendor: nvidia v: 390.157 glx-v: 1.4 direct-render: yes renderer: GeForce
    GTX 560M/PCIe/SSE2
  API: Vulkan v: 1.3.204 layers: 3 surfaces: xcb,xlib device: 0 type: cpu driver: mesa llvmpipe
    device-ID: 10005:0000
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio vendor: ASUSTeK 6
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:1c20 class-ID: 0403
  Device-2: NVIDIA GF116 High Definition Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
    pcie: speed: 5 GT/s lanes: 16 bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:0bee class-ID: 0403
  API: ALSA v: k5.15.0-91-generic status: kernel-api
  Server-1: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 status: off
  Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 status: active
Network:
  Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter vendor: AzureWave AW-NB037H 802.11bgn
    driver: ath9k v: kernel pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 168c:002b
    class-ID: 0280
  IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
    vendor: ASUSTeK U6V/U31J laptop driver: r8169 v: kernel pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: 9000
    bus-ID: 05:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168 class-ID: 0200
  IF: enp5s0 state: down mac: <filter>
  IF-ID-1: vmnet1 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
  IF-ID-2: vmnet8 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR3011 Bluetooth driver: btusb v: 0.8 type: USB rev: 1.1
    speed: 12 Mb/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 1-1.1:6 chip-ID: 0cf3:3005 class-ID: e001
  Report: hciconfig ID: hci0 rfk-id: 3 state: down bt-service: enabled,running rfk-block:
    hardware: no software: yes address: <filter>
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 284.69 GiB (30.6%)
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Crucial model: CT1000MX500SSD1 size: 931.51 GiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s
    tech: SSD serial: <filter> fw-rev: 023 scheme: MBR
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 95.56 GiB used: 14.44 GiB (15.1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
  ID-2: /home size: 804.68 GiB used: 270.25 GiB (33.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 15.26 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) priority: -2 dev: /dev/sda3
USB:
  Hub-1: 1-0:1 info: full speed or root hub ports: 6 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s lanes: 1
    chip-ID: 1d6b:0002 class-ID: 0900
  Hub-2: 1-1:2 info: Intel Integrated Rate Matching Hub ports: 6 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s
    lanes: 1 chip-ID: 8087:0024 class-ID: 0900
  Device-1: 1-1.1:6 info: Qualcomm Atheros AR3011 Bluetooth type: bluetooth driver: btusb
    interfaces: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s lanes: 1 power: 100mA chip-ID: 0cf3:3005 class-ID: e001
  Device-2: 1-1.2:4 info: IMC Networks Integrated Webcam type: video driver: uvcvideo
    interfaces: 2 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s lanes: 1 power: 500mA chip-ID: 13d3:5134 class-ID: 0e02
  Device-3: 1-1.4:5 info: Realtek RTS5139 Card Reader Controller type: <vendor specific>
    driver: rtsx_usb,rtsx_usb_ms,rtsx_usb_sdmmc interfaces: 1 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s lanes: 1
    power: 500mA chip-ID: 0bda:0139 class-ID: ff00 serial: <filter>
  Hub-3: 2-0:1 info: full speed or root hub ports: 8 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s lanes: 1
  Hub-4: 2-1:2 info: Intel Integrated Rate Matching Hub ports: 6 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s
    lanes: 1 chip-ID: 8087:0024 class-ID: 0900
  Device-1: 2-1.2:3 info: Trust GXT 101 Gaming Mouse type: mouse driver: hid-generic,usbhid
    interfaces: 1 rev: 1.1 speed: 1.5 Mb/s lanes: 1 power: 100mA chip-ID: 145f:01d9 class-ID: 0301
  Hub-5: 2-1.3:4 info: Genesys Logic Hub ports: 4 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s lanes: 1 power: 100mA
    chip-ID: 05e3:0608 class-ID: 0900
  Device-1: 2-1.3.3:5 info: Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000 type: keyboard,HID
    driver: microsoft,usbhid interfaces: 2 rev: 2.0 speed: 1.5 Mb/s lanes: 1 power: 100mA
    chip-ID: 045e:0730 class-ID: 0300
  Device-2: 2-1.3.4:6 info: Wacom CTL-470 [Bamboo Connect] type: mouse,HID driver: usbhid,wacom
    interfaces: 2 rev: 2.0 speed: 12 Mb/s lanes: 1 power: 98mA chip-ID: 056a:00dd class-ID: 0300
  Hub-6: 3-0:1 info: hi-speed hub with single TT ports: 1 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s lanes: 1
  Hub-7: 4-0:1 info: super-speed hub ports: 1 rev: 3.0 speed: 5 Gb/s lanes: 1 chip-ID: 1d6b:0003
    class-ID: 0900
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 70.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 57 C
  Fan Speeds (rpm): cpu: 2900
Repos:
  Packages: pm: dpkg pkgs: 2684
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/deki-firejail-jammy.list
    1: deb [signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/deki-firejail-jammy.gpg] https: //ppa.launchpadcontent.net/deki/firejail/ubuntu jammy main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dkosovic-cups-jammy.list
    1: deb [signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/dkosovic-cups-jammy.gpg] https: //ppa.launchpadcontent.net/dkosovic/cups/ubuntu jammy main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/inkscape_dev-stable-jammy.list
    1: deb [signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/inkscape_dev-stable-jammy.gpg] https: //ppa.launchpadcontent.net/inkscape.dev/stable/ubuntu jammy main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kubuntu-ppa-backports-jammy.list
    1: deb [signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/kubuntu-ppa-backports-jammy.gpg] https: //ppa.launchpadcontent.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu jammy main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/microsoft-edge.list
    1: deb [arch=amd64] https: //packages.microsoft.com/repos/edge/ stable main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/obsproject-obs-studio-jammy.list
    1: deb [signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/obsproject-obs-studio-jammy.gpg] https: //ppa.launchpadcontent.net/obsproject/obs-studio/ubuntu jammy main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
    1: deb http: //packages.linuxmint.com virginia main upstream import backport
    2: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy main restricted universe multiverse
    3: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
    4: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
    5: deb http: //security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jammy-security main restricted universe multiverse
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/protonvpn-stable.list
    1: deb [arch="all", signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/protonvpn-stable-archive-keyring.gpg] https: //repo.protonvpn.com/debian stable main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tor.list
    1: deb [arch=amd64 signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg] https: //deb.torproject.org/torproject.org jammy main
    2: deb-src [arch=amd64 signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg] https: //deb.torproject.org/torproject.org jammy main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu-esm-apps.list
    1: deb https: //esm.ubuntu.com/apps/ubuntu jammy-apps-security main
    2: deb https: //esm.ubuntu.com/apps/ubuntu jammy-apps-updates main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu-esm-infra.list
    1: deb https: //esm.ubuntu.com/infra/ubuntu jammy-infra-security main
    2: deb https: //esm.ubuntu.com/infra/ubuntu jammy-infra-updates main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntuhandbook1-handbrake-jammy.list
    1: deb [signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/ubuntuhandbook1-handbrake-jammy.gpg] https: //ppa.launchpadcontent.net/ubuntuhandbook1/handbrake/ubuntu jammy main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntuhandbook1-vlc-jammy.list
    1: deb [signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/ubuntuhandbook1-vlc-jammy.gpg] https: //ppa.launchpadcontent.net/ubuntuhandbook1/vlc/ubuntu jammy main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/unit193-inxi-jammy.list
    1: deb [signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/unit193-inxi-jammy.gpg] https: //ppa.launchpadcontent.net/unit193/inxi/ubuntu jammy main
Info:
  Processes: 278 Uptime: 4m wakeups: 0 Memory: total: 16 GiB available: 15.59 GiB
  used: 1.5 GiB (9.6%) Init: systemd v: 249 target: graphical (5) default: graphical Compilers:
  gcc: 11.4.0 alt: 11/12 Client: Unknown python3.10 client inxi: 3.3.31
Last edited by MikeNovember on Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Thank you for that information.
magic_missile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by magic_missile »

If I update using the option from the System Reports notifications, will everything be kept the same in my system? And by this I mean, my active panels, the applets and their preferences, program settings, the mount paths for all my HDDs, and pretty much about every other preference I changed in the system?

Cause the update tutorial from the blog says this:
If asked whether to keep or replace configuration files, choose to replace them.
So I don't know how many of my settings I'll have to redo, or how many things I will have to reinstall, if my configuration files will be replaced. I just want everything to remain the same.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

magic_missile wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:18 pm If I update using the option from the System Reports notifications, will everything be kept the same in my system? And by this I mean, my active panels, the applets and their preferences, program settings, the mount paths for all my HDDs, and pretty much about every other preference I changed in the system?

Cause the update tutorial from the blog says this:
If asked whether to keep or replace configuration files, choose to replace them.
So I don't know how many of my settings I'll have to redo, or how many things I will have to reinstall, if my configuration files will be replaced. I just want everything to remain the same.
Been a week ago now, but my Preferences remained the same.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
magic_missile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by magic_missile »

Thanks for the response. Then it means it's gonna be a painless update. Still, if more people can chime in and post their experience as well, I'd appreciate that. In the meantime, I think I'll clone my SSD beforehand just to be sure.
magic_missile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by magic_missile »

I just upgraded successfully from 21.2 to 21.3. I had no errors or anything, and didn't even get asked whether I want to replace my configuration files. Everything went well and my system, apps, and preferences, stayed the same. Thank you, Linux Mint team!
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I did the upgrade late Monday night (22 Jan) and it does seem to have a significant performance improvement over 21.2. Xfce edition here, and since this is on the old D255E any performance increase is a very welcome bonus.

I tested it out for a few days before posting here; put it through its paces so to speak.

The only issue I ran into was a full /boot partition; I had to intervene and remove some older kernels. I'd forgotten that Mint keeps older ones in the same series when you update (using Mintupdate GUI) .. and the fact that Ubuntu kernels are .. ahem .. slightly larger than Manjaro ones .. :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dullard du Jour »

I have just upgraded to Mint Virginia and I must say that I feel terribly cheated. I sat down with beer and pizza, expecting a 3 to 5 hour adventure like I did with Windows and blast it all...the upgrade to Virginia was finished in just a few minutes. :lol:
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lou77 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:36 pm I have just upgraded to Mint Virginia and I must say that I feel terribly cheated. I sat down with beer and pizza, expecting a 3 to 5 hour adventure like I did with Windows and blast it all...the upgrade to Virginia was finished in just a few minutes. :lol:
yeah,
I kind of felt that way.

threw in 4 slices of bread for the Toaster, got the butter out, slathered it up good, turned around, and the Upgrade was done :mrgreen:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”