Xfce Terminal not opening

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
asj_1959
Level 1
Level 1

Xfce Terminal not opening

Post by asj_1959 »

First time user of Linux, have installed Mint Virginia 21.3 Xfce. Terminal not opening it is just flashing and closing.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Xfce Terminal not opening

Post by xenopeek »

Did you maybe in the terminal's Edit > Preferences menu set a custom command to run instead of your shell? If that's not another, valid, shell this may happen. If this may be the case you can remove your terminal's settings from your file manager. Toggle to show hidden files from View menu or press Ctrl+H and then go into the .config/xfce4 directory and delete/move/rename the terminal directory there and then try the terminal again.

Did you maybe edit your .bashrc file? If you made a mistake in that file it can cause your shell not to launch and thus doing what you see. You can try coping the default files back to your home directory. You can find the default file in /etc/skel. Toggle to show hidden files in your file manager and then copy the .bashrc file from there to your home directory.
herbie643
Level 3
Level 3

Post by herbie643 »

Even look into the ubiquitous .xsession-errrors file
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

You may be able copy the stock/original xfce terminal launcher file from a Mint XFCE installation aka live desktop. ( when My gnome-terminal stopped working on Mint 20.3 or 21 this worked for me without having to reinstall Mint )

Boot into that live desktop

Launch two different file manager windows. One from the Live boot's desktop root directory.... and the other from the root directory of your Mint 21.3 XFCE installed storage drive. Put them side by side.

The default/installed terminal's location may differ than Cinnamon or Mate Mint desktops. in cinnamon it's located at ...

/bin/gnome-terminal

The settings involved in the xfce4-terminal are stored in/at ... if my research is correct.

.config/xfce4/terminal/terminalrc

It may be located at ... ~/.local/share/applications/xfce4-terminal.desktop
or
~/.local/share/xfce4/terminal

I'm getting some conflicting info in my searches. Perhaps someone more experienced with XFCE can either confirm I'm on point with at least one of these guesses or that I'm hitting deadend's faster than Wil E. Coyote :P
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor

Return to “Xfce”