Wayland Experimental Update Manager Not Working

Questions about the experimental Wayland support on Linux Mint Cinnamon
Forum rules
Include your system information for help with troubleshooting. Report reproducible issues related to Wayland, whether for Cinnamon, an XApp, a Mint tool or any Linux Mint maintained software on the dedicated issue tracker. Topics in this forum are automatically closed after 6 months.
MintyT
Level 1
Level 1

Wayland Experimental Update Manager Not Working

Post by MintyT »

EDIT: The Forum Rules bubble on posting this led me to the Wayland issues on Github. Listed there, known bug. Thanks for the information. Apparently, pkexec and Wayland are not on speaking terms yet.Will delete post in 24 hours.

Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon Wayland (Experimental).
Intel Core i5-13500, 16GB RAM
Cinnamon 6.0.4
Kernel 6.5.0.4 (higher kernel required, 5.15 has issues with newer hardware when I installed it 15 months ago.)

Problem:
Update Manager launches, but does not load sources or perform updates, among other functions.
View->Information shows the following:

Code: Select all

01.21@10:18 ++ Launching Update Manager
01.21@10:18 ++ Changes to the package cache detected, triggering refresh
01.21@10:18 ++ Initial refresh will happen in 0 day(s), 0 hour(s) and 10 minute(s)
01.21@10:18 ++ Inhibited power management
01.21@10:18 ++ Starting refresh (local only)
01.21@10:18 ++ System is up to date
01.21@10:18 ++ Refresh finished
01.21@10:18 ++ Resumed power management
01.21@10:19 ++ Inhibited power management
01.21@10:19 ++ Starting refresh (retrieving lists of updates from remote servers)
01.21@10:19 -- Exception occurred in the refresh thread: <class 'AttributeError'>
01.21@10:19 ++ Resumed power management
I verified that Update Manger works as intended under X11 after Wayland failure. sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade work as intended also.

Assuming this is a bug for now, anybody know of workaround?
Last edited by SMG on Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed c tags to code tags. Please use code tags for multi-line output.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Wayland Experimental Update Manager Not Working

Post by JeremyB »

You found the one work around. The Update Manager likely fails in Wayland because it depends on synaptic. Synaptic Package Manager is another program that should fail to run normally in Wayland
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MintyT wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:42 am EDIT: The Forum Rules bubble on posting this led me to the Wayland issues on Github. Listed there, known bug. Thanks for the information. Apparently, pkexec and Wayland are not on speaking terms yet.
Correct. That is stated (quoted below) in WAYLAND - read this first! which is a topic pinned to the top of this Cinnamon on Wayland forum.
SMG wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:14 pmWhile in Wayland, GUI tools which normally prompt you for a password like updates, synaptic, mintsources, or pkexec can not yet be done.
It's my understanding you should be able to run commands with sudo in the terminal without a problem. The issue is with GUI apps.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

This was the same thing I saw when I tested 21.3 in a VM. The update manager GUI just didn't work but I could do everything in terminal just fine.I haven't looked yet, I run LMDE6, is the Wayland available on login as well on this one? I am running the 6.x Cinnamon now. There were some other bugs I saw, don't remember what now, but I sure did remember the update manager GUI being DOA lol
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

RamBurner wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:37 pm... I run LMDE6, is the Wayland available on login as well on this one? I am running the 6.x Cinnamon now...
If you are running Cinnamon 6.0 on LMDE 6 then, yes, Wayland is available.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Cinnamon on Wayland”