lightdm not starting after kernel upgrade

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
krhagene
Level 1
Level 1

lightdm not starting after kernel upgrade

Post by krhagene »

Hi, I'm on kernel 6.1.0-17-amd64 with Nvidia's drivers from their website (545).

And I wanted to try a newer kernel, so I made a restore point with timeshift.
And did these commands:
apt search linux-image-6

sudo apt install linux-image-6.5.0-0.deb12.4-amd64

reboot

Then once it was rebooted I got an error that lightdm won't start.

I was able to use the restore point to get back up and running, but is there a way to get on a newer kernel?

I also think something is up with my lightdm, cause it happend before, but then I was able to install some missing librarys and run the nvidia driver again, and it worked. But if I try to start the "login window" app, it asks for my password, then nothing. I also chose to have my PC start without a password when I ran through the OS installer, but now it asks me to type in both username and password still.
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: lightdm not starting after kernel upgrade

Post by jwiz »

Did you check whether the installed proprietary nvidia driver supports the linux kernel 6.5?
Otw you may need to install the 6.5 kernel headers and the nvidia-kernel-dkms module to have it built on boot.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Krhagene why did you have to download and install nvidia driver from nvidia site?
This is not the way to install the proprietary nvidia driver in a debian-based system. Of course the driver could not load upon installing the newer kernel. And there are no dkms modules for this driver. It is not compatible with debian kernels. It is 525.x on Debian, that's all, you cannot help it.
krhagene
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krhagene »

MiZoG wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:39 am Krhagene why did you have to download and install nvidia driver from nvidia site?
This is not the way to install the proprietary nvidia driver in a debian-based system. Of course the driver could not load upon installing the newer kernel. And there are no dkms modules for this driver. It is not compatible with debian kernels. It is 525.x on Debian, that's all, you cannot help it.
That's right I did install the driver by directly downloading from Nvidia's site yes. So if I want to be on a later driver than 525 I need to reinstall Nvidia drivers for every kernel update?
krhagene
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krhagene »

I tried
nvidia-installer --uninstall
to remove the drivers I'd added myself

Then rebooted and did the command:
apt install nvidia-driver firmware-misc-nonfree

as instructed in on the wiki. That worked fine.

Then I tried updating the kernel again, and at least I got into the desktop this time, but it's like the driver isn't loaded. So I guess this kernel isn't supported as mentioned above.

Trying to get the 545 driver working again now.
krhagene
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krhagene »

So I'm on the new kernel now with the same drivers as I started with.
Had to run the command also to use the .run file again from Nvidia:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Not sure if it's better than before but at least I can test the new kernel.
Note to self that I need to reinstall the drivers for every new kernel version...

Any ideas on how I can get the login so I don't need to write the username every time at least when I start?
krhagene
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krhagene »

And there was a 550 driver added today, so had to reinstall the driver again :)
krhagene
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krhagene »

I got the autologin fixed also with some googling

Return to “Beginner Questions”