Move Home Folder to another partition [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kakashi_12
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Move Home Folder to another partition [SOLVED]

Post by kakashi_12 »

For review (as requested above)...

select "do something else"

size = 100
type = Primary
location = beginning?
use as = EFI

size = 35,000
type = Primary
location = beginning?
use as = ext4
mount point = /

size = (remaining amount)
type = Logical
location = beginning?
use as = ext4
mount point = /home ?

select whole disk > continue
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

If you create shortcuts in /home to replace the original folders in /home, programs that expect to find those folders in /home will still find the ones that you duplicated as though they are still in /home. Then you don't have to manually move the data saved in the /home folders to the duplicate folders since those programs will see the shortcuts as the duplicated folders
Lady Fitzgerald, .... So Let me ensure I understand what you mean..

Are you saying that if you create shortcuts ( as in " symbolic links" ?? aka " right click on the item and ** make link ** once you enable that context menu selection ..for example in Nemo ) and put those shorcuts aka " links " in another partition ( perhaps the same partition one wants to move /home to )) that you can proceed to the process of moving /home to another partition and then delete the original /home partition including all of its contents...and everything just works?

Please correct me if I'm mistaken about a piece of that question.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

motoryzen wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:27 pm
If you create shortcuts in /home to replace the original folders in /home, programs that expect to find those folders in /home will still find the ones that you duplicated as though they are still in /home. Then you don't have to manually move the data saved in the /home folders to the duplicate folders since those programs will see the shortcuts as the duplicated folders
Lady Fitzgerald, .... So Let me ensure I understand what you mean..

Are you saying that if you create shortcuts ( as in " symbolic links" ?? aka " right click on the item and ** make link ** once you enable that context menu selection ..for example in Nemo ) and put those shorcuts aka " links " in another partition ( perhaps the same partition one wants to move /home to )) that you can proceed to the process of moving /home to another partition and then delete the original /home partition including all of its contents...and everything just works?

Please correct me if I'm mistaken about a piece of that question.
No. After moving the data folders in /home to another partition or drive, and before shutting down and restarting the computer, you need to create the symlinks (aka symbolic links or shortcuts) in the folders you just relocated, then move those symlinks into /home. This serves two purposes.

1. It prevents Mint from recreating the Data folders in /home the next time you boot up. The symlinks appear to the system as the original folders so the system won't feel a need to recreate them.

2. If a program or user tries to write data to /home, the symlink will open the relocated folder the symlink points to and write to it. That serves as a safety feature to keep data from getting split between folders.

An alternate way to create symlinks is to open the folder you want to link to on one side of your display and open /home on the other side. Highlight the folder you want a symlink for, then, while holding down the SHIFT and CTRL keys, left click on the folder and drag it to /home. Instead of dragging the actual folder, the folder will stay put and the symlink will appear in /home.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!

Return to “Storage”