sda (root) too small

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rockas
Level 1
Level 1

sda (root) too small

Post by Rockas »

I know , wine isn't an emulator but where else ? :)

How to instruct playonlinux (POL) to use a hard disk other than the boot hard disk for a program.
The problem in my particular case:
I want to install Elder Scrolls Online (ESO) as an exercise. The ESO download is just an installer that downloads all the necessary data itself. This is only the first problem.
ESO easily needs 60-70 GB of space and almost double that during installation. On my sda (boot) I only have a little more than 80GB free.
After the installation ESO works with a launcher which might be a problem again, but one thing at a time.
So I freed up a partition on a hard disk and formatted it to ext4. Here 240 GB are free.
How can I now install ESO and preferably POl on this partition and thus avoid the space problem?
This is a general problem that I have with Linux...I can't determine where Linux installs anything and is perhaps also interesting for other people switching to Linux as it is always irritating. It throws away the whole idea of order that you know from Windows ;
deleted without compensation. What is the spirit beyond that I don't understand?
In this context, I am also happy to receive recommendations for dealing with POL, its variations and wine :) .
The PC used is a small one with an AMD CPU (AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+) and an AMD graphics unit (rx580/8gb) (more than the minimum requirements ) and fresh Linux Mint of the current version ( kernel: 5.15.0-91-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.4.0 desktop: Cinnamon 6.0.4 tk: GTK 3.24.33 wm: muffin vt: 7 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 Distro: Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy).
(I know that the most of u love such informations although often not necessary :) )
It is not important whether ESO runs smoothly with this hardware in the end, but the way there is the goal.
Thanks for help and have a nice day.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Re: sda (root) too small

Post by rickNS »

I have never used wine or POL, but it seems easy enough to do what you want, basically move your playonlinx folder to another drive (or partition), and create a link back to it's original location.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/896556/ ... layonlinux
Rockas wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:51 pm I can't determine where Linux installs anything
To find where a program is just type in terminal whereis <name-of-program>
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Rockas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rockas »

Oh, thanks for the quick reply.
I will try that out ..it is one way.
And there is no way to install POL directly on this partition?
The good thing about going this way is that POL then also brings ESO to this partition and I don't have to go this way again with ESO...practical :)
Rockas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rockas »

ok . I've install it now...no possibilities for me to place the installation according to my will as expected .
It seems pol is installed in 3 different folders (whereis said):
playonlinux: /usr/bin/playonlinux /usr/share/playonlinux /usr/share/man/man1/playonlinux.1.gz
It is the flatpak version. Ithink I will try the other 'system'-version.
So I will deinstall the flatpak...maybe install before wine. Let's see how that looks.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Rockas wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:10 pm
And there is no way to install POL directly on this partition?
Basically no, (there may be a way I am not aware of ?)

Programs get installed where they "should be".
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Rockas wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:20 pm
So I will deinstall the flatpak...maybe install before wine. Let's see how that looks.
DO NOT be in such a hurry, I do not think you have the flatpak version, or it would not be where it is.
Rockas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rockas »

uh, unfortunately read too late :)
but i found an easy way...one for windows-impaired people.
Mint's default file manager is Nemo...it's better than I thought. It made wonderful shortcuts and this is the way.
After installing Wine and POL you have to open Pol once. POL creates the folder 'playonlinux's virtual Drive' in the directory of the Linux disk /home/ 'username'. Close POL !!! I have copied this folder and placed it where I want to store the data masses of ESO (approx. 120GB) or any other, simply with copy and paste. Marked it in the file manager with a right click and selected 'Create shortcut'.
I then cut these out and placed them again in the /home/'username folder after deleting the original folder there (in a Nemo with advanced rights). The whole thing took a few seconds without a terminal. ...and 3 h research :) or more?? anyway
All these explanations about 'ln' are always with terminal and really hard to understand because it never says where you are exactly, and almost always related to files and not whole folders. Now I know it is the same way but do u know that before?
Anyway, I have now installed the Elder Scrolls Online launcher but it gives me an error message when I try to download the game. A new chapter but not for today.
Thank you very much 'ln' was the right hint in any case.
danielbryant3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danielbryant3 »

If the root partition (sda) on your system is too small, you can resize it using partition management tools such as GParted. Backup important data, boot from a live CD/USB, open GParted, and resize the root partition to allocate more space. Be cautious and ensure you have a backup before making any changes.

Return to “Virtual Machines”