[Solved] problem with system clock, just after 21.3 upgrade.

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
revrob
Level 3
Level 3

Re: problem with system clock, just after 21.3 upgrade.

Post by revrob »

I am actively investigating motherboard/CPU/PSU replacement.

Meanwhile, I have shorted the CMOS settings using the jumper which set the hardware clock back to 2011 as expected, and I have reset everything to the BIOS settings suggested.
I have also checked hardware connections inside the system box, and all cables, to make sure they are firmly in place.

Reboot went fine, and I have seen a variety of behaviours since on waking from suspend, including panel clock self correcting within minutes, not self correcting at all, and suspend causing various clock future times/dates, and sometimes NOT causing them.

I have a detailed log. I have prevented any further automatic backups, but I can't prevent the automatic timeshift snapshots - I'm deleting any that have the incorrect timestamp.

I shan't post again unless something dramatic happens, or I have completed the hardware upgrade.

Thanks for the help.
RevRob - Linux learner
T_2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by T_2 »

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but I accidentally discovered a bug in the Linux Mint Mate upgrade to 21.3 installer related to this.

One of my machines I updated a few weeks ago could not connect to the internet. Something about system clock not correct. I checked a sure enough instead of a March 2024 date it showed Nov 21 2023. I corrected the date and then access to the internet was restored.

Further investigation showed that the update removed the ntp service but did not install the timesyncd service. I have now confirmed this on two other upgrades. Once I installed the timesyncd service the clock stays up to date. So far the first one was a laptop and the other 2 are newer desktops. I suspect I will find this to be true for the rest of the desktops I am responsible for. The two newer machines were only off by 20 to 30 seconds so I would have not noticed the problem on them for a while.
The laptop was actually a 2013 Chromebook converted to Linux Mint a while back when they stopped updating it. I suspect the user ran the battery down and the machine powered off. After recharging the clock was really off.
revrob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by revrob »

T_2 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:27 pm I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but I accidentally discovered a bug in the Linux Mint Mate upgrade to 21.3 installer related to this.

One of my machines I updated a few weeks ago could not connect to the internet. Something about system clock not correct. I checked a sure enough instead of a March 2024 date it showed Nov 21 2023. I corrected the date and then access to the internet was restored.

Further investigation showed that the update removed the ntp service but did not install the timesyncd service. I have now confirmed this on two other upgrades. Once I installed the timesyncd service the clock stays up to date. So far the first one was a laptop and the other 2 are newer desktops. I suspect I will find this to be true for the rest of the desktops I am responsible for. The two newer machines were only off by 20 to 30 seconds so I would have not noticed the problem on them for a while.
The laptop was actually a 2013 Chromebook converted to Linux Mint a while back when they stopped updating it. I suspect the user ran the battery down and the machine powered off. After recharging the clock was really off.
Thx for this. It sounds a bit different to my "68hr fast clock after suspend" problem, which doesn't always occur now.. I'm too much of a newbie to know whether timesyncd service is working, but I can confirm that MOST of the time (not all) the panel clock corrects itself on wake up once connected to Internet. The PC is a desktop and I noticed the problem after updating to 21.3 using update manager. My dell inspiron laptop is unaffected.
RevRob - Linux learner
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

T_2 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:27 pm I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but I accidentally discovered a bug in the Linux Mint Mate upgrade to 21.3 installer related to this.
This is a user forum where users help others users. It is not a place to report bugs.

If you feel the issue you have experienced is related to the mintupgrade process, then post your issue on linuxmint / mintupgrade: Issues and provide as much detail as you can.

This topic is specific to revrob's issue which is not the one you have described.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
revrob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by revrob »

Since upgrading my motherboard, CPU, Memory and Power Supply Unit, this problem appears to have gone away.
RevRob - Linux learner
cyttorak
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cyttorak »

This is exactly what happens to me.

After install systemd-timesyncd problem was solved.

Thanks.

Return to “Other topics”