Eureka!!! I found my calendar event displayer!

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Eureka!!! I found my calendar event displayer!

Post by Logansfury »

This is so cool.

I have a conky widget displaying a 3-month (previous, current, next) compact calendar, and now below it, I have a bright white HUD with my google calendar events by using a desklet from the Cinnamon spices store: Gcalendar!

It's working awesome and already is displaying my test events. I just wish it could be customized with font and resized but other than that it's exactly what I wanted!

Image <-- Cick for sudo inxi --usb -Fxxxnmprz output, updated hourly!
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Eureka!!! I found my calendar event displayer!

Post by TaterChip »

Logansfury wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:35 am This is so cool.

I have a conky widget displaying a 3-month (previous, current, next) compact calendar, and now below it, I have a bright white HUD with my google calendar events by using a desklet from the Cinnamon spices store: Gcalendar!

It's working awesome and already is displaying my test events. I just wish it could be customized with font and resized but other than that it's exactly what I wanted!
relative rookie here... where is the Cinnamon spices store. does the thingie connect to KOrganizer?
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

Hello Tater!

I accessed gcalendar by opening the menu from the super button and typing "Desklet" into the search field. This brings up the Desklets GUI. It takes a moment to load the 50 or so available choices but once done, gcalendar should be the top choice if you are displaying "by Popularity" in the downloads tab. After you download it, switch to the Manage tab to enable it and access the config window.

Instructions for the necessary installs and dependencies came from the Cinnamon Spices website:

https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/desklets/view/35

Enjoy!
Koentje
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Koentje »

Logansfury wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:35 am ...I just wish it could be customized with font and resized but other than that it's exactly what I wanted!
You could snoop around in the code to find the font that's used... ~/.config/share/cinnamon/desklets/
There should be a folder called gcalendar or something, and in it a desklet.js, or a settings-schema.json or a stylesheet.css.
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

Koentje wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:40 pm You could snoop around in the code to find the font that's used... ~/.config/share/cinnamon/desklets/
There should be a folder called gcalendar or something, and in it a desklet.js, or a settings-schema.json or a stylesheet.css.
Gnarley! I dont mind poking about. I'll make a copy of the relevant files to keep a backup of their original working state before I start editing values.

Awesome suggestion, Thank you :D
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

Koentje wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:40 pm You could snoop around in the code to find the font that's used... ~/.config/share/cinnamon/desklets/
My directory tree was a bit different. I had no share subdir under .config, but cinnamon subdir was there, and spices under that, then I found a googleCalendar@javahelps.com dir. In this was only one file, named 1.json. I opened it with a text editor and the word font doesnt exist in it. It seems to just be the information for the configuration window, not the desklet display itself.

Where on earth is this desklet hiding it's configuration info?
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

I found a gcalendar directory under .config, but it only contains one file called default_v1.dat and contains my google ID's and secret codes. Nothing about font in this either.
Koentje
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Koentje »

Logansfury wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:08 pm My directory tree was a bit different. I had no share subdir under .config....
My bad! I meant ~/.local/share/cinnamon/desklets/....
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

Koentje wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:30 pm My bad! I meant ~/.local/share/cinnamon/desklets/....[/c}
[/quote]

Disco! That's a good path. I am in the googleCalendar@javahelps.com directory under desklets and it has a .js, a .css and 2 .json files.

I'll see about hunting down font info!
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

I found only one file naming a font. It was set to Noto Sans Regular and I changed it to my custom Neon 80s but the change never showed on the calendar display
Koentje
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Koentje »

Logansfury wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:50 pm I found only one file naming a font. It was set to Noto Sans Regular and I changed it to my custom Neon 80s but the change never showed on the calendar display
Can you attach the font? You probably have to name it different...
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

Koentje wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:25 pm Can you attach the font? You probably have to name it different...
I got it as neon_80s.zip from https://www.dafont.com/neon-80s.font

As it turns out I did NOT have the Neon.ttf in my .fonts directory, yet my calendar, my Mizar clock, my Minamalis all are showing the font perfectly and in all cases referring to the font as Neon 80s in the config files has made it work.
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

Success!! :D

I put the Neon.ttf into .fonts, and just to be safe, copied it, pasted it and renamed it Neon 80s.ttf to cover all my bases, then I rebooted the Machine and my gcalendar is displaying in Neon 80s font just fine :)
Koentje
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Koentje »

It's postscript name is Neon80s

Schermafdruk van 2024-01-28 02-48-24.jpg
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

Koentje wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:49 pm It's postscript name is Neon80s
That's interesting because all over my conky widgets I have been referring to it as "Neon 80s" with a space and it's displayed like a champ every time.
Koentje
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Koentje »

I know, but the gcalendar is not a conky.. and not all programs are calling a font the same way!
I had a lot of troubles to get Terminus font going on in some code..
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

Koentje wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:57 pm I know, but the gcalendar is not a conky.. and not all programs are calling a font the same way!
I had a lot of troubles to get Terminus font going on in some code..
I'll keep that in mind. ATM the universe has had pity upon me and the way I have configured actually works, so I'm going with the "aint broke, don't fix it" mentality and just leaving the system the crap alone :)
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

I went into the .sh files for the current/next/previous calendars and switched the display from red days of the month with current day white to white days of the month with current day displaying in red. It's now much more readable. I also gently tweaked the conky.conf to line all 3 calendars up precisely on screen. I'm very happy with this and believe I'm done building my desktop

Koentje
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Koentje »

I thought you only wanted one month?
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

Koentje wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:39 pm I thought you only wanted one month?
Originally, yes I was chasing a single month calendar. I tried running this one without the previous and next but the current failed to appear. And the few single month calendars I did get my hand on all had boarders/backgrounds I couldn't disable. The way the google events display takes up real-estate I think the desktop actually benefits from the width of the 3 month cal.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”