New glibc vulnerability- is mint affected?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sylvain1_
Level 2
Level 2

New glibc vulnerability- is mint affected?

Post by sylvain1_ »

New linux glibc flaw lets attackers get root on major distros.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... r-distros/

Has mint been patched for this vulnerability? If so, how do I check to make sure that my version of glibc is not vulnerable?

According to https://www.qualys.com/2024/01/30/cve-2 ... syslog.txt, this vulnerability had been discovered and an advisory sent to Red Hat as early as 2023-11-07. The glibc developers only sent a final version of their patch on 2024-01-15. Why did it take so long to patch such a serious vulnerability?

And why are they communicating through an insecure communication method like email? There is no indication that they are all emailing with end-to-end PGP encryption, and even if they are, the subject lines would still be unencrypted. People like this are no doubt under surveillance by the NSA / GCHQ, who are very interested in learning and stockpiling and deploying zero-day vulnerabilities (rather than disclosing and fixing them) in order to hack people and infringe on our right to privacy. See https://youtu.be/U_7CGl6VWaQ

It is possible that these agencies knew of the vulnerability in 2022, when it was introduced, or that they managed to introduce it themselves. But if they did not know, and if the communication channel between all these people over email was in the least bit insecure, then the NSA knew of the vulnerability for at least 2 months before it was patched. This gave them a zero-day vulnerability that they could use against all of us. In a way, it would have been better if the vulnerability was released publicly in November instead of being secretly disclosed in November. In that case,

1. There would be more urgency to fix it in a timely manner.
2. Everyone, including nation-states, would have access to the vulnerability, which would at least ensure that there is a sort of balance of power between them, keeping each other in check. By contrast, if only the NSA knew about the vulnerability, they could exploit it without limit before the vulnerability was publicly disclosed, over 2 months of time to attack any of us that they wanted to attack.

For more information, pick up Permanent Record by Edward Snowden at your local bookstore or library.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: New glibc vulnerability- is mint affected?

Post by Pjotr »

High-profile stuff like that, with a lot of publicity surrounding it, usually gets fixed pretty quickly by the Ubuntu Security Team. That's been my experience over the last two decades.

Linux security issues, big ones and small ones, are being discovered on an almost daily basis. Nothing is 100 % safe, and that will never change. Life on this planet is a risky affair. C'est la vie. :wink:

No need for alarm, as long as we don't have to wait too long for the redeeming fixes for the truly dangerous issues. So for the time being:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Mint should have gotten the update by now, glibc in my Debian 12 system was updated yesterday.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Hoser Rob wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:50 pm Mint should have gotten the update by now, glibc in my Debian 12 system was updated yesterday.
I'm smelling an upcoming cherry-pick. :lol:
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Regular "breaking news" on the Forum from bleepingcomputer and similar sources already became quite boring.
I understand that each 'local attacker' vulnerability adds significance to the person having said local attacker. Regretfully I never managed to obtain my own Local Attacker despite how hard I'd try.

Please note that this vulnerability has nothing to do with Linux Mint - it was introduced in glibc later and focal and jammy are not vulnerable.
-=t42=-
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, sylvain1_. Hello, folks.

I will restrict my reply to the relevant questions asked in the initial post.
sylvain1_ wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:06 pm New linux glibc flaw lets attackers get root on major distros.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... r-distros/
Has mint been patched for this vulnerability? If so, how do I check to make sure that my version of glibc is not vulnerable?
The Bleeping Computer article makes clear that the security flaw, CVE-2023-6246, has been introduced into glibc 2.37 and it has been backported to glibc 2.36. So here we have the scope of affected glibc versions: 2.36 and 2.37.
  • Short answer to find out whether the installed glibc is vulnerable:
    Source: https://www.xmodulo.com/check-glibc-version-linux.html
    Users of all Linux Mint versions can check which glibc version their systems use by executing the terminal command

Code: Select all

ldd --version
    The output will look like this:

$ ldd --version
    ldd (Debian GLIBC 2.31-13+deb11u7) 2.31
    Copyright (C) 2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    [...]
    The found glibc version here is 2.31, i.e. not vulnerable. (Debian 11 based)
    Remember: any glibc below 2.36 should not be vulnerable.
  • Detailled answer:

Let us check what the Ubuntu Security page lists as affected Ubuntu versions.
    As we all know, the Linux Mint main edition is based on Ubuntu. (LM 20.x - Ubuntu 20.4, LM 21.x - Ubuntu 22.04)
    In order to get the overview table we use the search function on the CVE tab and search for CVE-2023-6246.
    The results can be inspected by following this link: CVE search results CVE-2024-6246
    Scroll down till you spot the list of Ubuntu versions and their vulnerability statuses.
    For all Ubuntu versions, including 20.04 and 22.04, the status is "Not vulnerable".
    Currently only Ubuntu 23.10 is affected and needs glibc patching.

This means that no Linux Mint release, 20x and 21.x, is affected. So there is no need to be worried.

Users of LMDE 5 and 6 will have to check which Debian releases bring along which glibc version in order to find out whether their LMDE might be affected.

Users of all Linux Mint versions can check which glibc version their systems use by executing the terminal command

ldd --version
    The output will look like this:

$ ldd --version
    ldd (Debian GLIBC 2.31-13+deb11u7) 2.31
    Copyright (C) 2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
    warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
    Written by Roland McGrath and Ulrich Drepper.
    The found glibc version here is 2.31, i.e. not vulnerable. (Debian 11 based)
    Remember: any glibc below 2.36 should not be vulnerable.
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Good to hear. Needless alarmism; much ado about nothing. 8)
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

CVE-2023-6246 is more than nothing.
But no Linux Mint release, which is based on Ubuntu, is affected by it.
LMDE 5 is not affected by default (glibc 2.31)
I cannot check LMDE 6 myself, because I do not use it.
ldd --version will reveal whether glibc 2.36 or 2.37 is used on a system.

What can a user do, if ldd --version displays version 2.36 or 2.37?

In this case, you should launch Synaptic package manager and locate the software package libc6. Then check the changelog of the software package.
In case it mentions the CVE-2023-6246, then your glibc is an already bugfixed version.
In case it does not mention the CVE-2023-6246, chances are that you have got one of the still vulnerable glibc versions. In this case, before doing anything drastic and hence disruptive, open a new forum thread and ask.
(Do not forget to share your LM System Information and the complete output, displayed by ldd --version.)
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

I just received an update for glibc on lmde6 (2.36-9deb12u3 -> 2.36-9deb12u4).
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

LMDE6 is affected but already patched :D

glibc (2.36-9+deb12u4) bookworm-security; urgency=medium

* debian/patches/any/local-CVE-2023-6246.patch: Fix a heap buffer overflow
    in __vsyslog_internal (CVE-2023-6246).
  * debian/patches/any/local-CVE-2023-6779.patch: Fix an off-by-one heap
    buffer overflow in __vsyslog_internal (CVE-2023-6779).
  * debian/patches/any/local-CVE-2023-6780.patch: Fix an integer overflow in
    __vsyslog_internal (CVE-2023-6780).
  * debian/patches/any/local-qsort-memory-corruption.patch: Fix a memory
    corruption in qsort() when using nontransitive comparison functions.

-- Aurelien Jarno <aurel32@debian.org>  Tue, 23 Jan 2024 21:57:06 +0100
Last edited by karlchen on Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added [code] [/code] tags in order to preserve proper output formatting like in the terminal window
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dullard du Jour »

I am on 2.35, I take it I will stay on 2.35 unless I jump a major release. Is that correct?
sylvain1_
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sylvain1_ »

Thank you, this is very good.

Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon.

~$ ldd --version
ldd (Ubuntu GLIBC 2.35-0ubuntu3.6) 2.35
Copyright (C) 2022 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Written by Roland McGrath and Ulrich Drepper.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Lou77 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:26 amI am on 2.35, I take it I will stay on 2.35 unless I jump a major release. Is that correct?
Right.
Linux Mint 22, which will be based on Ubuntu 24.04, will ship with a higher glibc version, the version, which Ubuntu 22.04 will bring along.
At the moment, however, there is no higher major Mint release than LM 21.x.
Lifeline
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Still don't understand why so much excitement for another buffer overflow vulnerability which requires local access. Indeed exploit would be successful if performed by competent enough person having access to your keyboard but the same person may perform so many other harmful things as well... I have one Debian 12 not updated system and indeed there is a segmentation fault:

$ ldd --version
ldd (Debian GLIBC 2.36-9+deb12u3) 2.36
$ (exec -a "`printf '%0128000x' 1`" /usr/bin/su < /dev/null)
Password: Segmentation fault
But the point is the exploit can't be triggered remotely as it requires argv[0], the pointer to the array containing the name of the program which is being run from the command line.
-=t42=-
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

t42 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:44 am Still don't understand why so much excitement for another buffer overflow vulnerability which requires local access. Indeed exploit would be successful if performed by competent enough person having access to your keyboard but the same person may perform so many other harmful things as well...
Well said. Local access vulnerabilities, as opposed to the truly dangerous remote access vulnerabilities, are usually not worth making a fuss about. But news media need to stir up hysteria; it's part of their business model....

Of course local access vulnerabilities need to be patched as well (blah blah blah), but they're rather trivial by nature. Because for exploiting them, a criminal needs to have physical access to the computer he wishes to hack. Hands-on, literally. Now, how big is the risk that such a criminal literally puts his hands on (the keyboard of) your machine?

Much ado about nothing very little. :wink:
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

Local access vulnerabilities, as opposed to the truly dangerous remote access vulnerabilities, are usually not worth making a fuss about.
Well there is always the risk that the local vulnerability will be used in combination with a (unknown) remote access vulnerability.
sylvain1_
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sylvain1_ »

vimes666 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:26 am
Local access vulnerabilities, as opposed to the truly dangerous remote access vulnerabilities, are usually not worth making a fuss about.
Well there is always the risk that the local vulnerability will be used in combination with a (unknown) remote access vulnerability.
+1

Also, as my original post talks about, lone cybercriminals who are on the other side of the world are not the only threats to deal with. Your government could also go to your house and tamper with your computer, while knowing your exact location at all times due to you carrying a cell phone. Your government may or may not require a warrant, but even if they do require a warrant, these agencies never get any serious consequences when they break the law and can even hide that they are breaking the law from legislators.

But also, even if you are not targeted, a 2 month time period between disclosure and patch is more than enough time for nation-states to use the vulnerability against corporations and other nation-states. Stuxnet was not a remote access vulnerability, for example. There is also the "evil maid attack" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_maid_attack. For example, we know that the Chinese do this to important Americans who visit China if they get the opportunity to do so, allowing them to steal intellectual property at the very least https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikh3ncJZPTU.

i am glad that Linux Mint 21.3 is safe and that LDME 6 is safe NOW. Being able to escalate to root privileges is very serious, like making an attacker a GOD over your linux machine. Linux may be more private than Windows and Apple, and Linux may be more secure than them (at least if you consider Windows and MacOS themselves to be malware), but it is perhaps not as secure as it appears to be. Here are a few posts about the deficiencies of the linux security model.

https://madaidans-insecurities.github.io/linux.html

https://madaidans-insecurities.github.i ... ening.html

https://madaidans-insecurities.github.i ... hones.html
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

sylvain1_ wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:55 pm Your government could also go to your house and tamper with your computer, while knowing your exact location at all times due to you carrying a cell phone. Your government may or may not require a warrant, but even if they do require a warrant, these agencies never get any serious consequences when they break the law and can even hide that they are breaking the law from legislators.
Can this topic be moved from Chat about Linux Mint forum to the Propaganda forum?
-=t42=-
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dullard du Jour »

t42 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:47 pm
sylvain1_ wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:55 pm Your government could also go to your house and tamper with your computer, while knowing your exact location at all times due to you carrying a cell phone. Your government may or may not require a warrant, but even if they do require a warrant, these agencies never get any serious consequences when they break the law and can even hide that they are breaking the law from legislators.
Can this topic be moved from Chat about Linux Mint forum to the Propaganda forum?
Sounds like a good idea. He seems to be on a drive to save the internet world by 'fixing' Mozilla and Mint. It has gotten old.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

sylvain1_ wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:06 pm New linux glibc flaw lets attackers get root on major distros.

You have the CVE numbers so you could have answered this yourself without the need for a topic. If you don't know your package base you can find it in System Reports > System Information (the package base is under 'System', the first section).

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”