Beginner Distros

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
changintimes
Level 2
Level 2

Beginner Distros

Post by changintimes »

I want to dual boot my laptop with two different Linux distros that are good for a Linux Beginner.

In one partition I have LM Virginia installed.

What are your suggestions for distros for a Linux beginner?
Last edited by SMG on Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed Disros to Distros in the title.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon Virginia. Lenovo Thinkpad Dual Core Processor. 256 GiB SSD. 8 GiB RAM. Legacy BIOS.
sylvain1_
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Beginner Disros

Post by sylvain1_ »

trisquel linux, but only if you are happy without having wi-fi internet.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

There are only two Linux distros I recommend to beginners. You're using one of them. The other is Mint's code base, Ubuntu. It's all about the support forums. No need to switch :wink: .

And you don't need to install 2 distros. Myself, I think that's a waste of drive space. They're all very similar under the hood, and you're already using the distro with the best forum for newbies to get their questions answered on. That's everything for beginners.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

sylvain1_ wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:25 pm trisquel linux, but only if you are happy without having wi-fi internet.
That's a joke right? Because I can think of few things more ridiculous than recommending a Linux distro that doesn't come with any nonfree firmware to a total newbie. Which is why you'd have no wifi OOTB I figure. Even Debian ships live boot isos with nonfree firmware now.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
changintimes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by changintimes »

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:29 pm It's all about the support forums. No need to switch :wink: .
I was already feeling this. so it's good to hear it. I will probably follow your advice exactly. thanks 😊
Last edited by changintimes on Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon Virginia. Lenovo Thinkpad Dual Core Processor. 256 GiB SSD. 8 GiB RAM. Legacy BIOS.
sylvain1_
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sylvain1_ »

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:34 pm
sylvain1_ wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:25 pm trisquel linux, but only if you are happy without having wi-fi internet.
That's a joke right? Because I can think of few things more ridiculous than recommending a Linux distro that doesn't come with any nonfree firmware to a total newbie. Which is why you'd have no wifi OOTB I figure. Even Debian ships live boot isos with nonfree firmware now.
if i was joking, i would recommend gentoo or arch.

https://youtu.be/S8s9uzPIqQ4
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Beginner Distros

Post by spamegg »

I think that there is no "beginner distro" but there are "good distros" (I think Mint is one of them) and... well, other distros. :lol:
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

spamegg wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:35 am I think that there is no "beginner distro" but there are "good distros" (I think Mint is one of them) and... well, other distros. :lol:
Ever looked at the Distrowatch list of distros? It's HUGE, over 200 of them (and that's not even all of the existing distros). At least 190 of the ones on that list will never grace my hard drive.

Actually I think Gentoo is probably a good distro. I'll never install it but it's very popular with engineers and that's good enough for me. But for beginners? I don't think it even has a GUI for updating your software.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:20 pm Ever looked at the Distrowatch list of distros? It's HUGE, over 200 of them (and that's not even all of the existing distros). At least 190 of the ones on that list will never grace my hard drive.
Yeah I have. Some of the top entries are not "good" distros in my opinion.
Actually I think Gentoo is probably a good distro. I'll never install it but it's very popular with engineers and that's good enough for me. But for beginners? I don't think it even has a GUI for updating your software.
Good point! I didn't think broadly enough about "all the distros out there" :lol:

What I meant to say was, there are some distros that are known (for whatever reason) as "beginner" distros, but they are not "good" (in my opinion), so beginners should be cautious.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

spamegg wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:30 am [... there are some distros that are known (for whatever reason) as "beginner" distros, but they are not "good" (in my opinion), so beginners should be cautious.
Oh yeah, they exist. I always figure when in doubt look at the support forum. Which is why I always suggest Mint or Ubuntu to beginners.

Return to “Chat about Linux”