Installing LMDE 5 on an existing Multi-Partition System

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Len E
Level 1
Level 1

Installing LMDE 5 on an existing Multi-Partition System

Post by Len E »

I’ve used Ubuntu-based Mint distros for years on my old BIOS-based PC’s among other
co-resident distributions. With Ubuntu, with release 22.04, now making BIOS-based
operation impractical, I’m looking to LMDE as a Mint alternative.

I’m concerned that because LMDE only comes with the Cinnamon desktop environment,
that it would be “too heavy” for my low-powered equipment.

Also, the LMDE 5 release notes warn that LMDE 5 won’t install properly on multi-boot
platforms.

I believe I’ve found an answer to the dilemma.
In the Linux Mint Deutsch repositories on Source Forge, there are some unofficial lxde-based
versions of LMDE.
I downloaded inoffizielles-lmde-5-lxde-32bit-de-20220403-1849.iso and burned it to a DVD.
On initial boot-up of the DVD, given my minuscule command of the German language, I
guessed that the first command in the list presented was the appropriate one, and it did start
up the live-cd process.
I wanted to enable the English language at the first opportunity, and the default keyboard
presented a problem: the / character was not in the usual place. After some trial-and-error,
I found that the / character was actually where the & is, as an upper-case 7 .

I was then able to cd /etc/default, sudo mousepad locale, and change the setting from
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 to LANG=en_CA.UTF-8 .
Given that the Mint live-installer was/is not a suitable choice, from synaptic, I installed
calamares and calamares-settings-debian, a total of 135 packages. Not understanding the
menu structure at all well at this point, I went to “all applications”, and found both
mint install and debian install. I selected debian install and to my delight, the
calmares installer appeared in English ! The partition selection (root, /boot, swap) and
where to install the bootloader were all achieved without incident, and the installation
was successful and functions normally on the test PC in its designated partitions.
Len E.

Return to “Installation & Boot”