LIke to add items to GUI XFCE Settings Manager

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dutchy
Level 1
Level 1

LIke to add items to GUI XFCE Settings Manager

Post by Dutchy »

Hello

Using XFCE 21.1, Xfce 4.16

Somehow deleted items form Gui Settings manager
Like to add them again.
How can I do that ?

Thanks
Dutchy
michael-hi
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LIke to add items to GUI XFCE Settings Manager

Post by michael-hi »

It's difficult to know what you might have done that would delete items from there accidentally. :? Anyway, this post on Xfce's own forums explains how to add items to the Settings Manager GUI so it may help in your situation:
https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=15263

Basically you go to /usr/share/applications and edit (as root) the .desktop file of the setting you want to add. If it's the Keyboard settings for instance, you would add X-XFCE-SettingsDialog;X-XFCE-HardwareSettings; to the end of the Categories line in the file xfce-keyboard-settings.desktop

Or have you deleted those individual settings altogether from your system, so they aren't even in the menu any more? Maybe a complete reinstall of the xfce4-settings package would help. :?:
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

michael-hi wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:40 pm It's difficult to know what you might have done that would delete items from there accidentally....
I'm stumped there.
... Maybe a complete reinstall of the xfce4-settings package would help. :?:
That'd be a very good thing to try, though "complete reinstall" might make it sound scarier than it is. I would go into synaptic package manager, hit the search button and find xfce4-settings, and then hit "mark for re-installation". In synaptic marking doesn't install or remove anything, you need to hit the Apply button. And read what messages there might be.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Dutchy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dutchy »

Ahhh, thanks a lot
Ill try option 1 first and resort to reinstall later. Thats because I like to understand how things work.
Cheers, Dutchy

Return to “Xfce”