Failed to start Light Display Manager at boot

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Andrei0016
Level 1
Level 1

Failed to start Light Display Manager at boot

Post by Andrei0016 »

Hi! I am trying to run a linux mint cinnamon vm in hyper-v but when I try to boot I get the error:

I did try to go into the terminal to the terminal and reinstall lightdm but no luck. Any idea what I can do or what went wrong?
Last edited by SMG on Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Installation & Boot to Virtual Machines because the issue is happening in a VM.
The Jobe New
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Failed to start Light Display Manager at boot

Post by The Jobe New »

Sorry, Cannot see the image. Paste your image at Imgur, copy the link and send it back to the forum.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Or you can upload images direct to the forum (size limit 200kb), see the attachments tab below the reply window.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
trinidad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trinidad »

I am trying to run a linux mint cinnamon vm in hyper-v
Couple of questions:
What install method did you use?
Are you referring to the ISO failing to display, or is the system already installed to hyper-v?

I have had no problems with Ubuntu or Ubuntu based systems like Mint, the same for Debian stuff, only BSD gave me a problem on hyper-v. Download the ISO and install the system from the ISO file. Don't use any system or ISO pre-configured for hyper-v. A lot of the so called pre-configured stuff is too stripped down to work full DEs right out of the box. Install from the downloaded Mint ISO file just like you normally would to disk. Use the default internet connection in hyper-v settings, you can always change it later. Use enhanced session mode and set its policy.

TC

Return to “Virtual Machines”