Conky Showoff thread 2024

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Koentje
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Conky Showoff thread 2024

Post by Koentje »

Yes, but i always test and improve my scripts so that they use the least amount of cpu load or ram usage. My cpu load idling is around 25% and all my conky's use around 30% of that 25%... i think that's acceptable for what is running.
I don't use programs like radeontop or other slow programs, but i source my data from files already on my system (if possible)!
Radeontop gets his data from /sys/class/drm/cardX/device. These are all text files with data. Normally you can cat these.. that is why i said before, fix your sysfs system!
As many other external programs read these data files, you don't need them if your sysfs system works!

Can you do me a favor and run below conky and make a screenshot. It shows a top5 of the cpu load and ram usage of your conkies and related bash scripts!
conky-usage.tar.gz
(23.64 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

In the top-middle you see the conky-usage running... the spectrum equalizer is using the most cpu! That's why i do not run it standard, but only to play with.
https://www.cobrasoft.nl/download/conky/my-conkys.mp4
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

Koentje wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:42 pm Yes, but i always test and improve my scripts so that they use the least amount of cpu load or ram usage. My cpu load idling is around 25% and all my conky's use around 30% of that 25%... i think that's acceptable for what is running.
I don't use programs like radeontop or other slow programs, but i source my data from files already on my system (if possible)!
Radeontop gets his data from /sys/class/drm/cardX/device. These are all text files with data. Normally you can cat these.. that is why i said before, fix your sysfs system!
As many other external programs read these data files, you don't need them if your sysfs system works!

Can you do me a favor and run below conky and make a screenshot. It shows a top5 of the cpu load and ram usage of your conkies and related bash scripts!

conky-usage.tar.gz

In the top-middle you see the conky-usage running... the spectrum equalizer is using the most cpu! That's why i do not run it standard, but only to play with.
https://www.cobrasoft.nl/download/conky/my-conkys.mp4
Image <-- Cick for sudo inxi --usb -Fxxxnmprz output, updated hourly!
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

Did more digging and found how to capture the monitor size in millimeters and convert it into inches. Have a display for this for all 3 monitor ports. I swapped the order of the categories to something that looked more sensible, and generated double and triple monitor icons to break up the extensive left margin space.

I am really having fun putting minimalis widgets together :D

Koentje
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Koentje »

conky usage looks normal.. so the heavy cpu usage is from something else.
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

Koentje wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:24 am conky usage looks normal.. so the heavy cpu usage is from something else.
As a test I just saved what I have open as a theme and shut down all my minimalis widgets. Its like I'm on a new computer. The browsers that took 40 seconds to spawn now open instantly. Folders are opening faster, I have no typing lag, grabbing and moving objects on the desktop is vastly improved. The grab window action no longer pauses, the drag action no longer pauses and the window doesn't get stuck in a semi-transparent state for several seconds when released at new position now.

Something in minimalis is absolutely slowing my computer to a crawl. I would love to implement replacing data gathering with system files reading as you suggested.

I have left SMG hanging in a thread where she is helping me repair some system damage and getting my 3rd monitor operational again. I have to dedicate some time and attention to that today but if you have the time and willingness over the next several days I would love to address whats going on with minimalis. As soon as I can I will start re-enabling widgets one by one and see if I can identify any particular widget that slows me down.

Have to bail for a bit now and give my GSD some time and attention, but I will be back at keys later in the day :)
Koentje
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Koentje »

Logansfury wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:02 pm As a test I just saved what I have open as a theme and shut down all my minimalis widgets. Its like I'm on a new computer.
That is because you don't listen to me! From the beginning of your conky experience i have said to you not to use certain programs that are slow, cpu heavy or use 1 command multiple times in a conky!
When you run one or two conky's it doesn't matter that much, but slowly your conky's are growing, so now it begins to matter..
Something in minimalis is absolutely slowing my computer to a crawl. I would love to implement replacing data gathering with system files reading as you suggested.
Fixing sysfs is important to improve your speed in conky!
That and cutting your conky's up in more seperate conky's.. some parts of a conky needs a fast update interval, while others do not. Cutting them up improves speed!
I have left SMG hanging in a thread where she is helping me repair some system damage and getting my 3rd monitor operational again.
Fix that first.. have you purged the software you installed???

btw, keep this topic clean of other stuff then conky.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”